Physical Therapy Results

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've just started PT for FS and was wondering if anyone can share their experience with PT.

I'm glad I found this site- most people can't understand this condition.

Thank you-

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sue. Yes, it's an odd, unexplainable condition! I started PT when I was in the frozen stage, now I am thawing. I have benefited greatly from PT, as there are movements, ultra sound and apparatus , that only my therapist can provide. The MOST important aspect, is that you have an excellent, experienced PT, that specializes in this condition. If you don't, I would suggest doing whatever you can on your own . I.e. Slow, long movements. I hope this helps. Once you get through the most painful period, I promise you, you will see the light at the end of the tunnel . Teri

• Posted

Thank you so much Teri!

It helps knowing others with this condition

• Posted

Sue, it sure does help, as it can be quite trying. Another piece of advice I offer to you is know it will get better . A tool I used to help with pain is called a polar roller, which you can get anywhere . The cold helps with pain. Also, don't measure your progress daily. It initially comes monthly then weekly. Teri

• Posted

Thats good to know- I've lost 75% rom in my left arm....patience is part of the therapy, my PT said

• Posted

Sue, patience is your best friend with this condition.😀

• Posted

Are you at the frozen stage where there is no pain?

How long have you had it for?

• Posted

Dee, according to my orthopedic physician, I am in the thawing stage. I can't say I'm 100% pain free, especially after PT, but it's considerably less. No more tears. I was diagnosed last January, but had the stiffness for probably 6 months before I was diagnosed properly. I thought I had pulled a muscle. I agree with you in that you have to listen to what your body needs. But, I believe you have to push a tiny bit to loosen the adhesions. In my PT sessions, I never push to the point of excruciating pain. And although I am alway sore after the sessions, the pain is gone within hours and I have more ROM. I don't believe in creating more pain, so I just work to my limit, which I've learned along the way. 😀

• Posted

no, i have pain now it was helped with the shot- so i must be in the "freezing stage"

I had this pain since the first of june- and just got diagnosed about 2 weeks ago

• Posted

Yes sounds like you're in the freezing stage and unfortunately the pain can get worse especially when sleeping, the freezing stage can last up to four months one that's over you go into thawing stage which is limited pain usually pain will come with pushing ROM, the thawing stage can take anywhere from 8 months to 2 years.

I had the capsule stretch injection which killed because he said my capsule was so tight, it did nothing. I'm 2 weeks post surgery and

• Posted

And my ROM is alot better than it was before but I'm back to sleepless nights 😞

• Posted

It sounds like you're on the road to recovery which is great and yes in the thawing stage you need to push yourself a little more. Good luck with the rest of your recovery

• Posted

I had surgery for mine due to being off work with it, I've been having physiotherapy and they have given me way to many exercises because the other night I couldn't sleep due to pain and the next morning my ROM was less and the pain felt like it did when I was in freeze. I stopped the exercises for a day and the pain has gone, you have to trust your instincts and what your body is trying to tell you

• Posted

I'm on limited duty now at work- and yes - there is definately a line between stretching and over stretching- ouch!

• Posted

Sue, one more thing. The worst pain I had , was if I tripped or had an unexpected jolt of my arm forward. It was excruciating pain. But, the pain would subside after a couple of minutes. Now, there is no pain with those movements. I wished someone would have told me about this part of it. You may not experience that, but if you do, that too, shall pass. Teri
    • Posted

Oh yes, it takes my breath away and brings tears to my eyes..

but I think the shot made a difference and I can do a little bit more

• Posted

My surgeon told me about a patient he was going to do surgery on in a three week time period, the first week prior to surgery he had a fall down some stairs and he used his sore arm and he felt like he was dying then in the second week he slipped in the shower and he was in excruciating pain by week three he didn't need surgery because the falls had broken all the adhesions. I cringe at the thought of the pain but what a good result

• Posted

My right shoulder was frozen in 2010. I slipped on ice, and fell backwards with arms instictively reaching behind. Yes, I cried as my arm felt like it had been ripped away from my body, but I as a few days passed, I noticed that the previous FS pain was better and I had more ROM. I believe I broke up the adhesions. Currently my left arm is frozen (or freezing), and the pain once again is awefull. I've considered doing some sort of self manipulation, but even pushing farther than I should with stretching is SOOO painful, that I can't bring myself to do it. As others have said, sudden movement is the most terrible. Anyway, good luck to everyone, and I hope to unfreeze soon. Mine began Feb 2016.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.