Physio Theraphy

Posted , 13 users are following.

How many days after your TKR did you start your therapy? I'm 6 days post op and even though I can walk very well, I'm finding it very difficult.  

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had both knees totally replaced at the same time and the thereapy at the hospital started right away. I want to say they saw me twice a day, had me doing some exercises (some I would do on my own) and out walking the halls. I was in there 7 days and shortly after I was at home, the therapist came daily for two full weeks. We took a week off and I decided I really wanted the extra push, so he was back for two more weeks. I do think that lounging in my bed did me more good than I anticipated. No one ever told me that straightening might be a problem, and for me, it wasn't, because I sat in the bed straightening them and doing various exercises while in bed, as well as hanging them over the edge and doing lifts.
    • Posted

Hi moandrieu, good to hear that you found bed rest helpful. Pretty much every health pro that I've met has said "no lounging", "keep moving", etc, but like you I am finding that my leg really does need a lot of rest. And I'm drinking gallons of water! I do the bed exercises and I get up and about when I can (which is for some part of every day)......Walking around the block would be way too much. Ironically I find that the best walking exercise (3 weeks post op) is visiting my mum in her residential home. Lots of wide, straight corridors and fitted carpet underfoot.....ideal !

All the best everyone smile

• Posted

Don't misunderstand me. I worked my knees all the time. But I think a lot of people choose to sit in a chair when not up and moving. My living room furniture was a bit too low, but my bed was the perfect height. The great thing was that I was working on getting my knees to straighten without even knowing it was needed. After a few weeks I was walking down the street and in 6 weeks I made a 4 hour train trip in a train in India...not for the faint of heart (I was a bit worried about being knocked over, so I made sure I used my cane)!
  • Posted

I tried to do what I was comfortable with at first. But yes it was painful. Having a swollen ankle held me back. Gained more use after going weekly to the physio. Ice packing regular helps. The knee is not much bigger than my other one know.

All the best Anne

• Posted

I saw physio in hospital, pretty much same as everyone eles, basic exercises etc then from 10 days post op for 6 sessions. I'm in Uk

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.