Physio exercises

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi everyone I just discovered this forum yesterday and wish I had found it ages ago. I had my TKR a week ago and I am trying to keep the home physio exercises going, but am really struggling. I hate the knee bends (using the scarf around the foot and skippy tray) and these triggered a lot of pain yesterday. This morning the inside of my knee is very sore, would it be ok to leave off the physio for a day? Many thanks.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

In a way you are in a no pain no gain situation. Probably one day missing physio would not do much harm but I would not make a habit of it.

Sarah

• Posted

Hello

I am 4 months almost post tkr. I found it really hard in the beginning and my leg barely bent at all. However I did some exercises every day religiousy and it has paid off. On days when it just hurt too much to do a specific exercise, I focused on the others and gradually worked the exercise back into the regime. You will come across setbacks like that often so just work around it. I had rest days when I only did one set of exercises but I always tried to do something. Dont be afraid to ease back but be honest with yourself. Its so hard this op and you are very early days. Be kind to yourself too.

• Posted

Every missed day will set you back two or three. You don't have to put yourself into abject misery and your are better off not pushing to that extent, but as my therapist has always told me, up to but not into pain. The body needs to keep moving and to be pushed. Take your pain meds an hour before you start with plenty of water, elevate and start icing as soon as you are done. Contrary to what you might think, the prosthesis isn't coming apart and you aren't tearing soft tissue. It is painful and will be for some time to come. I've gone through it several times and right now I'm sitting here without a prothesis in place due to staph infection. I'll be like this at least 6 more weeks having to keep the bad leg in an immobilizer while working on the good leg to give it enough strength to do the work of two. All the time I'm doing stuff that hurts a lot. When I get the new knee, I'll have to start over just like you are, stretching, pushing, pulling, swearing and occasionally in tears. There are many things you will encounter along the way that the Drs never told you about and therapists like to pretend aren't there. Stay with this forum. Lots of sage wisdom from those that have gone through about every thing from text book cases (of which there are few) to extreme hardships physically and mentally. Just keep working..... Each phase passes in its own time.
  • Posted

Go to the ouch and not the scream level of pain I wouldn't leave for a whole day do little and often. Make sure you ice afterward . Take painkillers about an hour before you exercise. Don't overdo it though. It's very very early days and there's no doubt it will hurt but it's hopefully temporary and the Physio is so important try and persevere it will get easier in the weeks to come but not if it stiffens up
    • Posted

Thanks for all your input. I think because I started so well, had got 107 before leaving hospital, I didn't want to slip back. As the morning went on, my leg eased up a bit and it have managed to get a couple of sessions in. The cryocuff is in and out of the fridge, it is a godsend. It is so helpful to read about your experiences, how some of you manage with both knees at same time is beyond me, I take my hat off to you.
    • Posted

I do SO agree with you about those people who have a bilateral TKR . . .I can understand, though, that to get it over with in one fell swoop (and what a fell swoop!) is preferable to having to face it all over again a few months later!  But how they cope with stairs is totally beyond me.  I was feeling awful today . .bronchitis, etc. and really didn't want to do my two kms. walk . .but now I;ve done it, the knee is MUCH looser, so it really does pay to keep at it!   I was 101 on the bending machine thing before leaving hospital, but still have trouble going beyond 105 . . Keeping at it though . . . 
    • Posted

Bronchitis on top of everything else, you poor thing, hope you begin to feel better soon.
    • Posted

One of the fellows I was recently in rehab with had just undergone the bilateral tkr. He is in his late 50's/ early 60's and in good shape physically. His doc said because of these factors he was a great candidate for this proceedure. He was in great spirits and as a national sales manager, looking forward to getting back on the road around the 1st of June. He did however stay faithful to his pain meds and as required by the rehab facility, received 3 hours of physical/occupational therapy 5 days a week and 1 1/2 hrs sat and sunday
    • Posted

thanks!  Too many hospital visits with my husband  . . too many sick people around!  couldn't avoid it though . . 

• Posted

It is seriously a crazy concept and right after surgery I thought I had lost my mind. But now it's done and the only place to go from here is up. Nothing looming over me like the dread of another surgery. But trust me, there were many times I thought I made the biggest mistake of my life. It's nice to have this group to inspire and motivate and moan with!
    • Posted

Wonderful treatment . . unfortunately, not available here in Tenerife unless you are a millionaire!  I got half an hour on the knee bending machine on day 3, 4, and 5 . . Days one and two were Saturday and sunday unfortunately!  I did mention that to the surgeon when he said the op was on a Friday, but he said it would make no difference. . . He was wrong!
  • Posted

Hello Roo - like you found that exercise pulling your leg towards you v painful! What I did find easier was sitting on a dining chair and just gently sliding my leg as far back under the chair as was reasonably comfortable and guess what! In time could move it back much further. It all comes in time, do a little, and as often as you can manage. You will definitely get there!
    • Posted

Thanks Tess, will begin trying that, sounds good.
    • Posted

I found lunges on bottom step and holding the stretch for ten seconds was great for the bend. Even after the first few of 15 could see difference. Didn't do much else on the way of bending apart from the bike and have 110 bend
    • Posted

Excellent advice. I had TKR nearly 3 years ago and this is what I did

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.