Physio Pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

So glad I found this forum. I am 21 days post op on one crutch but still in a bit of pain. Had my first physio last week and was almost in tears it was so very painful,I have to go back tomorrow and I am dreading it. Physio just seemed to want to bend my knee to a degree that satisfied her remit and didnt seem to take into consideration the pain she was causing me. I am so sorry I sound like I am whinging, people keep saying " were all different" I hope physio remembers that tomorrow. Am I where I should be? I dont know, I walk with one crutch and have no other aids in the house but I still sleep in the other bedroom on my own just in case my poor long suffering man should kick out in the night smile

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Fran, Yes you seem about right at the stage you are.  It's definitely no picnic, at 3 weeks.  But it does improve.....Eventually, but I'm afraid not nearly as quickly as we would all like.  Chin up gal!
  • Posted

I think the main problem is that you have had your first physio at 21 days. That is their fault not yours. The first four weeks is hell, especially at night. At your stage I couldn't imagine that it would get better but it did. The best improvement was when I managed to get a decent night's sleep. Take plenty of pain killers before your physio and just do your best. It will hurt after going so long without physio but it has to be done. The first aim is to get a 90 deg bend and a 0 deg straight.  It is imperative to do this if you want to get a normal life back. Best of luck for tomorrow. Carol. 8 weeks plus 2
    • Posted

Oh thanks Carol and your right about the nights I groan so loudly as I turn over I wake my husband up and hes next door smile I will be swallowing the analgesics tomorrow before I go thanks Carol .
  • Posted

Hi fran at 21days and using one crutch sounds quite good. I would explain to your physio that you found her procedure so painful. They are their to help and show you how to get your bend better, it will really sap your confidence if it going to be so painful. I was lucky with my bends and only had to go to physio twice.three weeks is really early and there is so much other stuff to deal with. I am 13weeks tomorrow still getting knee pain and bad nights but not every day. How are you coping with the weepiness? I am confident walking without aids and feel really secure sometimes. Can't cope with the darkness though, my legs turn to jelly and I am consumed by fear.  My grandson took e to the cinema last night. I viewing room was dark and our seats quite high up. I froze, poor guy had to work wonders to get me to the seats. Getting back down again was another story, the film was great but when I got home I felt so emionally draind I wept for hours. I'm afraid this is what the op has done for me. Hope you have a better session today, don't be afraid to tell her what you feel. Best of luck with your healing process from tucks
  • Posted

Sounds like you're doing fine, but not sure why you started physio a little late.

My physiotherapist told me from day one that you work to the pain, definitely NOT through it.

I would suggest that if your physio is reducing you to tears, then you seriously consider changing to someone else.

Good luck!

Lynn 20 weeks post op today! And improving both physically and, more importantly, mentally every day.

• Posted

Oh thats a good point Lynn, to work to the pain and not through it, I have no option about changing her its the NHS but I will be just that little bit more proactive tomorrow and I will tell her how painful it was. I didnt realise I had started physio late,allthough to be fair they did give me leaflet home with little cartoons showing exercises to do but my head was all over the place and all I could do was cope with the pain. Thank you Lynn for your advice and for taking the time to reply to my post.
    • Posted

If you can't establish a working relationship with your physio is there any chance of you having private physio sessions?

In my view, they were late in getting your physio organised.  I, and most of us on this forum, started immediately in hospital and I had my first hydrotherapy session within a week of being discharged.

Please come back and ask questions whenever you feel the need.  Our heads have been all over the place for months!

Lynn 20 weeks post op

• Posted

My physio was done as a group session?  There must have been about 20 of us, with new ones turning up each week.....We were split into 3 groups dependant upon when the op was carried out, so each group were round about at the same level of recovery.
    • Posted

My physio was done as a group session?  There must have been about 20 of us, with new ones turning up each week.....We were split into 3 groups dependant upon when the op was carried out, so each group were round about at the same level of recovery.
    • Posted

My TKR was 3 weeks ago today and so I can totally relate to the pain which seems to worse from around 4pm onwards, and as for sleeping, I seem to wake up every hour or two! I now have learnt to take painkillers before the late afternoon and before sleeping but to be honest even Codeine doesn't completely block out the pain! I worry that I'm not making good progress and like yourself, I've been in a bit of a fog and haven't been great at home doing the exercises because of the pain!

My physio started the day after my operation and I had two hydrotherapy sessions whilst in hospital which was really helpful, with two more sessions to go. The hospital always tell me to make sure that I take the pain killers before attempting the list of exercises, or before attending the hydrotherapy sessions and not to force my knee and I must say that being in the water really helps physically and mentally. I will get to the local pool when my wound has completely healed!

I've been told to walk with two sticks and to try and build up to walking outside for 20 minutes, but in the house I do tend to use one stick! Walking doesn't seem to be too bad, it's the bending and I've only managed 90'!

A friend of mine had a TKR a couple of years ago, and she said until two months had lapsed she wondered why she'd bothered to have the operation, so I'm hoping that by Christmas I might feel the same!

• Posted

• Posted

It is very important that you do the exercises at home. Have you been told to ice? That is so helpful, the releif when you put a bag of peas on the knee,under it and anywhere else that you have pain and swelling. I spoke to a lady last night who has had both hip and knee replacements. She said she would rather have both hips done at the same time than one knee. The intense pain will go but don't be afraid to take the pain killers,ice and exercise. We have all been through it and understand. We are here for you.

• Posted

You will Glenda. Two weeks ago I never thought I would have progressed so much but at 8 weeks I have started to fell so much more positive. Yes I have my bad days as we all do but it's usually because I've overdone it.I discarded my sticks a couple of days ago because I was told one stick can cause you to limp. So it's either two or none. Very frightening at first,like riding a bike for the first time without stabilizers. 
    • Posted

I think my " bend" is about the same Glenda, and what is this hydrotherapy!! I wish! I will be taking my co codamol though before I go tomorrow. I will be the same as you Glenda and hoping for a knees up at Xmas ( sorry couldnt resist that pun)
    • Posted

Thanks Carol I heard the same about the knee versus the hip too. Everyone told me before I had it that it would be painful and guess what? No body lied smile
    • Posted

I didn't have a very sympathetic physio for a few weeks after I came home but I did have physio in hospital and they stressed the importance of doing the exercises several times a day at home. I really think this is the most important thing as it's not enough to just attend the odd physio session. Luckily I went on to attend a class and am now having individual sessions with the girl who took the class and she is a lot more understanding. I wouldn't worry about telling them it hurts but I would recommend you try to keep up the exercises at home - accompanied with painkillers and ice. Hope things improve soon. Jen (16 weeks post op) 
    • Posted

Do you know what Jennifer I have this walk locally that I used to love to do daily,you know,headphones on, striding out and breathing in the fresh air,well thats my goal,so I will take on board all of these encouraging comments and do my very best to get there, thanks everyone. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.