Physical Therapy Results

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've just started PT for FS and was wondering if anyone can share their experience with PT.

I'm glad I found this site- most people can't understand this condition.

Thank you-

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sue,

Welcome to the FS club - the one you definitely don't want to be a member of smile

I did try PT and went about a half dozen times before stopping. It was pretty painful and I was worn out after the sessions.  I then started talking to a few people and found that many I spoke with did not get any results with PT.  So I began to wonder if the pain was going to produce any results.  I then went online to look for evidence-based results for the various FS treatments and there wasn't any strong evidence that PT worked.  I got FS in December 2015 and I am nearly finished with it and have most of my mobility back.  I read a lot and finally read someone's post that she did absolutely nothing and it went away on its own.  AFter trying PT and massage, I began to wonder if it was something cyclical that just needed to get through the phases in its own time.  With some trepidation, I decided to stop all formal treatments and let it work itself out on its own time.  I kept exercising (nothing special for the shoulder) to keep my mood and energy up.  And I'm thrilled to share I'm nearly healed.  So my advice is to trust yourself and your body to guide you.If you don't feel something is working, stop.  And know that it does get better I promise!

• Posted

Interesting you said that Elizabeth, because I tried PT earlier this summer and it was too painful to continue.. I told this to my new PT and she said the shoulder was in the "freezing stage" and it was too early for PT.  After I got the shot in my shoulder the pain is less and I'm trying it again.  

We do need to listen to our bodies and adjust when we have to

Thank you-

Sue

• Posted

Hi sue. I initially noticed my FS starting last September. Ugh can't believe it's been a year. I began PT in February but was unable to deal with tremendous amount of pain. I laid off for a few months and was totally frozen by June. I recently started PT again in July as now I must be in frozen or thawing stage. What a difference a few months make. And a great therapist. My PT guy actually breaks a sweat with my stretching exercises. My bicep has atrophied a lot and I have a winged scapula now because of this also. I am great fun everyday for his help with working my arm and shoulder. Yesterday I slow danced with my husband and was actually able to put both arms around his neck! Every day is a little improved. I continue to take MSM 1000 mg once a day and think this has helped me also get to this point. It has been my savior for pain relief. Best of luck. Slowly but surely it gets better.

• Posted

Thank you for writing Maddie, can I ask what MSM is?

sue

• Posted

It's an herbal supplemental I buy at a local pharmacy, CVS. It's methylsulfonylmethane and has been the only thing that helps me with the all day/ all night nagging pain. One year in and I still need one tablet a day. I've tried to go without buy end up with the nagging pain again, especially at night. I figure if it helps I'll just have to keep taking it. I truly believe it has decreased my swelling also. Can't wait til I'm pain free.

• Posted

My Orthopedic doc was pretty upset that my regular MD put me in PT. I'm a Diabetic, so maybe it's different if you are a non-Diabetic? Orthopedic doctor said the PT can make FS shoulder worse if you in the "painful stage".

do for a Frozen Shoulder. We have to just wait it out and no matter what we do, the FS will eventually go away on it's own. It doesn't matter if you go to PT, have a zillion shots or even the surgery, it will just go away anyway. .....I frankly don't think anyone in the medical industry really knows what's going on, I know the FS is not well understood.  I am of the opinion that the doctors are just keeping us busy until the FS goes away :-)

PS. I have been using the Elliptical machine (gently) for a half an hour 3x a week and also using some light weights, as long as they don't cause pain the next day. That seems to help a little, for me anyway.  Good luck to you. 

• Posted

oops, I mean, "One doctor I saw, said there was really nothing they could do for a Frozen Shoulder. We have to just wait it out."

• Posted

I asked my Physical Therapist about just letting it heal on it own w/o therapy and she said I would lose ROM.

It sounds like your Elliptical machine is helping you with that.  I wish you the best

sue

• Posted

Hi Sue:

When I first starting having weird arm pains, I started physio. I had never heard tell of a frozen shoulder. I did physio for a couple months until she discharged me presumably well. My shoulder still wasn't quite right though deep inside, and shortly after, the pain intensified into what I learned was full blown FS. I went to a different physiotherapist who was very aggressive and pronounced doom & gloom & that I'd need surgery. Instead, so very thankfully, I found this forum and read about being kind with it instead of continuing to inflame it, that I should keep using my hand & arm 'normally', have patience, use pillows, meds, heat, etc. I quit the very painful physio immediately & was more assertive with my doctor about getting effective pain management.

So physio in the freezing stage didn't help - I doubt physio can prevent FS, though that's a common line from those who haven't had it - that we get idiopathic FS from not moving it enough 'thru the pain'. There's no point to physio in the frozen stage. But once my shoulder started to thaw, I went back to the first more gentle PT who is now working on my other shoulder & upper back too. I am mostly thawed now...so thankful!

Quitting the aggressive PT was the best thing I could have done. But I can see that the more careful PT has been effective, along with cortisone & a goal to reduce, not aggravate, the inflammation, and to retrain the shoulder muscles to function again without compensating with the 'shrug' thing we do with FS. 

You might find this thread helpful; the article I posted in it was a useful read for my PT. https://patient.info/forums/discuss/does-pt-help-at-all--518007  

Keep us posted on what works for you! It's the experience from this forum that helped me make the best decisions for my own care, and choose from the differing views.

Liane smile

• Posted

You are so right about not starting PT if you are in the "freezing stage".  I did  that (before I was diagnosed) and I couldn't do it and stopped it= after I was diagnosed and received a cortisone shot in my shoulder- I started again with a good PT who works with me gently and gives me home exercises.

I've been going to her about 2 weeks 2x a week and I'm happy to report my ROM is coming back.  It's still painful, but I can deal with that- she showed me how to stretch and not over do it to get results.

About the shrug thing- I too was doing it (shoulders roll inward) and she has uses PT tape on my shoulders to keep me in good form- it has helped.

This forum has been a God send to us all-

wink sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.