Periods of remission, feel hopeful, then hopes dashed

Posted , 20 users are following.

I am approaching the six-month mark since this all started, and am adjusting to the probability that I am going to be stuck with this for quite some time.  Mercifully, the pain has not been constant.  Hours can go by when I don't notice any pain at all. I haven't had a pain-free day since October, but there have been days in a row where it stays at a level 1-2.  Then I will have an attack out of nowhere and have intensified pain for days, with random stabs and prickles and electric shocks followed by soreness and sensitivity.  Even during these episodes, though, the pain will retreat to 0-1, and I think the episode is over, and then I get stabbed again.

I went for over a month without having any episodes of intensified pain, and was very hopeful that things were improving.  Now I think I'm just having periods of remission.  If this is going to be a lifelong condition I will learn to be grateful for the periods of remission and try to figure out what triggers the attacks.  But the ambush/retreat quality has really played with my mental state, as there have been so many times over the past 6 months when I thought I was getting better and then the beast ambushed me again without warning.  Each time it comes back I fight anxiety and tears and a general hopeless feeling.

My heart goes out to all on this board who never get any relief.  I'm not complaining about what I'm experiencing, just wondering if anyone can relate to having their hopes dashed.   

8 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you so much for your responses. The affected area for Stuart (my partner) is on the left front chest then a large patch covering most of his back.  'Geezee' mentioned Pregabalin and Duloxitene.  I can't remember if this is a UK wesite or not, so don't know if these drugs are available here.However,  I am speaking to the surgery again tomorrow and will mention these drugs.  We're keeping positive - it's the only way!!
    • Posted

Yes I haven't heard of those either so will be interested to read your follow up. That is a massive area on his body, must be unbearable for him. Am so sorry. Here in New Zealand since I arrived, they aren't even interested in knowing anything about you !  
    • Posted

Hi Misstickle, 

I'm in the UK too, well Scotland. The duloxitene is relatively new, it's an anti-depressant which has been shown to be useful in treating neuropathic pain. It should be available elsewhere in the UK. Goodluck with the GP! 

• Posted

Hi I live in cambridge and  I am on amitriplene and yes it helps with my pain at night  I have been given 200 mg at night

Jo Cambridge uk

• Posted

Jana You and I are like so many others who are painful suffers  I have been in pain for just under a year, like you I try to do things but im not sure if its my age 62  It is making every job I try to do in my home life  very very hard work, I have to keep on stopping, because it seems like I fight the  feelings and then get so much pain  I want to cry out loud.  which is not good when Im shopping in Tescos... Im sure people think Im a drunk,  To day I had to go and pick up my months drugs (LEGAL) all made up in medi boxes, I am lucky because if I had to pay for my meds I would not survive.  My job well it lookslike I will be leaving  that because I cant walk around in a senior school to lessons half curled up in pain.  NO ONE UNDERSTANDS pain like we have .  Jocelyne  From Cambridge  UK
  • Edited

I can identify with a lot of what you're saying jana.

For examplethe soreness, super sensitivity and tightness around left side of forehead, eyebrow and scalp is beyond words.. I have days I think I'm coping, but other days, and yesterday in particular, I completely went to pieces, crying, distressed, havnt had one of those days for a while. Sometimes I get to a point that I'll always have this PHN.

Sorry to sound so negative..

• Posted

I think being able to be negative is part of what this forum is for.  I guess it's true that misery loves company, but hearing from other people who are experiencing similar symptoms makes me feel less alone.  Even the fact that you just mentioned your sense of tightness makes me feel less crazy, because now I know I'm not the only person in the world who knows what that feels like.  It's awful, and for me, ominous, because it usually means an attack is building up. The more I read, the more I realize my case really is mild compared to many, and it could be a lot worse.  Most people around me don't have any clue I'm going through this, even when I'm having an attack.  I know how lucky I really am, but that doesn't change the fact that these attacks, mercifully short though they may be, HURT like the DICKENS.  I get really anxious sometimes thinking about how they might never go away, and may even get worse. 

