Permanent afib

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello I'm 48 and I have had a fun that we know of for the last 4 years.for the last 4 years... I have had numerous cardoversions and I have had a ablation.

I have now been in an admin episode for approx 3 weeks...my heart rate averages 140 to 200 BPM when sitting and spikes when I just walk across the room. I'm tired all the time I have no energy. I forget things and I am confused slot. I get dizzy and fall occasionally I am always out of breath. The last 3 or 4 days I have had severe chest pain.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I will be interested to see how you get on about your possible pacemaker.

I have had three cardioversions and two ablations and although I'm doing alright at the moment, it's the future I am concerned about as I understand

Afib can reoccur at any time.

Hope your meeting went well today.

• Posted

An unmanaged Afib is scary. In my case I know that my pacer does not cure my Afib. However it ensures that my biggest risk is taken care of. The computer in my pacer will not allow my heart beat to drop below 50 bpm. That eliminates sudden blackouts which are dangerous. I have experienced the extreme where my heart flatlined 3 times in 24 hours as recorded by the Holter.

My Afib still afftects me. Some days I feel very normal with great BP and heart beats. And there are days when I feel very tired and listless. I have become more aware or mindful of my body especially my BP and my heartbeat.

Also, I help myself by walking my dogs and putting effort to go out and play my weekly round of golf.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. Before my last ablation, I was very ill and like you I kept passing out without warning which I assume was due to a drop in blood pressure

Since my ablation, my heart has been in sr and usually beats around 58bmp. I measured it today after a walk in extreme heat and it was 65 so at least it's increasing with exertion instead of just making me breathless!

I walk at least twice a day but because I am waiting for a hip replacement, it's difficult to do as much as I would like.

• Posted

You back yet from your cardiology visit? But perhaps they kept you in hospital?

• Posted

Hoping all is well with you Bruce. We are all thinking of you.
  • Posted

Bruce, we are keeping our fingers crossed for you.

When able share with us your status.

Best wishes.

• Posted

It's been 7 days since Bruce posted his message and we've heard nothing since. I know I speak for all of us in voicing our worries about Bruce's health and hope all is well with him.

Let's keep this posting near the top so that when he comes back he will see it straight away and reply.

• Posted

Good I idea Gwen. Very concerning when someone describes symptoms like that, says they'll report back after seeing their cardiologist, and then a week goes by with no word from them.

I hope he made it to the cardiologist(or the emergency dept.!!)

• Posted

Well Gwen, another 10 days have gone by and still no word from Bruce.

Just responding to your last post in the hope the he may  respond.

• Posted

Hello..Thank you all for your concern. I went to the cardiologist and was taken to the hospital. I had a chemical cardoversion and was returned to

Normal rythem however my heart slowed to an average of 44 BPM and very low blood pressure. They changed meds and made a lot of changes and I returned

Afib. Another cardioversion with electric this time. Some med changes

And I was released today. Scheduled for more testing plans for pace maker next week.

• Posted

Bruce, so relieved to hear from you.  Hopefully they will get you on the right path to controlling your afib.  
    • Posted

Bruce, I also had a very low BPM

in the 40's and was on Metoproolol. I asked the doc to cut my dosage, which he has done twice. I am down to 25 mg twice a day and my heart rate now is in the high 50's   Just FYI.  

• Posted

Good to hear you're ok.

You had us worried there for a while🙂

• Posted

I just joined this group- recently diagnosed with AFIB but i have been following you Bruce! SOOOOOO GLAD you are OK- GOD BLESS YOU and i hope things IMPROVE for you!
    • Posted

Hi Bruce, So glad you are OK and on the path to recovery we were all very concerned for you. My cardioversion pre-assessment is coming up this Friday so have been thinking of you.
    • Posted

When you come out I went in for my hip replacement surgery. Ships that pass in the night!

Glad you are back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.