Perimenopause or GAD????

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hello Ladies,

I'm back again with a little confusion. I was already apprehensive or should I say anxious about my GP appointment today. I had a panic attack while I was there and just couldn't seem to calm down. He gave me a script for Ativan and said I need to relax. My anxiety this week has been through the roof. I've never had issues with anxiety but since all my other symtpoms started I have been on edge. I can't focus on my health because im always thinking that something is going to happen to me. I know the numerous tests tell me I'm ok but I can't shake the doom and gloom feelings. They just come out of nowhere. Does anyone else ever feel like the doom and gloom and is this normal? I am starting to think I have generalized anxiety disorder where im just out of sorts all the time.

2 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is me all the time. Always worried and anxious. Thinking something terrible is wrong with me. I went to go get blood work this morning because I have a follow-up appointment with my primary care doctor next week Friday and I'm already feeling so anxious about my lab results.

I been in perimenopause for about 8 years but my anxiety and panic attacks seem to be getting worse. I'm always dreading something is wrong or something bad is going to happen.

I'm constantly depressed and feeling so overwhelmed.

• Posted

Me too lately. I haven't been diagnosed with peri but I'm certain that what it is. I was going to the ER everyday with this anxiety and feelings and sensations that I never had before. I had an occasional heart palps but noticing I only get them when I get anxious or nervous or when I have heartburn or indegestion. I have the weird head feelings like I'm high up in a plane and the pressure is crazy, tingling fingers and toes, weird chills, internal tremors or tingling feeling. My aunt told me to look peri up and I almost fell out the chair because I couldn't believe that everything I was readin felt like I wrote it. I just want to get to the bottom of it.
  • Posted

I hear you. I wake up some times and it starts , the butterflies , the panic of how il feel today, then I burst into tears and my poor husband has to try and talk me back to sense.

For me I'm "trying" the mind over matter thing, being positive, listening to self help etc. can't say it always works but sometimes it does. 

The worst bit is being sedntary and alone with your thoughts.

Drop coffee if you drink it, I'm trying but not successfully..

im also thinking of an adrenal tonic like ashwaghanda or something cause I know anti depressants will make things worse long term.

i hear you though! 

• Posted

Hi Ellacraig,

I thought about adrenal fatigue. Heck I thought about my own fatigue. I just can't help but to think something bad is happening to me. I try to do things to take my mind off stuff but it's really hard. I try to keep the anxiety down but it just cones out of nowhere and I felt like the doctor didn't understand anything.

• Posted

Il let you know how the st john wort goes. I feel the same way. The reviews on it came from a lot of women with meno. I know you might be hesitant but I'd really look into vitex , i can't put links up but there's good brands out there. I went from shorter and shorter cycles to two perfectly on time ones from the first two weeks of trying it. 

and 

And yes don't google too much, you will drive yourself insane like I have

• Posted

Ella, there's also good evidence that Maca root, relieved a lot of menopausal symptoms. St. Johns wort helps with depression and anxiety, but Maca works with leveling your hormones. So I would also suggest you also try Maca to balance out your hormones.
  • Edited

Hi Jamie, I could of wrote that, I felt exactly the same for most of last year, I myself have had every test going, the latest one been a allergy blood test all normal, but I could not get rid of the feeling you described, that something bad was going to happen, it completely took over my life, right up to Christmas this was happening, and someone told me about Batch Flower for Anxiety and Panic attacks and I can't believe the difference in me, I have had one bad day in the last month, were I let my imagination and the odd feelings get the better of me, but it soon passed and didn't turn into a panic attack, my doctors said this is all down to peri and the feelings I described are quite common with ladies in peri. Try these drops they are all natural and they don't interfere with any other meds, if you google it, it will come up they are fantastic and I wouldn't be without mine. 
    • Posted

Thank you Sue,

I'm certainly going to try it. I'm not really a pill person but I will take them if I really need them. I don't like an anti depressant so I will look into the batch flower. The anxiety, nervousness, and jitters I feel are taking me over. My menses is due next week so all the other feelings have made my anxiety super hightened. I'm scared to be alone and won't ride anywhere by myself. I finally stopped going to the ER, since my blood work and numerous scans always come back ok. Just don't like this feeling.

• Edited

I really think it's perimenopause Jamie. Since you never had this before. Plus all of us women going through perimenopause have the same symptoms. So many doctors don't acknowledge perimenopause at all, that's why the chalk it up to GAD. You might very well have GAD, but it its brought on by crazy hormone fluctuations. I know that I have GAD too but it only started getting out of hand for me 9 months ago when my FSH levels elevated and my OBGYN told me I was entering Meno pause. That was 11 months ago. Declining hormones can really mess us up. Try all the natural stuff everybody is recommending and if you have too every once in awhile if the panic is too much take 1/2 of the Ativan if you have too. Don't feel bad about it you body will thank you for being able to relax. Last night I drove myself to after hours urgent care thinking I was having a heart attack. Doctor gave me prescription for Xanax. I will probably end up taking it before I go to dentist. We will get through this. We are all here for each other

❤️Debbie

• Posted

Thanks Debbie,

I believe it is peri too. I have this weird head today and I would be lying If I told you it's not getting to me because it is. I came in from the docs and went right to my bedroom. I have to go back out later to pick up my sister and I am not looking forward to it. I just don't like driving when I feel this way. The only thing that calms me is having someone ride with me.

• Posted

Hi Jamie, sorry to hear about your panic attacks. I don't have an answer for those, but would just caution you on the ativan the doc prescribed for you. I agree with ellacraig that antidepressants could make things worse, and ativan is a tranquilizer that is highly addictive, and with side effects. I know, because my sister takes it for psyche issues and can't get off it. If you must take it, try to take it for the short term.
    • Posted

Thank you,

I honestly don't want to take it at all. I would rather try to manage on my own or something herbal or natural. I'm not a pill person and everyone I know that takes some sort of antidepressant doesn't like it. I'll get them filled but will contemplate on taking them.

• Posted

These symptoms are not fun but it's all part of the process and they will eventually pass - there are heaps of different symptoms and you will suffer from one thing to the next - I am anxious all the time, then I'm not and then I'll have some other hideous symptom to cope with.  I have started yoga and pilates a couple of times per week.  It is brilliant for breathing techniques and so calming and relaxing although hard work.  Exercise is key too to release those 'happy' hormones.  It's making me feel a lot better within myself despite having feelings of negativity.  I know what yr going thru and you are not alone.  There is a light at the end of that topsy turvy tunnel and some will reach that sooner than others.  We are all on this hideous journey together so chin up.  Can you imagine what our lives would be like if men suffered from this?  In fact, I wish the male doctors out there did and perhaps they'd empathise more.  It is hell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.