Physical Therapy

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just wondering how long you all went to physical therapy.  Not home exercises,  but going into  a therapy office.   Especially if you had repeat surgery or an extensive procedure.    I've been going for a little over 3 months.  When I saw my surgeon last week, he was giving me a little grief over extending therapy another 6 weeks.  I don't feel like I'm ready to stop. I feel like we have gone this far, why stop before we are done?  I just started the strengthening part, and I still don't have full unassisted range of motion.  My therapist feels 5 months is about right.  It makes me feel like my surgeon thinks I'm not going  to get any better sad   This is my 3rd surgery in 2 1/2 years and I, and my therapist, are being super cautious because this is my last chance.  It seems like if I want to go to therapy, it's my choice.  Why does the surgeon care?  It doesn't affect him. That's why I wonder if the surgeon has given up on me.   I happen to have very good insurance which gives me 75 visits a year.  

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had hemiarthroplasty (replacement of the humeral ball) last September and did all of the post-op PT at home, with weekly video updates emailed to my surgeon until I reached the goal of 170° of flexion. Beyond that, I've found working with a personal trainer at the gym has been somewhat helpful, and am currently in PT for my hips (also both prosthetic) with intermittent treatment for ongoing shoulder issues (bicep tendon keeps popping out in my sleep and getting inflamed for days to weeks at a time). Like you, I have good insurance and can go to PT as much as my schedule allows. If you want to continue and your surgeon is over it, maybe have your primary refer you to PT? Just a thought.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice.  I've thought of my primary too.  The PA that works for her was a physical therapist before going to PA school so I am sure she would order it.   I don't know if the doctor thinks I'm getting dependent on physical therapy or what but that's just doesn't make sense.   I obviously don't have that equipment at home.  

• Posted

My  Surgery was January 30. Rotator cuff repair 95% torn. Started PT twice a week at seven weeks postop. I’m down to one day a week but find I still don’t have complete  ROM. I am now doing acupuncture, cupping, and Massage in between my PT appointments. I’m just not ready to give it up. Although my PT is not covered by insurance at all. I pay every penny just like I paid for most of my surgery. So I hesitate  going for much longer!

If u have ins... why would your Dr be opposed to it?  That part makes no sense to me. I say if you have complete coverage for PT for 75 visits I would take all 75. Why not? 

• Posted

Thanks Mia.  I've been right behind you right along, so it's good to hear your opinion.  My surgery was Feb 15, 2 weeks after you.  We seem to be moving along at the same pace.   Makes no sense about my doctor either.  I saw my PT today and he is going to give the surgeon a call and see what's up.  Maybe he just had a bad day when I saw him.  I know I am very fortunate to have insurance covering all this.  Not milking it, but I sure will use what I need.  A lot cheaper than going back under the knife.  

• Posted

I wouldn't even worry about what your surgeon thinks at this point and just keep up with the p/t. Before my first surgery I was seeing a great physical therapist for frozen shoulder who worked with me for 3 days a week for 3 months before telling me that I really needed surgery, my frozen shoulder wasn't getting any better. 

My orthopedist was dismissive. She told me that she lives fine with frozen shoulder and steroid shots. I went back to my p/t and he told me to get a referral to a surgeon from my doctor. That hadn't even occurred to me. I had decompression surgery and was better and out of physical therapy within 3 weeks of the surgery. That's a special case story. 

The lesson that I learned is that a good physical therapist is worth 3 orthopedists, and right now your doc is operating as an orthopedist, not as a surgeon.

A bad physical therapist on the other hand is worthless.

• Posted

I agree with you.  A good physical therapist is worth their weight in gold.  A surgeon does their job, follow  up a few times  and that is it.  The PT sees me a couple of times a week and knows my progress.  The trouble is the surgeon is the one who has to give the written  order to the therapist so that the insurance will pay.  I still think the surgeon would be happy I am committed to physical therapy until this shoulder is working well.   At this point, my therapist is communicating with the surgeon to try and resolve the whole thing.  Absent that,  I'm off to my primary care doctor who I know will write the order.   Thanks for your input and good luck  to you!

• Posted

Me, I'm done with physical therapy...at least these ones. They seem reluctant to let me go but I know I'm going to need them again down the line for the bicep tendonitis and maybe not even then.

