Perimenopause,has anyone been getting ocular migraines ?..

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi girls I’m perimenopause and have been for a few years this awlful peri has changed me as a person and mentally , I’ve been getting times when I see zigzags in my eyes found out I’m having ocular migraine s once the zigzags go I’m left with a headache was wondering if anyone else gets this , I’m sure it’s hormone related as yesterday st Work I was feeling so down and tearful even go the point I wanted to be with both my deceased parents ... peri is like taking over my body and mind and it’s awlful ... does snyone else feel like this ... I lost both my parents my mum 4 years ago and my dad a year ago .... thankyou for reading if writing this helps xx

2 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jan.

I had a few migraines when I was pregnant and then just the odd one. I'm 51 now and they have come back with avengeance . Up until now I had no menopause symptoms. They are also causing me to have panic attacks. I lost both of my parents in my 20's and my only sister last year. I'm single so have nobody at home for support and I also work full time. They are leaving me exhausted. The last 8 days I have had about 6 attacks and then 2 weeks after my last period I started bleeding again. Looks like the menopause is starting!!!

• Posted

Hello Jan. I am so sorry for the void of the loss of your parents. Also, for the peiple who have these things constantly, I am very sorry for the discomfort and interruption of your life this causes.

I am 52, have anxiety since the death of my dad 9 years ago which scared the s**t out of me and left me so incredibly sorrowful. Recent hormones tests show "post menopausal" but I still have periods that are usually quite regular. Fairly high stress as I manage a new business and am training people.

I have had 2 ocular migraines.

The first one was a few days before my period started 2 months ago and another last night (period is a little late).

Both times before this started I had felt "out of sorts" on and off for a week or so which I attribute to hormonal fluctuations.

This recent time I kept thinking that I need to go in a cave and think about my life and what I'm doing. Lol.

Both times, bright light sensitivity and grouchiness directly precedes the zig zag bright flashing light show and then a blurry blob in the middle. Like trying to see through a drop of clear oil in the middle of a light show.

The first time this happened I thought I was having a stroke and freaked out and started having an anxiety attack. I was at my Mom's eating lunch and said, "I can't see properly and I think I am having a stroke, thank you for lunch but I need to go home." My friend drove me home and it went away in the car.

I looked it up, considered my family health, my age, my stress level, being in "reverse puberty" and thought that I need to make some stress reduction changes. I was bummed out really bad the next day.

This time, 2 months later, I was taking a bath and when the zig zag started I knew what it was and stayed mostly mellow and simply continued my bath then wrapped up in a towel, went to be early and took some Tylenol. The headache pain was not too bad.

This morning I felt really sad.

For me personally I know that part of my stress is inner and part of it is outer. Having a horrible president doesn't help but there isn't much I can do about the Orange Menace.

• Posted

Yes I get the ocular migraine and it’s frightening, usually it last about 20 mins to get my full sight back then I get a headache or just a heavy head. Yes all these nasty symptoms take over your mind it’s a horrible time and like you I have no Mum to turn to, my mum died when I was 17yrs so I don’t know what she would of gone through as she was 45yrs old. Sending you a comforting hug x
    • Posted

Hi ... so sorry you lost your mum at such a young age , I never really spoke to mum about going through peri so had no idea when all these things started to happen it’s been 4 years since mum and 1 year since dad it’s been the worst 5 years of my life ... I’d had no ocular migraines for a few months until last week we had a holiday and while laying on the beach it arrived again but one good thing it went really quick even though I had bad zigzags in my eyes it vanished quick but was long enough for anxieties to kick in again ... I had 4 really good days on holiday no symptoms at all apart from zigzags been home 2 days and I’m a mess again , it’s made me sad as I was feeling back to my original happy self .... had more than enough of all this just want to feel me again ... wish you luck on your peri journey 💕

• Posted

The fact that you were on the beach it could have been the sun that gave you the aura, I had quite a few in Spain a few years ago along with the red wine a sure trigger! Im sure light causes mine as I had one after I opened the fridge once but sometimes when im not sure triggered them that causes the anxiety
    • Posted

Hi I was in Spain too but didn’t drink it could well be lights as I had one at work few months ago when I was on computer another when I was watching tv they started after around 5 mins of being on computer and tv 
  • Posted

Can I just say to everyone who has replied on this discussion it has helped me to know that it isnt only me who get these occular/silent migraines. It seems to be one of the less talked about symptom on the menopausal forum doesnt it? It just helps to know that your not alone! Even if you dont wish anyone else to suffer them.
  • Posted

Hi yes i suffer similar migraines, thankfully there are now down to one per month, I have been taking supplements- mega B, fish oil and magnesium- I definitely believe they held. Plus I was so tired I could barely function come the afternoon 
  • Posted

I would also recommend taking a hot shower when this develops. I know it’s least thing you want to do but I did and the migraine lifted as did all the groggy feeling after a migraine 
  • Posted

Hi Jan, I had a sudden onset of exactly the type of occular migraine that you describe. They now occur less frequently. I've learned to notice the early start, when one is about to be triggered. I've found I can often ward them off by quickly taking headache tablets, drinking water, avoiding or moving away from any bright or moving/flashing lights and sitting or lying calmly for 10-20 minutes. Over time, I've also learned not to panic so much, so when they do occur, they seem to pass more quickly. I still get the dull headache afterwards but overall I deal with them much better. I also spoke to my GP. It's always good to get medical advice. Mine have less negative impact on me now. I hope they improve soon for you too. Best wishes, Debbie

• Posted

Hi ... 

Glad your learning how to deal with them .... yesterday’s one knocked me for 6 today headache is like a dull muzzy head .... my trouble is with my health anxieties I do panic which probaly made it ten times worse ..  wish you all the best and thankyou for taking time to reply it does help so much as sometimes I feel I’m going mad with all these symptoms but when you speak to people you know your not alone which helps 💕

• Posted

HI. I’ve always had menstrual migraines but now at 50 with lots of peri menopause symptoms I have one migraine after another. They are really bad and scary to the point i’m convinced i’m Going to die! Just about to go on holiday but feel so stressed as i’ve Had tension headaches and now a really bad migraine all week. All I want to do is stay at home! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.