petrified of up and coming bunion surgery and recovery

Posted , 12 users are following.

I ve had a bunion on my left foot since as long as i can remember and i m.now 36. It has got more and more severe and i m finally going for surgery after putting it off time after time. I ve just had a letter telling me i will get an offer of surgery shortly

I cant tell you how absolutely petrified i am about it. I have daily anxiety about it and it consumes my thoughts all the time. I m such an active person and have a hyper border collie. I have plans in place in terms of my partner exercising the dog and a dog walker but i m the usual dog walker and my dog is so bonded to me. I m scared how he ll react as i m aware i probably cant walk him for six weeks. I suffer from low mood at times and am scared of this as my activity keeps the mood at bay. I m scared of the actual operation and the pain afterwards. I ve never had surgery in my life. I m crying as i write this. I m scared they wont give me a general anaesthestic and i ll be awake for the procedure. I dont have any option but to have the surgery as my bunion is so large and can hardly get in any shoes. It will only get worse

Please could someone help me with some kind of advice/reassurance. I m going nuts sad

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So i was all ready and worked up for my surgery and just been rung to say its been cancelled due to staffing issues and will be in 3 weeks instead. Not a happy bunny. All my arrangements and reallocated cases at work now to be sorted again. Plus another 3 weeks of wory. Not fair sad
    • Posted

eek Nooooooo.....so not fair. What a nightmare. Feel for you, poor you. Hang in there , will be worth it in the end for lovely new feet. xx
    • Posted

Hi there I was supposed to have my op on 5th january and like yours was cancelled but had mine done on 3rd feb and from what you have wrote it sounds exactly same op as i have had, some of the replies you have had are a bit scary, but I wanted to let you know my story I went in earlymorning went to theatre at 9am talked to anaethatist, surgeon and nurse told them how anxious I was and scared of what was going to happen and terrified the pain would be awful but was reassured, dont remember anything else woke up on the ward at 12.30, all done no pain, stayed in bed , seen by physio next day got fitted for the shoe walked with them some discomfort but no more than the pain I have been having anyway before op, stayed in another night then discharged home, I had to rest only walking when needing bathroom really sat with foot up as instructed, our 2 dogs just sat with me ,relative visited regularly while hubby was at work, went for my check two weeks later all dressings removed and good soak in warm water and now walking about slowly in my shoe, I managed to have showers bought a cheap stool and black bin bags and covered up to my knee, just got rid of stool a week ago feel happy to stand now , i go back to hospital in 10 days and hoping that by then its 6 weeks so i will hopefullybe able to drive , but it has gone well no complaints and i really dont do pain, my advise would be do as the surgeon says and recovery will be good and I am the most impatient person ever, I think I can understand what you are going through but it will. Be ok, hope this helps 😉😉😀😀
    • Posted

Hi denise. Thanks for ur very helpful story. I m glad to hear its gone well for u and has given me hope for a positive experience too. The advice given to me by surgeon was i will be walking straight away in the shoe and wont need to elevate my foot which os contrary to the info i ve read here but i m also told to follow what my surgeon says so i guess i ll have to do that. I was surprised when i rang up hearing from thenprocedures line that i ll be in for maybe two nights as the surgeon had said i d be out same day. Very confusing but i have to just put my faith inthem. I ve had a rough week as so many people i ve spoken to have gone on about what a painful procedure this is and i dont do pain!! Its helped that some people on here have given more positive info and surely like yourselfthey know as theyve had it. What painkillers were u given at homevand were theystrong enough? Thanks xx
    • Posted

Hi jenny glad you found my comments helpful, I forgot to say my op was under Nhs too in liverpool , the painkillers given in the hospital were cocodamol but for me werent strong enough, so I was changed to tramadol which after a day of tweeking up to 100mg twice a day with paracetamol and ibuprofen also did the trick for me, I am a nurse and each consultant will differ slightly so wouldnt worry too much, he just said that he felt by only walking when necessary and keeping the foot well elevated in between helps healing and my wound has healed well so I feel I did what was advised and it worked for me , so my advice still is to go with what he advises and if you think of anything else dont hesitate to ask, good luck xx
    • Posted

Thanks denise. Yeah my consultant had said it would be cocodamol and i felt this probably wouldn be strong enough. Maybe they are for some people. Just wish it was tmrw! Oh well. Need to try and live in the moment. My friend whos a cbt therapist aaid to me if u can cope with toothache u ll be ok wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.