I just need a break. At this point, all I get is some ultrasound therapy and some stretching. I seem to be doing really well on my own, I almost have full ROM at 12 weeks. I'm still a little stiff but I do my exercises frequently. I'm honestly dead tired of doctors and physical therapists.  All doctors. I don't want to see any of them. This has been a 3 year process for me to get to where I am now.  I'll start going to the pool a couple times a week, not to swim but to do some exercises and maybe breast stroke if my doctor clears me for it.

• Posted

I know the feeling.  On July 29th, it will be 3 years from when I injured my shoulder.   Here I am 3 surgeries later.  Doctors, MRI's,  x-rays, physical therapy, hospitals, all  have consumed my life.  I will  be so glad when it is over.  I am seeing progress so I'm reluctant to quit because I want to make sure I never find myself back in an operating room.   So I'll  push on.  My PT yesterday said he thought another 4-6 weeks should do it.  I honestly don't know what I'll do with my time if I don't have to go to  some health care provider.  Ha ha  What a Blessing it would be to have an empty calendar!   The pool sounds like a great idea.   Good luck to you

• Posted

I had reverse total shoulder replacement in May of 2017. And I went to PT until October when it was decided I needed to have a revision done in November. Because the pain never went away and ROM never progressed. Following that surgery, I went to PT until April. I never even made it to the strengthening portion. My physical therapist thought therapy was doing more harm than good so my surgeon decided I should wait a little longer to resume. Just went back to see my surgeon last week and apparently my joint is infected and 2 more surgeries are in my near future
    • Posted

Oh my goodness, you have been through the wringer.  I am trying to avoid the total reverse shoulder, so I had a reconstruction using a cadaver graft.   So I am being super cautious.  A year of being careful is better than another surgery....any day.   I wish you luck and hope you find a solution to your shoulder issue.
  • Posted

At the end of the day, it's your decision NOT the doctor's. If your insurance company isn't making a stink follow through with the plan. Focus on getting better. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks  for replying henpen.  I totally agree with you.   Nice to hear that it's not just me, but others believe the same.  It's my surgery, I know when  I am done with  physical therapy.

• Posted

My surgeon also told me..."strength will return as you use the arm."  I tired of PT.  I had dislocated my shoulder which is how I tore three of the four r cuff tendons.  I had the first surgery to reattach two tendons to the ball.  15 weeks into PT my PT had me do something that I should not have done ripping one repair completely off the anchors.  UGH.  Revision surgery a week or so after...four weeks later PT.  Great (new) PT but I started getting itchy wanting to be done.  I never made it to strengthening exercises with PT.  I finished the second round of PT last day of August 2017.  Last Monday I went kayaking for the first time in two summers.  Surprisingly tossed my 40 lb kayak on to the roof carrier of my Jeep Grand Cherokee with zero issues.  Three hours of gentle paddling followed by tossing the kayak back up on the roof rack.  My surgeon is correct.  It comes back.  Now paddling had some hiccups in the rhythm and tempo on the left side, but it was good, and it was FUN.  Too bad I had an unexpected wet exit - swamping then turtling the kayak.  I could not get my knee where I needed it...tore my lateral meniscus last spring.  It needs surgery, but I don't care to be incapacitated for another summer at the moment.  LOL, I'll see how much worse the pain in the knee is...it's rivaling the shoulder pain especially sitting, rising from sitting, laying on my bed, walking up and down stairs, any side-to-side movement forget.  UGH...but shoulders are fine!!

• Posted

I had surgery on my left shoulder about 15 years ago.  Your post reminded me of that surgeon telling me...in a year you will have your arm up over your shoulder waving at me.  He was right.  Yes it takes time.  Now you would never know I had that surgery, as I have full use of my left arm/shoulder.  I guess what ticked me off was this surgeon (different from 15 years ago) seems to have me on a protocol that he uses for everyone.  We are all different and heal different and have different circumstances.  I talked to  my PT about it yesterday.  He is very surprised and pleased with how the strengthening is going and said I will probably be ready in 4 weeks or so.  At least I can see an end, but I guarantee you it will be my decision.   Great news about Kayaking!  That must feel so good to get out and do something you like.   By the way, I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee too smile
    • Posted

At the end if the day, surgery or PT is more about their earning or saving money than patient care. Just the way it is now. Sad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.