Period again after none for 2 years?

Posted , 319 users are following.

I am 50 years old. I have not had a period for two years, but today I started. Is this normal?

26 likes, 1071 replies

1071 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It iswonderufl to know we are not alone in these experiences. Let's be honest - historically we would have had multiple pregnancies and not triedto control our baby-producing and many women died young - and many had babies after 'the change' so they too must have been still producing the odd egg and having the odd period too but assumed it was normal (whatever that means!) We aremuch more in control of our bodies and sex lives and so we perhaps notice more and worry more too....
    • Posted

Funny that you should say that!! I have had six children, so thankfully at the moment, on that side of life, I am not in a relationship, for now! I have learned over the last five years, not to worry, which is great smile
    • Posted

Woo! 6 kids I got 3..

Because of my situation, I only had 3.

I didn't have a great time with life as a whole, got the wrong men you could say!

But I sure got the right one now.

But anyway at my age, I'm just waiting for my grandchildren now lol x

• Posted

I am so glad for you that all has worked out well.  Looking at it this way -  If you didn't get the "wrong" men, you wouldn't have your present children and subsequently, your future beautiful grand children.  And you wouldn't know the attributes you wanted in the right man either.  Happy days!!! 
    • Posted

Very good point booklover. My marriage wasn't wonderful, but I have 3 wonderful children, who I hope to gently guide away from men like their father.
  • Posted

Gosh! This is the first site I came across after googling my problem and you have already all put my mind at rest! My experience is very like julie's...though it has been 3 years and 9 months since my last period, which came one year after the previous one. Before that, they were extremely heavy for a few years but I thought I'd got off lightly as no other menopausal symptoms at all!! A couple weeks ago I noticed signs similar to those I used to get prior to a period, followed by very tender breasts just like I used to get in my 20s (PMT). Now this morning, I was freaked out to find that there is a little blood-coloured discharge. After almost 4 years I was stunned!! I rang my GP at once and got booked in for two weeks from now, then came home and googled this and found all your experiences - and whilst it looks like I'm heading for a few tests sad  at least I am now reassured that this is relatively "normal", or at least normal for some women. I am just hoping I don't get heavy full-blown bleeds in the near future again...it's been so lovely to not have to worry about arranging swimming around my periods these last few years! Hopefully I will be in that 99% where there is nothing to worry about. I suspect from reading your replies, that mine might be down to fibroids, which I know I do have and have never bothered me although I have had them for about 12 years. I had thought about things such as a hormone surge but didn't think it could be possible so many years after the last period! but your various replies have set my mind at rest that there is probably very little to worry about. Btw I am almost 55 years old. I remember the date of my last period vividly (28th June 2011) as I had gone to visit friends in the USA for the first time and it was the most sweltering June over there that even they had experienced for many years - and I unexpectedly started one of my full-blown heavy ones the day we set off! - and I had to wear long black trousers and absolutely roasted! as I had nothing else with me except pale-coloured shorts and cut-offs. I also only managed one swim in my friend's pool before we left, as I couldn't swim for the first 3 or 4 days because of the bleed sad(
    • Posted

Hi there. I'm glad you found this discussion, just as I did 5 weeks ago. My story is similar to yours - although my periods didn't stop until I was 55, 5 years ago.  Up till then I'd had irregular heavy periods, then my last "proper" one was New Year's Day 2010 (the day after my daugter's wedding, which is why it was memorable!).  Then nothing for 18 months, preceeded by tender breasts and spotty chin!  I went to the docs after this "mini" period and although she thought it was a "last hurrah" she sent me for scans, which showed that everything was normal so that was that.  Then about 6 weeks ago I developed tender breasts again, spots on the chin, etc so wasn't surprised when a week later when I noticed a brownish discharge.  Although I didn't think it was serious, after a lot of Googling I decided to go to the docs again to make sure. She did a smear test (which was all clear, but I've been told it's my last one as I'm 60!), and sent me on the "fast-track" route to see a consultant within 2 weeks. This was a bit scary but she did say not to worry that it might be cancer because she was sure it was just an oestrogen surge. I had an appointment within 2 weeks, the consultant recommended scans and a hysteroscopy which I had within another 2 weeks. To be honest, after Googling hysteroscopy, that scared me more than anything else, but it was fine - no worse than a smear and the nurses were wonderful. They didn't think there was anything untoward, the womb lining was normal and there were no fibroids or polyps. A biopsy was taken, which I'm still waiting for the results of but I'm sure it'll be okay, and it was just a hormone surge. I haven't had very many menopause symptoms, the odd hot flush during the day and occasional mild night sweats but nothing too bad, and I've not wanted to take HRT. After reading all the replies on here I've been very comforted to realise that I'm not alone and there's always someone there who's had the same experience. So don't worry, get it checked out and you won't regret it. If you want to know any more about hysteroscopy just let me know. Take care.smile
    • Posted

Hi Marie,

First, I'd like to say that I am so relieved to find this site! I am 55 and didn't have my period for 2 years and 4 months and then two weeks ago I felt the tenderness in my breast and on Monday of this week BAM cramps, bleeding, and pms! I was shocked and sad because I was SO happy not having to deal with this mess. The bleeding is exactly like my normal periods in the past. And since I am in between jobs with no medical benefits I am unable to go the doctor right now. I must say that I truly am relieved that it is associated with the hormonal changes with going to through menopause. I've had everything from the hot flashes, the moodiness, and the night sweats.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, it has really made me understand that this is just one more change (perhaps a few more to come) that is necessary to get to the ALL GONE ALL DOINE stage of menopause. And just so that you know, I CAN'T WAIT! :D

Have a wonderful day and thanks again for the knowlege.

Best.

Dawn

• Posted

I am so glad that i have found this site .....my last period was in october 2013 and just this Wednesday i woke up to a bleed which has become a light period ..i panicked because i knew it was abnormal i was so scared ...i rang my doctors and got an appointment that afternoon and she reffered me to the hospital i got my appointment for Tuesday ....my nerves are kicking in ...but i was relieved when i was reading through this forum and found that i was not the only one going through this ....you have all helped me through this worring time and i feel a bit more at ease and hopeful ......
    • Posted

Glad you found it all helpful.... I was the same.  Try not to worry too much and take comfort from the fact that you're being looked at so quickly, so that if there is anything there that shouldn't be, it can be dealt with straight away.  Fingers crossed that it's all fine, which I'm sure it will be, and remember that 9 times out of 10 it's just an oestrogen surge and nothing more!  Good luck. smile
  • Posted

I have the same problem, first it was just a dark Brown discharge now it's a full blown period. And Ihave not gothen one in about 3 yes. Is this normal?
    • Posted

Hi sweetypi1 ...I had a gush of blood last week and up untill yesterday it was a brown discharge ...i went to my doctor straight away and she referred me to the gynaecology..i go tomorrow and I am so nervous ...but reading about others on this forum has made me somewhat at ease ...but shouldn't be ignored ...have you been to your doctor ...it is a common for this to happen but needs to be ..seen too for peace of mind ..
    • Posted

Im sure its nothing to worry about ..but i know we do worry and we cant help it ...i bloomin hate hospitals doctors or dentists i have a proper phobia ...cant wait for tomorrow to be over ...im glad your making your appointment ☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.