Physical Therapy

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just wondering how long you all went to physical therapy.  Not home exercises,  but going into  a therapy office.   Especially if you had repeat surgery or an extensive procedure.    I've been going for a little over 3 months.  When I saw my surgeon last week, he was giving me a little grief over extending therapy another 6 weeks.  I don't feel like I'm ready to stop. I feel like we have gone this far, why stop before we are done?  I just started the strengthening part, and I still don't have full unassisted range of motion.  My therapist feels 5 months is about right.  It makes me feel like my surgeon thinks I'm not going  to get any better sad   This is my 3rd surgery in 2 1/2 years and I, and my therapist, are being super cautious because this is my last chance.  It seems like if I want to go to therapy, it's my choice.  Why does the surgeon care?  It doesn't affect him. That's why I wonder if the surgeon has given up on me.   I happen to have very good insurance which gives me 75 visits a year.  

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Everyone is so different as far as PT and their surgeries!

I am now 5 1/2 months postop. And I look forward to seeing my physical therapist once a week. If I could afford it I would go to her 2-3 times a week but my insurance doesn’t cover physical therapy at all.

After she’s worked on me and stretched and massaged me, I feel so much better at least for two or three days then it starts tightening up again. I do my own exercises but they don’t do the same. 

I just can’t get in there underneath the armpit and into the rotator like she can. That’s what keeps it loose not just stretches and exercises. 

I’ll go for 1 more month & continue with my  acupuncture, massage, and cupping from my acupuncturist in between! That seems to help also.

• Posted

I've been going since may and it will be 6 mos by the time I'm done. still working on strengthening.

• Posted

I finally wrapped up physical therapy the 2nd week of September. So that was 5 1/2 months of therapy, and 7 months post op. Now I rarely think about using my shoulder. I just do what I have to do and the more I use it, the better it is. Very few things cause any kind of pain. I will never have the strength to lift anything more than 10 pounds over my head. I'm okay with that. This has been a long process for me. 3 years since I was injured.That being said, I am now back in PT for a few weeks because of upper back and neck pain. I'm pretty sure that is from the trauma of 3 surgeries, all that time in a sling and holding my body at an odd angle to protect my shoulder. This is will be pretty short term. Just a wrap up of the whole procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.