Permanent afib

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello I'm 48 and I have had a fun that we know of for the last 4 years.for the last 4 years... I have had numerous cardoversions and I have had a ablation.

I have now been in an admin episode for approx 3 weeks...my heart rate averages 140 to 200 BPM when sitting and spikes when I just walk across the room. I'm tired all the time I have no energy. I forget things and I am confused slot. I get dizzy and fall occasionally I am always out of breath. The last 3 or 4 days I have had severe chest pain.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So glad you're back Bruce, you gave us all quite a turn! Keep us updated with your next intervention and it's good to hear from you again.

• Posted

Hi Bruce ,

I sympathise with you and all other A/Fib sufferers , I am now 71 and when I was about 55 I started getting A?fib while out training on my bike . I was in the Vets club and we used to ride about between 300 and 400 km a week plus races , my GP picked up a noisey valve when I was about 40 and he said at the time that I would have to have a Aorta Valve replacement when I got to 60 .

When I got to sixty after many test's they decided that it was time to have my Valve replaced , while I was in hospital prior to surgery I asked the surgeon if he could perform a Maze treatment to stop my A/Fib .

He assured me that he had a 83% success rate with the Maze so I decide to have it done while they were fitting my ATS mechanical valve .

Well from that day on and after many cardioversions I am in Perm A/fib and when I asked the surgeon why this is the case he didn't want to discuss it . So now I am in perm AQ/Fib and have been for 11 years and sometimes it drives me nuts and I do get depressed with it .

I take .19mg Betaloc daily , Warfarin , Terazosin and a 10mg Statin .

My BP is good but some days my resting pulse gets up to 100BPM .

So what I do , I take a 1 or 2 mg Clonazepam and that seems to help .

My wife and I still do a lot of walking and I play golf and go fishing but it is at night after dinner when my A/Fib is most noticable .

What annoys me is that the surgeon really did not do the job that he promised to do ........Regards...Kevin 

• Posted

I meant I take 190mg Betaloc daily ...Kevin
  • Posted

Wow Bruce , that sure is a hight heart rate with Perm A/Fib , I am in perm a/fib and my rate gets to max of about 120 on a bad day . I am on 190mg Betaloc daily and warfarin as I had a Aorta valve replaced 11 years ago and they did a failed Maze treatment which put me in to Perm A/Fib . The Cardio just said for me to live with it ?? The Valve that they put in is a ATS valve , supposed to be the best in the world ? I just hyave to watch alcohol and stress .I hope your health improves as you are a young man . I am not over weight and my B/P is perfect helped by the Betaloc ...
  • Posted

Hi Bruce

I have a fib, and over this last year have decided to go for as much as I can take to get back into rythym. I have had 2 ablation a and 2 cardio versions. After my last cardio version , Aug 9, I was in rythym for 2 weeks. Now i am back in Afib, BPM 95. I was only on eliquis,but now taking 25 mg of metoprolol at night and in morning. I also have to get up from bed, really slowly, and have to work on my balance........these are symptoms I have never experienced. DO YOU EXPERIENCE THESE SIDE EFFECTS? Is this normal? I see my cardiologist on Wednesday.

• Posted

I almost passed out at least 5 times after getting up too quickly. I am newly diagnosed. Like only a week and a half- on eliquis and Beta blocker- also, feel very weak if i try to walk for exercise. Really stinks
    • Posted

I am on the a lower dosage of metoprolop as you and get very dizzy when I lay down and get up -- just have to wait until it passes. I believe it's one of the negative side affects of the drug.

• Posted

Hi P Joy , try and stay calm if you can and ask your GP for some clonazepam to quieten yourself down . I used to have blackouts when I was going in and out of A/Fib and I used to just drop for about 10 seconds .You need to get a Cardio who is interested in A/Fib , I found that EP's were a waste of time .

how old are you ? And have you had any heart ops done in the past ?

• Posted

Hi Suzanne , if you are on Metaptolol it could be coming from Bangladesh and that is the cheap version ,and of poor quality and I buy Betaloc which is made in Switzerland and it certainly is better for me anyway ...Take care..🌺🌺🌺

• Posted

I buy it from Walgreens (here in the U.S).  I doubt they are getting it from Bangladesh -- but I sure will ask the next time I pick it up!  thanks for the info.  P.S.  It is very inexpensive - so I will definitely check it out.
    • Posted

Hi Suzanne , Betaloc costs me $80 New Zealand dollars for 3 months supply , I take 190mg daily , I could get the cheap Metprolol free from our Govt but I prefer to pay for better quality .

• Posted

Hi , I am sixty two- 

When you say drop you would pass out- fall to the floor? 

What is EP? I have not had any heart operations ever. Actually, nothing with the heart. Is that what you mean by Heart ops? Operation? 

• Posted

Hi Bruce , I was always a very fit person having run many marathons and then I got into cycling , I used to ride up to 400km a week , go to the gym , waterski and all of the other silly things we did when we were young . I am now 71 and 11 years ago I had a Aorta valve replaced and they did a Maze treatment to stop my A/Fib but that failed . To this day I have not had an appoligy or letter from my surgeon explaing why the maze didn't work . I have been in perm A/Fib now for 10 years and there are times when it annoys me but my B/P is always good and my pulse never goes higher than 110 after golf and my recovery is good . As I am on warfarin I check my INR regularly myself with my coagucheck machine.I take 190 mg a day of Betaloc / I take 10mg of Statins / Ferusemide 40mg twice daily and Terrazosin 5 mg twice daily . I have recently had all of my bloods checked and My cholesterol is 4.0 and all of my bloods are spot on but the main concern that I have is how long am I going to live for with perm A/fib ? I keep my self fit and I am not overweight ..183cm tall and 93kg , have never smoked and I have two glasses of red wine every night. Your situation need to be check more thoroughly as I see it you GP or Cardio are just not looking after you !

Keep me informed .......Regards.......Kevin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.