Perimenopause or Anxiety or ???

Posted , 253 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I recently joined this, my first ever forum, in the hope of gaining knowledge and sharing experiences on the strange symptoms I have been experiencing the last few weeks.

My first post focused on Anxiety and the possibility of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It has recently been brought to my attention, there is a possibility my symptoms could be hormone related. Something I never actually considered.

Brief list of symptoms...

Fatigue (groggy and heavy type tiredness)

Brain Fog

Feeling detached and 'spaced out'

Weak and Shaky

Jelly Legs

Weak Fingers and Toes

Sensitive to light and sound

Sometimes feels like I have flu or a bad virus (even though I know I don't)

Light Headed

Light Dizziness

Easily tired out

Occasional Palpitations

Frequent urination (occasionally)

Anxious (more so than usual)

Brief History...

I have had anxiety issues, on and off, for many years and also hormone induced migraines. This year the migraines are definitely worse and so too is the anxiety. I had an 8 day brutal migraine early/mid September, followed by 8 days of severe brain fog/dull fuzzy head. I haven't been the same since. I'm also wondering if my symptoms are migraine related? I've had 2 full blood tests done and 2 urine samples taken. All came back normal/clear and healthy. I've also been to see an ENT consultant who ruled out an inner ear virus. He also checked my throat and balance. I had a full eye examination last week and my eyes are in great shape. I have an MRI booked next week and also an appointment to get an ECG recorder fitted for 48 hours.

My symptoms are so broad and general, it could be a number of things... I have even considered CFS. Now I'm thinking it could be hormone related? I feel more anxious not knowing what this is!

Is anybody experiencing anything similar?

Any replies/advice would be greatly appreciated x

27 likes, 1424 replies

1424 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi hun thanks for ur reply. We sound exactly the same infact in bed now as felt dizzy all day. I just wish I could find something that will help. Just trying the ladycare magnet which has taken my hot flushes away completly but felt I had palpatations and feel dizzy and sick . We will get through it tho. Just didn't realise it was so difficult best wishes x
    • Posted

Hi Julie

Try soya milk this helps balance out oestrogen I feel like you dizzy lightheaded just out of sorts the anxiety attacks are terrible they make me cry my hubby says just snap out of it which makes me feel terrible as this nightmare is not of my choosing x hope you get some relief soon Hun this forum makes me feel less alone xx

• Posted

Hi Debbie 

I bought a Soya Milk and didnt even take lid off after reading it isnt so good for people... this quite alarmed me .. so sticking with my usual supplements,

i shall be tipping mine away 😦

here below is what i read ...

Most Soy is Not a Safe Solution for Menopause Relief

Unlike the Asian culture, where people eat small amounts of whole, mostly fermented non-GMO soybean products, western food processors separate the soybean into two golden commodities—protein and oil.

And there is nothing natural or safe about these products or the vast majority of unfermented soy on the market.

Soy contains hormonal mimics in the form of isoflavones, which can not only disrupt delicate hormone systems in your body, but also act as goitrogens, substances that suppress your thyroid function.

When the thyroid is suppressed, a host of health problems result, namely: 

Anxiety and mood swings 

Insomnia 

Difficulty losing weight 

Difficulty conceiving children 

Digestive problems and food allergies 

Soy foods also contain anti-nutritional factors such as saponins, soyatoxin, phytates, protease inhibitors, oxalates, goitrogens and estrogens.

Some of these factors interfere with the enzymes you need to digest protein. While a small amount of anti-nutrients would not likely cause a problem, the amount of soy that many Americans are now eating is extremely high and poses a health threat for many.

The two worst soy products though are infant soy formula and soy protein powders. In my opinion, there simply is never any reason you or anyone you love should be using these products.

Dr. Kaayla Daniel, author of The Whole Soy Story, points out thousands of studies linking soy to malnutrition, digestive distress, immune-system breakdown, thyroid dysfunction, cognitive decline, reproductive disorders and infertility—even cancer and heart disease.

• Posted

Soya Milk Continued ... Info to be aware of ...

seems alot say its bad... Not good ...

Soy is widely promoted as a natural alternative to hormone replacement therapy (HRT) in relieving hot flashes, bone loss and other symptoms of menopause. And since soy is a natural food, many health-conscious women mistakenly believe it is a safe choice.

If you are currently taking soy to relieve your menopausal symptoms, you should know that not only is it ineffective, it could actually be damaging your health.

Soy Found Ineffective at Relieving Hot Flashes, Bone Loss

A new study of women taking either soy isoflavone tablets or a placebo for two years found no difference regarding changes in bone mineral density in the spine, hip or neck, while a significantly larger proportion of participants in the soy group experienced hot flashes.

So, clearly, soy supplements actually did more harm than good.

In case you were wondering, the reason why soy was initially targeted as a potential menopause "treatment" is because of two natural drugs it contains -- genistein and daidzein -- which mimic estrogen Menopause occurs when you stop producing estrogen and progesterone, and your periods cease. So, it seemed sensible to scientists that replacing those hormones would alleviate menopausal symptoms.

When this was done artificially using synthetic hormones like Premarin, Premique, Prempak C ..( Pregnant Mares Urine HRT) negative side effects, such as an increased risk of breast cancer, heart disease and insulin levels resulted.

So soy was considered a "natural" alternative.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of soy at your local market is not a health food, nor a substance researchers would advise taking in supplemental form for menopause or any other condition. 

