Pickles

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone had symptoms after eating

Dill pickles? I have IBS d and had some

Dill pickles in a chicken salad and the next day ended with gas pain and loose stools.

Thanks

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I remember reading a long time ago that pickles is very bad for the digestive system for someone with diarrhoea.  I would like to post a link but it will likely be deleted but typing this into a search engine will surely give you many results saying the same.  I would never touch anything like that again.  This is why I only eat my own salad now.  The other week I had a sandwich from a shop and something disagreed with me as I was very ill the next day.  No idea what it was but those little additions they put in sandwiches can definitely upset my stomach.
  • Posted

Hi:  I replied to you yesterday but since I included a link to the list of no no foods, my reply went into the ozone (had a link to a web site).  Yes, I've had trouble with pickles or maybe it was the chicken salad I too ate -- think mayo, etc.  Hard to know unless you eat chicken salad without pickles or vice versa.  I have had problems with pickles and there are on the avoid food list of possible triggers.  Do a net search of pickles and IBS.  You'll find the article.  Hope you are feeling better.  I know exactly where you are coming from.  Frustrating and feeling ill.  smile

• Posted

If I have chicken salad I have a whole meal bap chicken and maybe a few spinach leaves or cucumber and that is it. No mayo, no pickles as that extraneous stuff makes me so ill. I met up my my ex a few years back and she bought me this baguette and bit into it after she said it was plain. I swallowed a mouthful of mayo and possibly pickles. I wrapped it and when I arrived back at her house I tried to make it as bland as possible wiping off all the mayo and anything else and I did a good job but I still very ill and decided it would be for the best and leave. Unfortunately I had to try and eat some of it a short she did not have anything else in and if I had not eaten I would have had a sure fire migraine. As it was I ended up with one anyway but that was 50/50. I am usually ill the following day but that was within a few hours of that baguette. I definitely blame the sauces and other gunk they put on. My stomach just can't process any of it.

• Posted

Sorry I know this condition is so frustrating.  Try eating a pickle by itself, if you're feeling brave and see if you have a reaction.  I can eat a pickle alone (I love them) but I know they should not be eaten.  I too suspect sauces when I'm not sure of the ingredients.  I went out for breakfast for the first time in at least 2 years and was happy that the eggs and bacon stayed in.  Sigh. 

• Posted

It's not worth it. It's going to take a few days for gut to get back in shape 😑

• Posted

Btw I wonder if there is a book out there as a handy guide the does and fonts for people with IBS?
    • Posted

Check the amazon web site and you'll find a lot of them.

• Posted

I did and all they have is diets. I would like a guide of what foods one should eat that would not upset the gut and which ones would or could cause upset. It's would be nice to have something on hand.

• Posted

OK put into your browser ibsdiets dot org then there is a link to the fodmap listing the goods and the nasties. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.