Perimenopause,has anyone been getting ocular migraines ?..

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi girls I’m perimenopause and have been for a few years this awlful peri has changed me as a person and mentally , I’ve been getting times when I see zigzags in my eyes found out I’m having ocular migraine s once the zigzags go I’m left with a headache was wondering if anyone else gets this , I’m sure it’s hormone related as yesterday st Work I was feeling so down and tearful even go the point I wanted to be with both my deceased parents ... peri is like taking over my body and mind and it’s awlful ... does snyone else feel like this ... I lost both my parents my mum 4 years ago and my dad a year ago .... thankyou for reading if writing this helps xx

2 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Dear Jan

Yes I started them two years ago and then they stopped but started again this year in June. I was averaging about four a month sometimes more. I think sometimes light set them off and other times im not sure why I get them. I sometimes take antihistamines and for aome reason stops them x

• Posted

Thankyou pink cat fairy , they are so scarey I’ve had one this morning and my head is throbbing , it’s all the other problems peri brings , the anxiety the mood swings anger dizziness that’s only a very small example of what I go through daily , and when I get the occasional good day I feel amazing and wish I could always feel that way .... I work in the health professional which is good in some ways I can get advice from other docs and nurses but it don’t help my state of mind ... I feel like my body and mind has been taken over I don’t see the same person in the mirror anymore ... thankyou for your reply xx
    • Posted

Dear Jan

I was wondering how your occular migraines were? I thought I was doing well in March only had one but this month April I have had quite a few!! X

• Posted

Hiya they were doing well hadn’t had any for a few months then last week while away on holiday I had one but nothing like usual so just hoping that part of Peri is getting better I was Peri symptom free for the 4 days while away now I’m back all my anxieties have returned 💕

• Posted

Oh that's good, I can cope with the odd few but when I get more my anxiety kicks in even though I had a mri which was OK and saw a neurologist who wasnt concerned. Im nearly three years into menopause and was hoping things would settle as it was feeling like the calm after the storm then some symptom pops up!

• Edited

Hi Hun ... today another ocular migraine has appeared had the zigzags left with a headache tearful and high blood pressure ... sick and tired of this rollercoaster of emotions and symptoms ... getting frustrated with feeling this way ... starting to average one a week again now ... just do not know what’s causing it but it’s doing a dam good job of getting me down ... hope yours have subsided for you 💕

• Posted

Dear Jan

Sorry to hear you're getting the occular migraines again. I was doing well last month (only One) which I think was set off by the lighting in the vets! This month has been bad I have had about six (two in one day) I had a really late night one of those days and was glaring at my phone so wasnt suprised I had one but on a couple occasions they came on and I dont know why! I have added an app which lowers the light on my phone too, it does get you down doesnt it? I did go to the docs and he prescribed beta blockers but im not sure I want to take them!

• Posted

Hi .... sorry too that your experiencing more again , yesterday’s one was awlful which left me with a bad head all day which caused me my anxieties which then put up my blood pressure, but it was the weird thoughts I was having . It worried me I thought my grown up children didn’t care about me thought my partner was seeing someone it was all out of character today I spoke to my partner and told him how I felt yesterday and can now see how silly my thoughts were , today my heads still muzzy but thankfully no more zigzags still not feeling great but thankful it’s my day off today as was yesterday but knowing I’m back to work tomorrow is freaking me out a bit as I go long shifts like 13 hours and if you feel a bit out of sorts you have to carry on I work on a hospital ward ... I’m already on beta blockers for my blood pressure but still getting high bp and zigzags .... wonder when this will all be over not had a period for 6 months hope it all ends soon ... I wish you well and hope your zigzags all stop soon for you ... it’s great to be able to talk to someone that has also been going through them .. take care 💕

• Posted

I forgot to say im sorry you have lost both parents, I sadly lost my mum and sister close together twenty years ago x
    • Posted

Thankyou , I’m sorry you too have had such loss it’s made a huge void in my life ... my parents were my life everyday I would either see them or phone them and looked after them both with the help of my brother for 8 years .. mum died sunddenly from breast cancer and dad had dementia .... I can’t go on HRT because of the link with breast cancer do have to ride this peri with just the help of a understanding partner and good group of work colleagues x
    • Posted

Dear Jan

I cant take hrt either as I lost my sister too from breast cancer, yes help from family and friends helped me through and time heals but you never forget xx

• Posted

Hi pinkcatfairy... I am struggling with my loss of mum and dad , they say time heals I do hope so ....we only had 5weeks with mum once she was diagnosed it was so quick xx
    • Posted

Dear Jan

So sorry you didnt have long before she was diagnosed to passing, my sister was having treatment for breast cancer when my mum was taken ill, we didnt know there was anything wrong with mum, I think she kept quiet becauae of everything going on with my sister, she died within a week (she had a burst stomach ulcer) we didnt see it coming. i was in pieces because my sister's cancer was terminal and the last thing I expected was mum dying, plus my brother was in the leukemia ward having treatment. I think it was all too much for my mum! My sister passed 15 months after my mum, thankfully my brother is still here! I lost my gran the year before my mum so grief was all around. I cant say it was easy (this was about twenty years or so now) I cant remember when the pain subsided bereavement is a process! What with menopause it must be hard for you but you will get through it xx

• Posted

Dear pinkcatfairy .... I’m so sorry for your losses ...you have had an horrendous time with it ....I think mum knew she had a lump but didn’t say anything....she was looking after dad who had had a stroke ....the pain still seems like yesterday and each day I cry I miss them terribly...I do hope I can get through all this greif and menopause it’s killing me ... thankyou for chatting your so kind and I wish you all the best xx
  • Posted

Hi there! Sorry you feel so awful at the moment . I  get ophthalmic migraine. So I get distorted vision , flashing lights and blindness in my left eye. They are depressing and debilitating . Mine are definitely hormonal. I track my period with an app and I get them mid cycle and around a period. Go see the doctor and ask if you are suitable for a prescription of sumatriptan. Gets rid of mine within 30 mins xx
    • Posted

Thankyou Kate I was starting to worry it was more than hormones as I’ve not heard or read on the forum of anyone else getting them xx
    • Posted

No problem at all. This group is an amazing source of support for all of us

😌xx

• Posted

Kate your definatly right it’s a shame they don’t do groups for all us ladies xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.