persistent UTI causing bad health anxiety

Posted , 7 users are following.

My health anxiety has spiralled again after being ok for a few months... I have been diagnosed with my first UTI after getting back pains, so I was put on medication for 5 days, didn't work.. put on another 4 day course of medication.. hasn't worked

Now the pain is in my lower stomach. I bought some test strips online and i have a lower level of white blood cells (70+) and I am getting the results for my urine culture tomorrow

I'm terrified as I thought I was feeling better and now the symptoms have come back so much worse sad

I am due on my period if that makes any difference?

Im very worried about antibiotic resistance and it spreading to my kidneys.. I have no one to talk to about my health anxiety as no one understands

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there, Do you know what the culture came back as the first time you were put on antibiotics?  When you did the urine culture did you make sure to clean the area before peeing in a cup (often times it can get contaminated).  Have you been tested for a vaginal infection as it can bring on the very same symptoms as a UTI and they need different meds to treat.   Leading up to your period can be a big difference because PMS can bring on all sorts of things, back pain, cramping, and frequent urination.  Often times UTI symptoms are other things.  I would say if the meds aren't clearing it up there is a good chance it is not a UTI.

• Posted

Hello,

My culture came back positive for thrush and that was it! Got a pill for it from the doctor and the lower abdominal pain has gone.

However, I'm now experiencing back pain and I'm absolutely terrified it's my kidneys. I've read online that bacteria can sometimes not show on the cultures so worried that could've happened and it's spread sad

But to be fair, I haven't had any other symptoms of a kidney infection like a fever and it gets worse with movement which kidney pain doesn't do but I am going to go to the doctors tomorrow just incase.

• Posted

You sound like me, researching to make our anxiety worse.  It is correct that low number bacteria's are not always stated on cultures and even doctors won't usually prescribe for low count numbers, the reason for this is it is more than likely contamination.  The problem is because there are only a handful of antibiotics for UTI's and if they are used too much then bacteria will eventually become resistant, not to mention the side effects and chances of more infection.  It is a good idea to get checked again to make sure, but if nothing shows than it is more than likely something else.  What you can do to preven further infections is drink lots to keep bacteri and organisms contantly flushing out, take a probiotic that is made for women, and even a vaginal probiotic would be a good idea seeing you had thrush going on.  There are great supplements at health food stores that help prevent further infections.  I am all about preventatives because getting these pesky infections are horrible.

• Posted

Thank you for your reassurance, I'm the worst for googling my symptoms and blowing things way out of proportion...

I have purchased some d mannose so I was planning on taking that along with cranberry pills bought from holland and Barrett plus I've been drinking SO much water! and I will be sure to look into other ways to prevent this again, it's been the worst week I've had with my anxiety for a while!

• Posted

I totally understand, I am the same way, anytime something is off, I get on google and get myself in such a dither.  If I can offer any advice, is to try and not stress over it, I did for months because I had the bladder pain and urgency and all my cultures came back clear, or low bacteria (which the urologist would not treat) or sometime contaminated, I even tricked myself into thinking I had a kidney infection when I didn't.......what happened is after several months of this I developed shingles, and then I freaked out wondering how I got that and the number one culprit for younger people is stress...IMAGINE THAT! Haha

• Posted

Oh wow! Yeah I'm trying to convince myself I don't have a kidney infection as I've heard the pain is worse than labour and my back pain is nowhere near that... I think it may be related to my period being due.

It's funny what stress/anxiety can cause! I feel much better this morning so looks like I'll be okay

• Posted

Hi Katie!

I know this post is old but I wanted to tell you I currently have a kidney infection. I had back pain and pain in my side only with movement. No fever no nausea no vomiting. Don't believe everything you read online lol  I hope you are better now but I just wanted to let you know because it is nothing to mess around with or leave untreated. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hey this post is about year old but I wanted to say that for about a year I had really bad recurring UTI's 2 of which ended in kidney infections and when it gets that bad you won't be wondering if you have it. I had fevers of 102.5, throwing up, extreme pain where I couldn't sleep or move and had be taken to the hospital. It was terrible but wanted to assure you that you would know if the infection made it to your kidneys. Hope that helps!

• Posted

So thought I would re visit this thread as I think my UTI has come back..

This morning I woke up with a stabbing pain in my bladder and I've had it on and off all day. My back is also starting to hurt and once again the worries about a kidney infection have begun.

So annoyed this has come back after a month sad I'm sure it was treated the first time as I use the urinalysis test strips and they were all negative after my antibiotics. Annoyingly I don't have any at the moment so have to wait until Monday to go to the doctors sad

This is so frustrating!!

• Posted

Hi Katie,  So sorry to hear you are having symptoms again....it's so frustrating to say the least.  Is it possible to go to the emergency room at the hospital.   That way they can do a urinalysis to detect if there is an infection?  I am just thinking it would be less worry for you being it is the weekend.

• Posted

Hello again,

I've managed to book an out of hours GP appointment for today (Sunday) which is good.

I may visit my normal GP tomorrow aswell as my period is delayed this month (not pregnant). Me and my boyfriend think I may have low estrogen levels and this may explain having two UTIs in a month

Feeling really frustrated, I'm 19 and don't want to be dealing with this especially as I go to uni this year. I have a friend my age who suffered from multiple UTIs now she has a weakened bladder and has to be on a low dose antibiotic all the time, I fear this will now be me sad

• Posted

Glad you got in earlier to get checked out.  Hopefully it won't come to being on long term antibiotics.  I would get your horomones checked and try to find the root.  It isn't easy I know because there can be so many reasons for a woman.   It is usually perimenopausal women and menopause that causes low estrogen levels, but I know it can happen at any age.  Good luck and I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

• Posted

I've just finished day 2/3 of taking trimethoprim , thought I was feeling better (UTI wise) earlier but feel like frequency has come back. Antibiotics are making me feel crappy.

Going back to the doctors tomorrow, just hoping it's a case of thrush like last time as having similar feeling. I do drink so much water so this might be causing the frequency but when I check my urine I have sediments floating about that look like

dead skin almost, so that's how I'm guessing I still have the UTI

Very, very frustrating.

• Posted

Just remember it takes time sometimes for antibiotics to clear up bacteria and it has to be the right antibiotic for the right bacteria.  Just because there are sediments in your urine that doesn't mean it is coming from your bladder, in a woman it can be sediments from the vaginal area.  My urologist told me it is very hard for women to give a urine sample that doesn't get contaminted.   If I were you, if you still have no relief and the culture comes back clear, I would get a vaginal swab done to rule out yeast or bacterial infection in the vagina....they can very much mimic a UTI.  . Definately drinking lots of water is going to make you go more frequently and it can actually put a strain on your bladder too..  Sorry to hear you are not feeling much improved.  Just remember being on antibiotics and not needing to be can cause more issues, like yeast over growth, intestinal issues....and just the threat of resistance in the future...so I would make sure what you are experiencing is a true infection.  Did they find white blood count or blood in the urine?

• Posted

There were white blood cells and a bit of blood found in my urine (not visible) - the same as last time. I wish I didn't say to my doctor that the nitro didn't clear the infection because it actually did as the culture came back clear for any UTI bacteria sad

I'm getting twinges of pain in my back, nothing serious but worried about kidneys. I will go to the doctors tomorrow morning and hopefully get this sorted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.