Physio Pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

So glad I found this forum. I am 21 days post op on one crutch but still in a bit of pain. Had my first physio last week and was almost in tears it was so very painful,I have to go back tomorrow and I am dreading it. Physio just seemed to want to bend my knee to a degree that satisfied her remit and didnt seem to take into consideration the pain she was causing me. I am so sorry I sound like I am whinging, people keep saying " were all different" I hope physio remembers that tomorrow. Am I where I should be? I dont know, I walk with one crutch and have no other aids in the house but I still sleep in the other bedroom on my own just in case my poor long suffering man should kick out in the night smile

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've just seen Carol's comment about using ice which I've found really great at helping with pain and it reduces the swelling. I try to elevate my leg and sit with my ice wrap on my knee for 15 minutes and I was advised that you can do this every hour if you wish. ( don't put the ice directly onto your skin)! 

Did you, or any other readers have problems when the clips were removed as when my 27 clips were removed last Thursday the wound opened up by about two inches and it had to be steri stripped! There's still six strips remaining and it looks like it's healing but I was a bit alarmed when I saw my poor knee!

• Posted

Hi Glenda,yes I had the same thing happen, the skin split but a week later its fine. Someone said that getting the clips out would be a bit " uncomfortable" an understatement!! I had to take 2 boxes of chocs down to the district nurses the next day by way of a sorry for my language smile 
    • Posted

I actually videod the sister removing my clips.  I didn't have any problems....I did have the feeling later that it might open up like a broken zip, but it never did.
    • Posted

I know Pete, I feel that if I bend it too much it will burst!!
    • Posted

Thanks Fran! I was worried that there was something wrong with the healing process! The nurse did reassure me that it was just the top layer and the layers deeper down were stitched too and so it wouldn't all burst open! My knee resembles a bit of dried out old pork! Not that I'm particularly worried about the look of it now, or later, I'm just so hoping, like you must be, that it eventually functions properly!
  • Posted

Hydrotherapy involves a small, really warm pool with a ramp with hand rails leading down to it ( or you can be lifted in via a chair apparatus). The physiotherapist is in the water with you and gives you various exercises to do. The water helps support your body and exercising your knee is far easier but you're doing more than you realise which is great! It seems to really help me.
    • Posted

Oh Glenda that sounds like bliss, but I dont think Tayside NHS will run to that smile but tell you what, as soon as I can I will be down the pool getting a little gentle swim in.
  • Posted

We are very lucky Fran, as the NHS here are using private hospitals to cope with demand, and you get to go to hospitals with better facilities, such as the one I went to which had its own pool. I will be heading five minutes down the road to my local pool as soon as any risk of infection via my wound has gone, and of course I'll have to be able to get in and out by myself, or it could be a bit of a disappointment! Almost time for the pain killers!
    • Posted

I know what you mean about hospitals, the one I went to was lovely and they were so kind but I could have done with more than three days in there and I did feel sort of abandoned when I left with a pile of drugs and a mountain of leaflets and letters, I couldnt hang on to any coherant thought for longer than a couple of minutes never mind monitoring my safe drugs intake,just as well I have the husband at home with me,I did say to him that I think people who return home to no one are the real heroes.
    • Posted

I know exactly what you mean about concentration levels!  Literally, for weeks after I couldn't concentrate on a television programme, read a book or magazine, and barely follow a conversation.

I was in high dependency for 24 hours after my op (normal practice) and the lady in the next bed,,who was much older than me, was going home to an empty house.  How on earth do people manage?

• Posted

I have been lucky too, as I suppose I'm relatively "young" at 57, with no other health problems and I've got three helpers in my house, my husband and our 16 & 21 year old children, plus I've been doing the food shop on line which has been really useful! 

In hospital I met many patients who live on their own and they must really struggle with every thing, from pulling on those wretched "pop socks" to getting themselves a meal-it must be a real struggle especially if you're elderly with other health issues.

Now under the influence of pain killers and sitting with leg raised and chill pack on knee-relief!

• Posted

I have been lucky too, as I suppose I'm relatively "young" at 57, with no other health problems and I've got three helpers in my house, my husband and our 16 & 21 year old children, plus I've been doing the food shop on line which has been really useful! 

In hospital I met many patients who live on their own and they must really struggle with every thing, from pulling on those wretched "pop socks" to getting themselves a meal-it must be a real struggle especially if you're elderly with other health issues.

Now under the influence of pain killers and sitting with leg raised and chill pack on knee-relief!

• Posted

I am really surprised at the different levels of care and support around the country for patients who have this op. I have just been to the physio and I mentioned this forum to her and about the hydrotherapy treatment and she agreed that that there was a disparity. I wish the hospital or doctor had mentioned this forum to me earlier, but perhaps they were not aware of it. Thanks to all of you for your input I cant tell you how helpful it has been.
    • Posted

Hi fran, when  Imentioned this forum to the physio she said it was dangerous!!!!!
    • Posted

Goodness me Glenda you are young for a new knee. I am with you on the medication trail today, I took forum members advive and took my co codamol before physio and it wasnt too bad,she says I have 60% bend I suppose thats right I dont know,their not exactly forthcoming some of them but at least I survived today.I did manage to lean drunkenly on a trolley last week with only one crutch and get around the supermarket ALONE for the first time in a month! I left husband and grandchild in the toy aisle and went on a buying spree. Oh the joy of knowing that at the checkout he darent say " HOW MUCH" there are some benefits in this poorly state at least smile
    • Posted

Well done! I only braved that alone this week at 8 weeks.

• Posted

Funny you should say about the age.  I'm 58 and they told me I was too young to have it done.  I countered this by asserting that if it's left until I'm totally crippled, and older, I might not be able to make the best of the money spent on getting it done, if it's spent at some mythical later date...So lets get it done now, while I'm young enough to appreciate it and perhaps get back to some kind of quality of life and normality!....Makes sense to me!.....They couldn't really argue the point!
    • Posted

Ah Carol the joy of filling that trolley with goodies that I wanted eg : wine,biscuts,sweeties and of course loads of stuff from the household dept was utterly irrisistable,not forgetting seeing him grit his teeth at the checkout and pay up,oh yes I had such fun smile
    • Posted

Lack of acurate knowledge and feeling totally isolated is pretty dodgy too smile

• Posted

Good point Pete,and what about the pain you would have had to endured that can be so debllitating too.
    • Posted

I certainly agree about the wine.cheesygrin I've avoided any cleaning stufft hough. After allI'm an invalid.!!!!!!
    • Posted

Absolutely Carol and I have been told that total rehab could be...well up to six months smile if not MORE!

• Posted

The consultant told me that he didn't do TKRs for anyone under 60 until he saw my MRI scan, then he said a TKR was all he could offer as my knee was in a very bad state! I was a bit shocked & asked him what he'd do if he had my knee and he said he'd have the operation and save sitting around for the nursing home and he'd enjoy a good quality of life in his 50's, 60's & 70's! So here I am with a new Triathalon knee, ironic as I'll never compete in any triathalon but as long as I can walk I'll be happy!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.