period continues

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Ladies, i have just been reading on menopause matters and now feel  anxious. I have had a period now for 26 days  none stop. I am not bleeding heavy all the time but, have flooded several times then spot for a few days then bleed more, then spot again. When i say spotting  it remains red and i have to wear a pad but, it is like it is going to end  but, it doesn,t. I have seen my Gynae last week and she has taken a sample and given me a prescription for 2 medications. Reading on menopause matters bleeding like this can be a sign of cancer so freaking out a little, This change has suddenly occured. My periods are normally 5 days, they have been irratic over the last 18 months  being every 3 weeks then 6 weeks then back to 3. Anyone else like this? I have been given leaflets on ablation and the coil and have to think about what i want when i go back in a couple of months. sad

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I went through the same bled for 3 months on and off, spotting, heavy bleeds, had uterine biopsy which was clear, ultrasound, etc. In the end I was told I had a very active uterus and imbalance hormones which meant my lining just kept building up then shedding. Try not to worry most cases its totally usual and stressing will make it worse as u will affect your hormones through stress. If it gets too much and you are under 54 years ols ypu can take progesterone in tablet or through Mirena coil (my choice was coil and it has been brilliant for controlling g bleeding)
  • Posted

HI lam 49 and l had this going on, it turned out l had fibroids l had a scan and been suffering for 7 months now.Have you been checked for this ? Hope things are sorted for you soon take care xx
    • Posted

Hi Allie yes i have a small fibroid and my Gynae said it is not the fibroid causing my period to go on and on just hormones she thinks. Well it is day 29 and finally no bleeding today. I feel relieved it has ended after 28 days. Have they given you anything?
  • Posted

Hi Amanda, I’m going in to week three of non stop period, bright dark blood always with no signs of letting up. I’ve been all over the place as well, missed three months even once, or a week late, week early. This time I had it a week early, one week off, and now this non stop. It’s wiping me out. I see the gyn next month, hopefully it’s nothing. 
    • Posted

Hi Suzanne, my period has stopped today so was 28 days in total. This is all exhausting dont you think?x
    • Posted

So happy to hear it stopped. I keep hoping mine will, it will get a bit lighter, then bam, full blown again. It's getting beyond annoying and very exhausting. Saw my friend today who said I should just go have a hysterectomy and be done with it. Do you know, if you go on hrt, does that prolong menopause?

• Posted

Hi Suzanne, we don't want hysterectomy's as this leaves a void and can lead to incontinence as the bladder slips into the empty space. Have you not been offered an ablation or the coil? HRT regulates our fluctuating hormones making the change more bearable. I do not know if it prolongs menopause. x

• Posted

I was supposed to have my annual next month and planned on asking my gyn, now I’m told she has to cancel because she’s having surgery and won’t be back for months. Ugh 

I called today and the nurse said progesterone helps with the constant bleeding but she said I should also use estrogel so I don’t go even more out of balance. I guess I could put my old bio identical creams out of the closet, but they are about a year old now, not sure if they would still work.

I’m glad you told me about the bladder thing. That does not sound like something I want to happen! My friend is a gyn midwife who sees non ob patients sometimes, and she was telling me stories of women whose organs start dropping out their va j j, good lord we’ve got so much to look forward to as we get older. 

• Posted

Hi Suzanne, i am a bit fightened of  the hrt and bio identical stuff, i have recently (2 years ) suffered with health anxiety, google is a bad thing! for me anyway lol. I was given a prescription for  my bleeding  and did not go and get the pills because it contained  a hormone to stop the bleeding. I read all about the drugs and frighten myself. I tell myself it is daft  as quality of life is defo better than quantity but, anxiety prevents me from taking these type of meds. 

I was thinking of going to see a hypnotist or someone like that what do you think?  

• Posted

Gosh Amanda, if you saw my bathroom cabinets you would laugh, jammed packed with bottles of pills I’ve never taken, prescription and supplements. Like you, I worry about side effects. I had gotten so bad I didn’t even want to take Tylenol. I did the bioidentical creams for about 3 months but when my foot started burning it scared me, and I was constantly paranoid about getting a DVT in my leg. Kept rushing to the vascular doc for ultrasounds. 

I have friends and family who don’t think twice about taking anything they are thrown. 

I just now started taking Advil again after staying off for a year due to gastritis. I had a tooth pulled and needed it. I have to say it really helped my body aches, just wish I could’ve taken it the whole time I had frozen shoulder

I try not to google anymore. Last time I did I had myself convinced I had giant cell arteritis and polymyalgia. Ugh

• Posted

Oh, forgot to say my period finally stopped except for some light spotting. Finally 
    • Posted

Hi Suzanne glad your period has stopped. I recently thought i had some DVT or MND  at left calf twitching and achy 24/7 for 10 days but, read via google this can also be due to anxiety. Today  i have no twitching in my calf , i am glad. I am the same with tablets and even vitamins and supplements  Suzanne, i buy them then read about them some more and know have cupboards full of  vitamins unopened as worry too much will cause me to be toxic.  x
    • Posted

I think you are my soul sister Amanda! (BTW, my daughter’s name is Amanda).

The pain is in my left calf too. There’s that left sided connection again. So strange that most things are on the left. Makes me wonder if it might be pancreatic in nature somehow. 

• Posted

Hi Suzanne , i too did read up about pancreas problems in relation to my left leg too. I really worry myself half to death, every little twinge  sends my anxiety into overdrive. 

Adenomyosis is when your womb lining  goes into the wall of the womb and can cause pain and more bleeding, it  is higher in ladies who have has c sections. x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.