Perimenopause: strange symptoms?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm 46 (47 in Oct.) and have been on the rocky road of perimenopause for several years. Although no doctor can tell me definitively that peri is what is going on. I have an appointment to get my hormones checked to see if there is anything telling there. I go through periods (no pun intended!) where I feel somewhat okay. However, the last three weeks have been awful. I ended up in urgent care after one of these "episodes" I get frequently. My heart starts racing out of the blue, I get very lightheaded, have a weird pressure in my head, throat and chest, my BP drops, and I pretty much feel like death is coming any minute. These strike me suddenly, although often in the morning it seems. I sometimes take Xanax during these episodes which can help but not totally. By the time it's over I am left feeling shaky and exhausted. I've seen a cardiologist, wore a holter monitor, had an echo and a stress test. They put me on metoprolol (beta blocker) for the occasional high heart rate and kind of sent me on my way. I've had my thyroid checked and adrenal function. All normal. One other thing to note: my periods are super erratic and can be crazy heavy when they come. I am sooooo tired of feeling like crap. I can't enjoy my family, friends or normal activities like I used to. While I am eager to get my hormones checked, I am also a little nervous that it is going to show they are within normal range and not what is causing all this other nonsense. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?? On my worst days I feel like surely I am dying of some dread disease and they just haven't figured it out yet. lol. Thanks in advance for your response.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I am 48 and think I have been in perimenopause for about 6 years, I have terrible health anxiety and think I have a dreadful condition everyday. I have had numerous tests, scans etc and all came back clear. My main worry is my heart because of my constant anxiety. My periods are all over the place sometimes missing a couple of months, I never know when it will arrive, the only good thing is they dont seem to be as heavy as they used to be. I have had brief periods of feeling ok but it dosent take much to send me in a downwards spiral. What you wrote about your heart racing for no reason and the symptoms that go with it is exactly how I feel, its so frightening and I obsess over it. I did have my FSH level checked and my doctor did confirm I was in peri, I just want to feel normal again, I look at other people just living their lives and feel so jealous.

• Posted

hi Caroline, I was reading your post again and you mentioned thinking you have a dreadful disease. That seems to be on my mind 24/7 . I wonder if thats causing all this anxiety and everyday a new symptom.

• Posted

Hi Grace,

I go from one day to the next every symptom bringing a new anxiety, if my heart is racing i think I have heart disease, head ache its a brain aneurysm, neck pain its a blood clot always the worst case. I never used to be like this in fact I was really laid back. Its like my whole personality has changed and I miss the old me.

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

I hear you about the health anxiety, I have it too. When you don't know what is wrong, but you feel awful, it's natural to feel scared. When you can put a name on something (even if it is serious) it is somehow less frightening. But when no one can tell you why you feel so bad, it causes terrible anxiety. I also get anxious wondering if/when this will end. Going on for years more like this sounds intolerable.

• Posted

This is exactly how I feel. It's a different part of the body each day .I know its in my head but feels so real . I am taking each day and trying not to let it get out of hand . I only take natural supplements .I have resisted the urge to take Xanax .Do a lot of breathing exercises which help .

• Posted

Hi - I'd love to hear what natural supplements you are taking and what you think is (or isn't) working. TIA!

• Posted

I take SAM e , 5 htp ,sedalia,tranquil.aspen flower essence. At the moment I am only taking SAM e

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.