Perimenopause. Has anyone got burning mouth syndrome

Posted , 19 users are following.

Amongst other things I have a terrible burning mouth,nose and tongue. It tastes metallic and sometimes it is hard to swallow. I also have a buzzing face and headaches with it.

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Michelle im with you on this I sympathise. I have the horrible taste and ive had the burning painful tongue - also tingly burning nose and face almost like the after feeing of an injection from the dentist is the best way to describe it. It's horrible ive got earache and ringing in the ear aswell. Hope you feel better soon x
    • Posted

No I Havnt been to doctor about it im too scared, I have anxiety aswell and all these nasty symptoms don't help, I'm in meno and God knows how much longer I have to deal with all this crap, it's neverending x
    • Posted

THE ANXIETY IS UNBELEIVABLE AND MY MOUTH BURNS LIKE I HAD A VERY SPICEY SOUP.  MY FACE ALSO BURNS LIKE A ALLERGIC REACTION.  IM A MESS.  DOE ANYONE GET A THRUSH IN THIER MOUTH ALSO?
  • Posted

Hi I have had this for well over a year been to see Ent twice, he at first thought it was acid reflux gave me tablets for 2 months they didn't work, then said allergies, now he is convinced that it's the peri Meno, I have seen two different Ent and they both said the same, so it does look as if it's another symptom, I still suffer with it 😭😭😭
  • Posted

I have burning gums and lips feel chapped. I think cause I switched toothpastes again. Bad idea.
  • Posted

I did have the burning tongue and gums also. But that taste was the worst. In the beginning I'd have it an odd day here and there. I was forever researching it and thought it must be 'pine mouth syndrome'

from pine nuts as I love pesto.

At one point for months I was never free of it and the only thing that helped was extra strong mints.

• Posted

Hope yours isn't as bad.

I had the first year period free where it was there all the time.

Second year the taste became kind of lemony not as nasty but just as annoying.

I went on HRT 4 months ago. It all came back with a vengeance also nausea for 2 weeks at about 6 to 8 weeks on it. Then it went, not overnight just started days I'd notice it wasn't there I haven't had it at all about 2 months now.

After a coffee sometimes it's niggling to come on and my sense of taste isn't quite right for half an or so. I think it's because the bitter coffee taste is something like it.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. My jaw is stiff with it and face buzzing. Did you have that?
    • Posted

It sounds much the same Michelle, my face can really hurt at times especially my cheeks I have had buzzing under my skin. I have developed an odd little twitch too on the right in my nose to mouth line.

I had a lot of problems with jaw on right side and was checked for I think it was tmj or tjm but it was ok.

Also for a year or so clicked when I was chewing on right side.

• Edited

Hi Michelle,

For the past four months, my periods have been very strange. For two months I started 17 days apart. Last month my period only lasted for 2 days and it was more like spotting. This month has been absolutely HORRIBLE!! It's as if I've been hit by a freight train of perimenopause symptoms all at once. I did start 28 days from the last time that I spotted last month, which is my normal cycle, but until I found this forum, I was beginning to think I was dying of some type of disease. Every single day for the past 4 days it seems to add one more symptom...headaches, debilitating cramps, night sweats, hot flashes, cold chills, heart palpitations, completely exhausted, insomnia, mood swings... one minute I want to scratch someone's eyes and then the next minute I want cry my eyes out. Foggy memory, (where did I put my keys/phone? Why did I come in here? What is it that you said again that you needed? I don't remember saying that to you?). Each of these four days seem to get worse and worse and then yesterday the tip of my tongue felt like I ate or drank something spicy, but I know I didn't in fact, even drinking coffee seemed to burn the inside of my mouth. Earlier this evening, I felt like I ate a mouthful of cinnamon. The inside of my lips are puffy as well and when I looked down at my feet after feeling like they were really hot, my toes are red and puffy and they burn too! I did a little research and found out that it's very common to be deficient in vitamin b12. I Googled "vitamin b12 deficiency from perimenopause" and all of the symptoms (with the exception of hair loss) matched me to a T. I was becoming so worried that I already called my doctor's office to make an appointment at the end of the month. I honestly thought I was dying of some type of disease or something. Once I found the information on the vitamin B12 deficiency, I made a point to go to the store and buy me some really good daily vitamins to get myself back on track. I'm always good at taking care of everyone else like my daughters who are still living with me at home, but are also adults now. I'm really bad about taking care of myself. Well not anymore. I've always heard stories about menopause but never any specific information other than hot flashes and heavy or light periods some mood swings, poor appetite, blah blah blah. I wasn't expecting this! I know now what I'm going through and I'm thankful to find other women who can relate. It gives me hope that if I change my diet and start taking daily and B vitamins faithfully, perhaps I will be able to calm this hellish storm with and in time. It's like I just stepped through the front door of some kind of hormone hell and it slammed right behind me as I came through. It's like I can't escape it! Even right now I'm cramping so bad, I just want to roll up in my bed in fetal position for the rest of the night escape from my body so I can take a break from all of these excruciating moments/minutes/hours/days and even years!? Oh I hope not. Not too many years, I hope...oh please, not too many. Now I keep feeling like my skin is itchy, especially my breasts. I just had a mammogram done last Saturday and it came out normal, so at least I can rule that out. Thanks so much for mentioning this symptom. I've long suffered from geographic tongue since I was very little. I've struggled with eating things that are too spicy or acidic. Now this burning mouth on top of it?!

Hugs to you... hugs to you all!!!!

• Posted

Chasity, I have the same thing!! I have burning tongue & lips! I have a lot of symptoms, and the crying...ugh!! So frustrating!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.