Period again after none for 2 years?

Posted , 319 users are following.

I am 50 years old. I have not had a period for two years, but today I started. Is this normal?

26 likes, 1071 replies

1071 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

This is exactly what happened to me although i am only 16 years old. Should i be worried?
  • Posted

I am so relieved to have found this thread. I have had a period after around 2 years and my GP has referred me today for ultrasound to check it out. To be fair he did say that it was likely to be a surge of oestrogen enough just to cause a bleed but at 58 I was, and am, concerned of course. Thing is it felt before and during exactly as I always felt - even down to the PMT!!
    • Posted

Hiya!

I've been through the same. I am 51. 

I had an ultra sound, and there is nothing wr

• Posted

Sorry didnt finish. 

There is nothing wrong. It's just the way the body is adjusting, to the absence again of not having your monthlys. But yes there can be symptoms of period pain, and PMT

Because I sometimes get that myself.

All to do with the body changes, in getting to the next stage of our lives.

But if there is pain, on intercourse, or unusual bleeds and heavy ones, and lots of headaches, then get checked out.

Otherwise paracetamol does the trick for me.

• Posted

Oh yes, this can me quite normal.  However, a polyps can also cause bleeding and you should check this out with an gynacologist.  They can be a few things going on but a gyni should cover most of them.  Happened to me three years after stopping a period.
  • Posted

I have seen the gynaecologist now and had a vaginal ultrasound and all is well. Apparently it was almost certainly an oestrogen 'surge' and could happen again but nothing to worry about. He suggested using HRT which I have never done so am thinking about that. Thanks everyone
  • Posted

Has anyone started having monthly cycles after 2 years of not having any?  I started having periods again.  I had an US and a TVU, both did not show anything abnormal.  If I had a physical problem, wouldn't I be bleeding all the time?
    • Posted

Hi Vicki. When it happened to me I was 57 and had not had a period for 3 years and 4 months so was a complete surprise. It was a proper full blown heavy period - not just a show. It does appear to be a quite common occurrence, however any post menopausal bleeding should be investigated. My ultrasound  and TVU showed a thickening of the uterine lining due to 'fibroid change'. I was told that is nothing to worry about and does not predispose me to cancer. The consultant told me that I was good for 6 months so if any bleeding within that time - not to worry but after that to go back. I think, after my experience, that it is just hormonal fluctuations that causes it.The strange thing with me is that my periods were very erratic and gradually stopped. I didn't have any menopausal symptoms at all - no hot flushes or anything. Since this happened 3 months ago, I have been having a lot of hot flushes, headaches, etc associated with menopause that I didn't have before. 
  • Posted

I've had three monthly cycles now - and still have never had any symptoms of menopause - no hot flashes, nothing.  I have no other symptoms at all.  Very odd.
  • Posted

I have just found this thread after googling, because after two years (Nov) I have bleeding this morning.  I was gobsmacked.  Thanks for all of your answers.  I am not in a relationship but I am seeing that this is how women get pregnant late in life.  I am 55.  I thought one is "safe" after two years without a period.  
    • Posted

Hi there. 

I had this myself. I went for a ultra scan, and they said that everything was fine.

At the end of the day, they said sometimes they can't explain why this happens, as long as all is well inside, then that's all that matters.

Only worry if you get pains, and unusual swellings.

Otherwise it's just the left overs that need to come out of our bodies. Everything takes time, to finish off. 

Menopause lasts as long as your body says so. But my doctor said there is less chance of pregnancy, once you start missing your periods altogether. Less eggs are produced, and would not fertillize.

Buy on saying that, some women do fall pregnant, and there is no explanation, that can be given.

But it's highly unlikely that you would get pregnant without a period after two years.

By all means you can go and check that, you can get your hormone levels checked, they would tell you the answer.

• Posted

Thank you so much.  It did cross my mind that it was the "leftovers" and now it makes perfect sense to me on other levels than the physical body too.  Thank you for your insight.  
  • Posted

Thank you so much.  It did cross my mind that it was the "leftovers" and now it makes perfect sense to me on other levels than the physical body too.  Thank you for your insight.  
    • Posted

Hiya!

I am to give comfort. And I'm glad that's what I did for you.

At the end of the day, we are all made the same. So there is not much to say otherwise really. But I love this website. 

I have read so many comments about different things that I have experienced myself, with the change of life.

It's nice to know that we are all in the same boat, comfort for each other I'd say! 

Don't have to run to our god all the time, when you can identify the symptoms from others on here.

Obviously anything that isn't normal, you would visit the GP.

But on the whole, it's been a great mind lifter for some things on here that I've defintley been able to relate to.

God bless 😊🌻

• Posted

Lol just realised I typed god not GP!

God is our protector and shield.

I always talk to god when I feel to and he does listen.

• Posted

Not a bad error in typing at all.   I am a big lover of God, Universe, the bigger picture, and knew this wasn't a big deal but just didn't understand the reason behind it!!! Thanks again Elizabeth, that was one of my grannies names too!! 
    • Posted

Please get this checked out. It's probably just a resurgence of hormones, but it also can be something serious. It also could be polyps.  Wishing you the best health.
    • Posted

Well, reading your comment just "eased" my mind a bit.  I am 57, haven't had a period for a year and a half and then yesterday got surprised when it reappeared!  An older friend just scared the bejeebers out of me when she told me that it was cancer!  So I googled and found this forum.  Though I need to get checked, reading your comments has helped me settle down ( a little!) I especially liked that you ended with God bless (as a believer). 
    • Posted

OMG! this site is heaven sent.=)) I been worried this past few days since I got a period after 4yrs of having none... Thank you Ladies.. You give me peace of mind although, yah it's true doctors will confirm everything... But to read all your comments is a big help....God bless I love you all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.