Perimenopause,has anyone been getting ocular migraines ?..

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi girls I’m perimenopause and have been for a few years this awlful peri has changed me as a person and mentally , I’ve been getting times when I see zigzags in my eyes found out I’m having ocular migraine s once the zigzags go I’m left with a headache was wondering if anyone else gets this , I’m sure it’s hormone related as yesterday st Work I was feeling so down and tearful even go the point I wanted to be with both my deceased parents ... peri is like taking over my body and mind and it’s awlful ... does snyone else feel like this ... I lost both my parents my mum 4 years ago and my dad a year ago .... thankyou for reading if writing this helps xx

2 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello, yes, this is hormonal and I also had the zigzags, but they were colorful like prisms. I had silent migraines where I felt as if one side of my head was buzzing. I was told to take NSAID, or an aspirin which I would opt for what I had available. As your hormones level off, these symptoms will go away by themselves. 
    • Posted

Thankyou sochima 822

It’s scarey the first time I had it I thought I was having a stroke I couldn’t see anything but zigzags, but now after quite s few I’m beginning to control myself when I get them , but leaves me with a muzzy headache will take some ibuprofen, thankyou for the advice .... you would think by now with all the advance with medicine they would come up with a pill that combats menopause....😁wishful thinking ..  thanks again x

• Posted

Hi, I get those dreadful migrants. They resemble mini stroke with me and very scary. I feel little numb and confused with it too.

Sorry to hear you are missing your parents. Being vanurable and emotional doesn't help does it. I do hope this meno will be over one day and we will be much stronger ladies. Take care. Hugs.

• Posted

Hi Jan 

Yes I get the zig zags also just had a square flashing always for 2 minuets never any longer , freaks me out every time , been to dr and options they just say it’s a silent migraine , dr said if I get a lot and can’t cope will give beta blockers get them once a week , but had one yesterday and today 

Sending you hugs xx

• Posted

Hi Sharon .. thankfully mine arnt as frequent as yours mine are like a zigzag staircase it’s weird my vision goes nearly even with my specs there’s no focus normally last around 10/15  mins but it’s after the zigzags I get the migraine, I’m already on beta blockers for high BP , had one this morning luckily day off today ... taken paracetamol and ibuprofen like one of our fellow ladies have recommended... not shifting yet .. just be glad when all these nasty symptoms disappear and give me back my normal ish life back ... thankyou Hun wish your migraines to ease for you too xx
  • Posted

Hi Jan

I get these from time to time and they make me feel rubbish. I chalk it up as yet another symptom and try not to worry, which in my case is easier said than done! X

• Posted

Hi Sarah ... until I spoke to these loverly ladies today I wasn’t sure it was another symptom , but feeling more at ease now , but peri has given me lots of heath anxieties what are starting to control my life ... wish you all the best on this rollercoaster adventure from hell xx
    • Posted

Join the health anxiety club...I feel like I'm founder member!! Im permanently googling symptoms and planning my own funeral. I draw strength from the incredible ladies on this site. Lots of love x

• Posted

Hi ... I do sometimes read the anxiety forums ... and yeah I google too but it’s not always good for my mind makes my anxieties worse 💕

• Posted

Thats the thing though...googling makes it worse but for me its like a compulsion. I google everyday. Its not good I know and wish I could stop. We went to America in August and all I could think about was 9 hours with no wifi and therefore no google!!!
  • Posted

I started getting ocular migraines a few years ago, before I connected anything to peri.

I do get them still and can usually pinpoint them around my cycle :-)

• Posted

Hiya ... I’m not having periods regularly... I can go 8...9 months without one then bang it happens it’s been 2 months since my last so really hard to judge ... but was wondering if I’m getting them around the time I would have had a period 💕

• Posted

Hi, After a lifetime of rarely even getting a slight headache, I developed zig zag vision distortion followed by acute pain in side of head. The first episode was frightening, and like you, I thought I was having a stroke. I did go to see my GP. Since then, I've had attacks on and off and have noted they are triggered increasingly by bright lights (didn't used to bother me but do now), lack of sleep, high stress etc. A friend suggested taking both 2 paracetamol and 2 ibuprofen as soon as symptoms start. I've found this stops or reduces an episode reasonably quickly. I wouldn't usually take tablets but have resorted to them to control these migraine type attacks. Hang in there, once you get more understanding of what triggers them for you, they will seem more manageable. Best wishes.

• Posted

Thankyou so much pat I’m going to try both combinations I had the zigzags yesterday morning and still am left with a nasty headache ...thanks again xx
  • Posted

Hi jan66332,

Yes. I have been getting these for a few years now. The first time I got one I thought I was having a stroke, and it scared me to death. I did research on them and found that a lot of them are brought on by stress, and when we aren’t feeling good, of course we’re gonna stress. Mine never last longer than 15 minutes and are usually accompanied by a headache too. I have high anxiety too so that doesn’t help, but I have learned to close my eyes and just take myself to a relaxing place and breathe until it passes. These ocular migraine‘s, along with the list of other symptoms that I’m having with menopause are no fun at all. We are all in this together. This is something I have to tell myself constantly. My husband is probably ready to trade me in on a new model. LOL.Thank goodness he is a patient man!  I have a new symptom every day it seems. My  most recent one is ringing in my ears. I have had ringing in my ears before, but not as often as I do now.  I am on lorazepam for anxiety, and I also take Dr Bach’s Rescue Remedy gummies, and they are all natural. I get them from Sprouts. I hope this helps! 

• Posted

Hi Carmie 25 ... Sorry you have experienced these too they are frightening when they happen , I’ve got really bad anxiety and so negitive about nearly everything I haven’t had the ringing yet but my new one is counting I keep counting things always upto 5 when I start to count I know my anxieties are going to be bad ... I’ve also started having rescue remedy ...thankyou for chatting and yes it’s been a great help ... take care 💕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.