I'm sorry about your itching.  By all accounts, and in my own experience with allergies, that can be more intolerable than pain.  

• Edited

It's the itching that is really getting me down. I have it 24 7, sometimes I dont have to scratch but other times I actually get a brush and scratch my scalp, which of course makes it even worse, but it's the left eyebrow and side of my forehead which isby far the worst.

And yes I certainly agree with you that this is more intolerable than pain.

It's quite extraordinary the number of people on this forum with symptoms  similar to mine and it's very hard to describeto others the extent of what I'm going through.

• Posted

I feel for you.  Itching is diabolical.  I had a bad allergic reaction once, and the itching was so unbearable that I was pacing around the room in circles.  I've never experienced pain that had me pacing around in circles, not even with PHN (not yet, anyway.  eek )  Sometimes I wish I had itching instead of pain, but then I remember that experience and thank my lucky stars that it's "only" pain.  I don't think anyone could possibly understand how bad itching can be unless they've experienced it.  

• Posted

totally agree with all your comments jana but you certainly wouldn't wish for continued itch over pain!!!!
  • Posted

I am feeling hopeful.  Not because the pain is gone.  In fact, a week ago today I had a flare-up that lasted for days, and I'm certain that only thing that kept the pain from being as intense as usual was the capsaicin I've been applying 4 times a day for 3 weeks. It still burns and stings a bit, but it also seems to contain and take the edge off those awful tantrums my nerves like to throw.  So, I am hopeful about capsaicin, but even more because of some information I found, quoted below:

"I'm beginning to feel a little better. What will my recovery from PHN be like? Attacks of pain will alternate with periods of relief, and the attacks will gradually become shorter and less intense, while the pain-free periods become longer. The process may extend for months, but once the pattern becomes comes established, you can at least be reassured that eventual recovery is on the way."

Mary-Ellen Siegel;Gray Williams. Shingles: New Hope for an Old Disease (Kindle Locations 1020-1023). Kindle Edition. 

I do so hope this is true.  It may still be that this is a lifelong condition for me and I need to learn to be thankful for and take advantage of the periods of remission.  But this sounds so much better.  It's the most encouraging thing I've read in six months of combing the Internet!

• Posted

I have to say, I have had PHN for about six years.I also have trigeminal neuralgia which is a whole other story. I do feel that the constant itching and burning is less or sometimes not there at all. The key for me is not touching the area in the first place(which is reall hard to do). Once I itch or touch one area the nerves seem to go crazy in the whole area of my phn.

So, the good news is, I am kind of in between and it is getting better. I don't know if it will return but I want to share that it is going away(at least for now, the last few weeks!). Good news!

Anna

• Posted

So good to read your positive post Anna.

I agree with you once you start itching the nerve cells go crazy. But it is so very, very hard to resiste the incredible itch.

So I will try so hard not to itch.

• Posted

Hey Jana-That’s a great quote! I am trying to stay hopeful for more better days than worse days. I know the feeling of thinking that maybe the pain is gone or has gotten better, then only to have an attack or episode. Unfortunately for me, I’m having one of those down days. I had a good 4-5 days where I was almost pain free only for it to come back with “vengeance” as another member described. I had just finished crying because the stabbing/throbbing pain was so bad. It’s devastating because I can’t do the things I used to enjoy. It’s hard to commit to any social gatherings and events only because I never know how I’m going to feel. When I am out with people I’m always fearful that I’ll get a flare-up. Whenever I leave the house I always make sure I have my pain meds with me just in case because you never know. I am grateful for the days that I am almost pain free and hope that there will be more of those days for everyone who is dealing PHN
  • Posted