• Posted

Hi Hun 

Thanks fir the info don't know what to do now as it has helped me so I think as I am desperate I'll stick to it for a while see how they go x does anyone know if you can take black cohosh with rain forest maca that jay told us about cxx keep talking girls it helps you stay strong xxx

• Posted

hi Debs 

not sure if you can take them together or not ..

i take maca.. Never taken black cohosh as i think its abit risky..

How to Take Black Cohosh

Black cohosh is available in supplement form by a variety of different commercial companies. It may be taken up to two times a day for six months, but should not be taken for a longer period of time. Side effects of black cohosh include headaches and mild stomach upset.

More seriously, it has also been linked with an increase in liver enzymes. There have been some cases of liver inflammation due to overuse of black cohosh.

Maca Root

The Maca root has been used for centuries in South America, both by indigenous people and by the Spanish. Combined with food, the maca root was thought to be an aphrodisiac and people today still eat it for its sexual benefits. The maca root, which looks much like a radish, is also excellent at reducing the frequency and intensity of menopausal symptoms.

The maca root does not contain plant estrogens but, instead, is an adaptogen that is, it helps to balance out our body's own existing hormone system and encourages the production of hormones. Maca root also contains high levels of calcium, magnesium, zinc, and iron as well as Vitamins B1, B2, B12, C, and E.

Benefits of Maca Root

Maca root is highly beneficial to women entering menopause, because it encourages an increase and then a balance between estrogen and progesterone.

This increase in estrogen helps especially to reduce hot flashes and vaginal dryness. Maca root also helps to increase libido, restoring sex drive that was lost during menopause. Maca root is also thought to help decrease the effects of memory loss and osteoporosis.

jay xx

• Posted

Hi Hun thanks for the info I will get some ASAP when my black cohosh runs out I've got a week supply left x I have had a good day today feel quite normal hope it lasts for he next 40 yrs xx hope ur good xxx 
    • Posted

Crap !! Just bought me another crate of it today. X well down the sink this will go I have never drink milk not even as a kid I coulnt stomach it but soya I like so I guess it's bk to research xx if hugs. X
    • Posted

Hi Jay,  I am just starting to have frequent hot flashes and starting with the anxiety and crabbiness.  I was looking at your post about Maca Root and had heard of it but wondered what are the doses that should be taken for menopause?  Do  you take the powder?  Or some other form?

Thanks,

• Posted

Hi, Im new here but totally agree with you. Ive had various symptons on and off mild to severe for about 2 to 5 years. I avoid too much soy because I dont think its that good for us and I'm a vegetarian. I try to stick to natural foods and eat healthily.
  • Posted

This is really for Tanya because it's about HRT but it's also for anyone going into the menopause because all these anxiety states and general fogginess is totally like going into the menopause. I had loads of problems and had not really considered being menopausal but I probably was. However, I had a hysterectomy in 2007 after it was realised I had massive fibroids which were causing problems, - that's a long story but not really relevant to this discussion thread. I had previously been told I was probably menopausal and that I couldn't have the hysterectomy as the fibroids would shrink once my oestrogen level went down, but new circumstances changed that and I did have the surgery. A few months before that I had started to have very severe COLD sweating, not hot sweats like any normal woman, but as this continued up to the hysterectomy I immediately begged them to put me on HRT in the hope that this miserable symptom would disappear. Within 2 weeks they had stopped!! I was and still am delighted that I had the support of the hospital in prescribing HRT immediately I'd had the surgery. I started on the lowest dose but was still getting the cold sweats when I went to the gym, I would be exercising and instead of getting hotter I was freezing through and through and sweating buckets, so I went to my GP and asked for the higher dose of HRT which I have taken ever since, with no side effects at all. HRT gets a mixed press but what matters is how YOU feel about taking it, and whether YOU have any problems with taking it. We're all different, I have a friend who can hardly take any medication at all without severe side effects, whereas I can take anything with no trouble at all. I hope this helps a few people with some of the many concerns that have been expressed in this discussion. All the best, Alison
    • Posted

Hi Alison

what is the name of the hrt and the dose?

thanks 

very helpful!

• Posted

Hi Nicole

If you want relief.. I started using the kinder hrt ovestin estriol. Vaginally .,

Oral can go via liver 😞

Patches trans dermal

Never take natural progesterone,

It stores up in body fat and messes woman up. 

Depends were u are in peri. To what u need

I am just in full meno, confirmed.

Gyno said estriol vaginal cream would benefit me gently, as i had a natural peri

And oestrogen i lack now full meno 

Thought i would share

Jay xx

• Posted

Hi Alison, I was put on hrt about 18 months ago.  It basically stopped my hot flushes, insomnia and anxiety.  But the last month I started feeling like the hot flushes were trying to make a come back and my anxiety started getting worse.  Just wondering what dose you are on? My Dr. seems to think 1.5 mgs of estrogen is a high dose.. Im currently on 1 mg. cheers :D
    • Posted

Just started HRT two weeks ago, no changes yet and another severe head rush/nauseau/dizziness/tingly spell within last hour. Scary stuff. Was diagnosed as peri afer FSH blood test, and 6 mos of doctor visits trying to figure out what was wrong with me.

Am on .50 estradiol and 2.5 of prog. How long does it take to work???

• Posted

Hi Julie, I'm just wondering how you were diagnosed as peri etc. I'm almost 35 and I've been dealing with peri like symptoms since I came off birth control in May 2015-I've been experiencing the tremors and tingling etc more since June 2016. I've been told it's anxiety but I know it's brought on by hormones as I have tracked my symptoms to when I ovulate and when I get my period. I just wondered how long it took for doctors to finally diagnose you as being in peri? Thank you. I hope what they have prescribed you will start working soon. Fingers crossed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.