petrified of up and coming bunion surgery and recovery

Posted , 12 users are following.

I ve had a bunion on my left foot since as long as i can remember and i m.now 36. It has got more and more severe and i m finally going for surgery after putting it off time after time. I ve just had a letter telling me i will get an offer of surgery shortly

I cant tell you how absolutely petrified i am about it. I have daily anxiety about it and it consumes my thoughts all the time. I m such an active person and have a hyper border collie. I have plans in place in terms of my partner exercising the dog and a dog walker but i m the usual dog walker and my dog is so bonded to me. I m scared how he ll react as i m aware i probably cant walk him for six weeks. I suffer from low mood at times and am scared of this as my activity keeps the mood at bay. I m scared of the actual operation and the pain afterwards. I ve never had surgery in my life. I m crying as i write this. I m scared they wont give me a general anaesthestic and i ll be awake for the procedure. I dont have any option but to have the surgery as my bunion is so large and can hardly get in any shoes. It will only get worse

Please could someone help me with some kind of advice/reassurance. I m going nuts sad

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jenny,

First thing first: you are NOT going nuts, and it is perfectly normal to be scared before the first surgery in your life. I had my double bunion surgery 8 weeks ago, and my thread with all the details is just beside yours - take a look, I think you'll find it reassuring.

Now to your concerns. I think you need preparation for yourself and for your dog. Will your partner be able to spend large part of his/her time with you for the first 2-3 weeks after the operation. This would really help. A few days before the operation, start transfering the dog-related duties to your partner. When you see that you both will be taken care of, you'll feel more confident :-).

About the general vs. local anesthetic: for these operations you are usually given a choice. I went for general and have no regrets. I woke up three hours after walking into the surgical theatre (and I actually walked there :-) ) in a recovery ward with bandages and wedge shoes on, and no pain whatsoever. Even the post-anesthetic hangover was almost non-existent. There is no chance that you wake up during surgery - modern anestehsia is a mature technology and is very reliable.

How soon you can walk after the operation would depend on the exact surgical procedure. Your surgeon can tell you what to expect. I walked in the wedge shoes since the day 2 (including walking up and down the stairs), used crutches for some 5 days, and wore wedge shoes (i.e. partial weight bearing) for 6 weeks. Now I'm back to work and back to commuting (two buses and some 1.5-2 km of relatively slow walking).

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Yuri

• Posted

Thanks yuri. Your story was v positive. I m glad ur recovery is going well. X
  • Posted

Thank you for the majority of helpful responses. I just feel as if i m not mentally strong at the minute. All ur posts are very reassuring and should make me feel better but i m still so amxious. My partner cant understand why. I wish i could get a handle on my emotions. Still 3 weeks to go and i ll drive myself crazy ay this rate.
    • Posted

Thinking of you. I will send a private message.
  • Posted

Hi Jenny

I can relate to your fear and heightened anxiety level. I haven't scheduled my surgery yet. At least you're close to doing that! My bunion is severe but does not hurt. However it is severe enough that it is altering my gait so that I am actually walking on the side of my foot which causes pain in my foot and ankle area. I am in the southern US (Texas) and would like to find a surgeon who does the keyhole surgery to ask about it. I'm 66 yrs old and the doctors are a little worried about my age and being non weight bearing for 6-8 weeks. Their nervousness makes me nervous. Is anybody reading this who is not a million miles away from me and can give me a referral or some info about the keyhole surgery versus the incision in the top of my foot they are planning on doing??

Thanks for any info anyone can give me.

J

• Posted

Hello Jenny

I had the same anxiety problems that appeared as a possible urine infection, visiting the toilet about 16 times a day. As I talked to the doctor about it I knew it was panic about my forthcoming foot surgery operation. It helped talking it through. By the time the op came I was much more relaxed. I had done all my worrying! I am now day 6 post op and have had no pain. I barely took the painkillers. I am frustrated and incapacitated. I was told to elevate foot at all times.  That's where I'm at and I wonder about the next stages. Keep cool. We were lucky to get it done on the NHS 

• Posted

Hi brenda. Yes thats how i work .vworry and worry early on,get it over with. I ve just found out my mum has dementia which hasn helped. But i feel maybe the rest aftet the op is what i need. Glad ur recovering well
  • Posted

Well i m still going ahead with surgery. I saw the surgeon this week and he s doing a scarf osteotomy. He also said my second toe joint had been affected cos of the bunion so he can do that at the same time. I will be having a GAand an ankle block. Then cocodamol. He said he d have me fully weight bearing straight away in a special shoe which i was surprised about having read all these forums about constant elevation. He disagreed with the elevation stuff and said its not how things work these days due to risk of dvts etc

He s done lots of surgeries and is well respecte here in ni so i m trying to have full faith in him. The surgery is 5 march. I ve had so much going on personally but i need to go through with this as if i cancel it i ll have to wait another year. Hopefully it will all be ok.

• Posted

Hi Jenny

I was in privatw hospital (on NHS) for 11 hours after a general. They gave me my special boot and alliwed mw to walk out. I went back 2 says later with evidence if bleeding through the bandage. Invious really account where foot is! My advuce us accept wheelchair out and elevate for a week. After inital bleedingbthey just bandaged iver bansage but ut happened again. Op qas 9 Feb andbtoday is 20 Feb. All is well. I find a bit of load bearing stops the numbness. Next appointnent is 26Feb. I'll keep in toich

• Posted

Hi brenda. Thanks for reply. I get confused with the conflicting advice and i m told to follow my surgeons dirctions. Surely he should know if he s done hundreds of these surgeries. Not good to hear your experience with bleeding though. Did you have a heel walking shoe. He said the shoe he will give me will ensure the bunion site is protected when weightbearing.
    • Posted

Hi brenda i also nore from your other posts that you have had different surgery to mine therefore i suppose its hard to compare.
    • Posted

Yes i had heel walking shoe. But advice is elevation, elevation,elevation! My foot has often been numb. I found pottering best , however, i was careful due to initial bleeding. I wear a flight long sock of other leg permanently! Bathing has been very difficult. You get used to it ! I am on countdown til Friday, my next appointment
  • Posted

Hi Jenny, Hope you're hanging in there ok for your op. You've had some good advice and remember there are countless more of us who've had the same op as you are having who've had really sucessful outcomes but haven't used this site. I had the same op as you're having, scarf/akin, one foot at a time last year and shock horror...NHS and the "old fashioned way" !! wink All fantastic!! 

I was very stressed like you about my dog, who's with me 24/7 as I work from home but I'm sure you'll find like I did, your dog's  going to be with you every minute when he's not out walking, mine layed close by my leg (depending on which foot was the operated one!) all the time. Dogs are the best medicine!! Then when you're starting to walk again, your dog will be your biggest ever asset, motivating and helping you to walk again, it really helped me, not sure I would have progressed the same without him,I'm sure you'll find it the same.  Get your trainers and lead ready for the good times ahead!!! Wish you well, take care and update or message to let us know how you get on.  

• Posted

Thanks bee x nice to hear ur story. To be honest have been avoiding reading too much on here lately as think that was the first mistake i m made!! My op is on sat. Am all ready for it now. No turning back and whenever i look at my deformed foot it reinforces why i m doing . Short term pain for long term gain. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.