This was a very helpful post. I just wondered how you were feeling now Jana. The last post was about 6 months ago. I am 37, My experience started last June. I suddenly felt a stabbing pain between my shoulder blades and the base of my neck with no injury or eveident cause for this pain. Within a week this pain was at a level 10 or higher. Took my breath away. I described it as a HOT fire poker hooked into my back. My shoulder muscles were inflamed and sensitive to the touch. My right arm was numb and tingeling.  I went to the Dr. and was prescribed Physical Theropy, and given a steriod treatment. Once i fished the steriod, three weeks after the pain started,  I broke out in a rash on the right side of my face. I have had experience with blistery rosacia before and this felt similar to that, And having been given a steriod, i thought this medication triggered a rosacea flare up. But I noticed it was just my right side same side all the pain and numbness was. This was not tipical for my rosacea as my entire face breaks out when this happens. So i endure three more weeks of PT and this facial rash. I notice my Physical theorpist poking at two spots on my back exactly where the intense nerve pain started but again, I had no idea this could be something other than a blemish. (my skin sucks and these to me were  not unlike pimples).  But I did have the though gosh, i wonder if those are some kind of pain blisters from this nerve pain i am having. SO by the end of JULY, the nerve pain has subsided a bit, from a 10 to 4-6 depending on the day. My arm was less painfull and no more tingling. BUT I was now experiencing a very unwell feeling. Sleepy, crabby, and there was a new sensation in my chest and neck and ear. A dull ache and tightness. Thinking i was for sure dying, I returned to the dr, and requested more tests be done as i just had this feeling of being so unwell. I was very blue and depressed also and hadnt slept through the night in over a month. My dr asked me questions typed info into her computer, said she would order a few more tests for me. I asked her about the break out on my face and if it could have been caused by the steriod and she FINALLY looks at me, and said Oh you have SHINGLES!! SHe examined me and asked me about the two spots on my back being exactly where the most sever pain started and prescribed me with Motrin 800 and a low dose of Gabapent. She warned me that i may be looking at PHN as well. I inititally thought this DR had lost her mind. What is a 37 year old doing with Shingles. I had no idea people my age could even suffer from this. So I went home, convinced I had just seen the worst DR in the world, until I started researching. The most informative info is how different this is for everybody, and how improtant it is to share your experience.  Today is November 3rd. I had been feeling so much better. I could tell that my discomfort was less and less, My face has mostly cleard up. Though I have scarring and under the skid bumps still, My energy was up and though I could still feel like a buzzing reminder of this pain,  the slight reminder that I had this ailment. I was starting to feel like my self again. Then this Saturday i got a bad head ache over this past weekend, and have about a level 5 discomfort flare up in my back where the nerve pain was, my chest neck throat and ear feel inflamed, tight, achy. So to read your description of how it comes and goes is very reassuring.  I agree that this effects mental health, As when i start to feel unwell again, my mood goes south. I also was concerned that my pain was not where the rash was, yes my face was uncomfortable but as you would expect it to be in its condition, the burning nerver pain was near my spine between my shouldblades only on my right side. My sympathys to all who suffer from this invasion. There is nothing easy about this. I am just barly able to funtion on my normal tasks. But As a mother of two young girls I  just dont have time for this. Again, Thank you for sharing. I hope to hear how you are feeling.
    • Posted

Hi King,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope it will cheer you to know that I really am feeling much better these days.  It's been a full year since the initial problem started, and it is almost completely gone. Since about May I've had a couple days per month that were painful enough to use capsaicin cream, but I haven't had one of those since August.  These days I can almost guarantee a couple episodes per day, but they are really mild, maybe the annoyance level of pulling off a Band-Aid or getting a big paper cut, and last only a few seconds to a couple of minutes.  If it stays at this level for the rest of my life, I can live with it. 

I hope you feel better very soon!  It is so hard to function and stay positive when the pain comes back after being gone. It's just so demoralizing. Then a board like this one helps because people know what you're going through, but you also find stories of people who have been in pain for years, and it makes you wonder if you're stuck for life.  I think most people aren't stuck for life, but they don't come here to post!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.