Pins and needles

Posted , 19 users are following.

Just a quickie, I'm due to have a 2 level ACDF in March. Most of my symptons/pain have been in my left shoulder, arm and hand, along with headaches and shivers. However, just lately I have been getting pins and needles, which wake me at night, in my right hand.

Do you think this is significant or just more of the same?

Sandra

1 like, 283 replies

283 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sandra,

Not being one of \"the neckies\" not sure on this one...I know for my lower back it was part & parcel of the same problem..as it is a new symptom do you think it might be worth giving your surgeon a call? Even if you dont get to speak with him directly..maybe his med sec could pass on the info? Sounds as if it would be fruitless going to your GP as he/she doesn't sound particularly supportive...

Take care,

Jules xx :D :D

• Posted

Hello there, I'm not one of the 'neckies' either just lower back. Sounds like symtoms of what is happening to you. I'd call my surgeon too, especially if if it happening freqently. Before my op I suffered with pins and needles all time in my leg, buttocks and arm. Try not to worry too much and contact the surgeon asap.

Good luck with it all

Jess. :lol:

• Posted

hi doof

sorry to say its the norm! and yes i still get it, it wakes me up and i have to change positions, i think maybe thats its the nerves thats been bruised but hey im not a doctor, so if your unsure or they,r causing you worry theres no harm in informing your surgeon. just a thought you did say that your not on amatriptaline or such like didnt you? maybe they would help if it is the nerves. just a thought. gail

• Posted

hi all

as you all know im recovering well after my cervical discectomy,BUT i,ve been having really bad lower leg pain at night it really is bad i have to get up and walk around to ease it then use pain meds.i,ve not had it before and was wondering if there could be a connection??? its not a sciata type of pain more of deep aching, maybe cos only the last 2 wks or so ive started my daily walks again after being flat for weeks. i really dont want to talk to my gp about it in case she puts back my work start date.any suggestions folks!!! gail

• Posted

Hi,

just wondered if anyone else had had a spinal injection, i have seen consultant 2day with my l4/5 prolapse,as i have had 2 previous ops really dont want another, so consultant has advised rest,do things that are reasonable no lifting, bending,short car journeys(passenger only as havent been able to drive myself for 2 weeks), can go to work but must be careful, i only work 2 days a week as a lecturer so not 2 strenuos.

and he has put me on the waiting list for a steroid and quartazone(spelling!!!) injection,if the prolapse does not improve after this it will be another op and because of previous damage to my spine he would fuse it!

some advise on this wud b grt

thanks becci

• Posted

Hi Gail,

Did the pain come on when you reduced/discontinued your pain meds?Or did you have a period when you were off meds and without the leg pain? I wonder if its to do with all the nerves \"waking up\" and trying to work properly....even though I didnt have pain in the right leg as it was the left side with me....my right leg has been affected post op....I also get terrible night cramps which leave my calves aching the next day.... Really glad to hear you are continuing to progress so well...are you having physio still? They may be able to answer your questions about your leg.

Since I have come off my pain meds, my knees are now playing up something terrible and so is my neck! I've tried a memory foam pillow but no change...I too am reluctant to tell the GP about this is I can plod on for now and I really want to start work on Monday....I also sometimes get some pins & needles in my fingers on my right hand. I also get this mild ache in my forearm which is reminiscent of the leg pain but only far milder....sorry to hijack your thread....but do you think this sounds a bit like neckie disc probs....I guess once a disc goes, the anxiety goes up about all the other discs...lol

Take care,

• Posted

Hi Becci,

I've had 2 Epiduaral Injections which didn't help my pain after having an Op for prolapsed disc L5/S1 Jan last year. I've had a 2nd Op on 2nd Jan this year to remove disc completely and fuse my back with Screws and Rods.

I have read that some people who had this done have had some relief with the Injection. But I have had complication after complication, so this could be the reason mine didn't work. But I'm starting to feel alot better I still have some pain in my back and down my leg into my foot but I've been told this is because my Nerves have been trapped for so long it will take time to get back to normal. I've also started my Physio this week which should also help strengthen my back.

I know exactly how your feeling, keep your chin up it does get better with time.

Angela

Angela

• Posted

hi jules

i only started to get the pain once i was off the pain meds yeh! im wondering if something was going on and the pain meds were masking the pain. i really dont think its to do with discs as its the lower legs, a kind of deep ache i resorted to sitting in a warm bath last night to ease it .i have been put on 2 weekly physio now so dont get to see her until feb 11 but like you im so reluctant to discuss this with her 1) i dont want her thinking im some sort of hypercondriact! and2) would it stop me going back to work feb29,

I still get the occational burn pain in my arm and the pins and needles with the numbness but its not enough to warrent taking my pain meds, i realize that its still only 7 wks and the nerves take a lot longer to sort themselves out. im going to give it til i see my physio again and if im still having the pain i,ll mention it to her,

you say your having neck ache, i really hope its not discs as you say about the arm and hand symptoms if they get to much i would mention it to your gp , you know what it is we,ve recovered so well we,r scared something is going to go wrong lol. not long now eh before work hope it goes ok. i.ve not had my app with the occy doc yet i hope he doesnt say i,ll have to wait til i see my surgeon to come back to work, as i havent had an app to see him yet! i,m a little worried that working 7 days straight off is going to be too much for me (its our shift pattens 7 on 3 off 7 on 4 off) but on the whole im looking forward to it.

ok i,ve gone right of the subject of this thread lol! any other suggestions would be welcome. gail

• Posted

hi all

OMG does this mean cos we,ve all got or had disc problems we,ll be more susceptible to the same problem further down the road, im beginning to think that way , as there seems to be an awful lot of people with repeat problems coming onto the site! why the hell dont the surgeons fuse at the first op,

hi angela im glad your staring to feel the benefit, it does take a while then it seems all of a sudden you can do loads, i think i,ll only have one more physio session then i,ll be discharged , i remember the first one i thought i,d never be able to do the things she wanted me to do ever again, but hey its surprising what you can achieve in a week. hope it goes well for you. gail

• Posted

Hey Gail/Jules

I went back to docs yesterday due to \"aches\" I get in my lower back and in my calfs, which have started now I am back driving to work twice a week, and when I first get out my car it feels like bone shattering for the first minute or two.

When I go for my long walks now I get real bad aches in lower leg too and like u I am off the meds.

I am back to the surgeon/consultant next Thursday, booked it yesterday, to see what he has to say however, I cant see how we all get the same things yet had different surgeons if its not \"normal\", I am certainly not gonna worry yet about it especially as it i s nothing I experienced prior to the op

Sorry I cannot be of much help but wanted u to know, it could just be par of the coarse.....

Russ x

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I've seen my GP this morning and I have been \"signed off\" from sick leave....took great pleasure in calling Incapacity Benefit and cancelling that :D

So I return to work on Monday, which is fantastic :magic: and my degree studies also start on that day......To reply to Wuffy and Gail about the aches.....My physio has said that this is all completely normal, as I have been having tingling in my feet and horrible leg cramps....but this is getting better...Wuffy it may be worth asking your GP if you could be referred to physio to do some core stability exercises...these are certainly helping and strengthening the whole area...well done for getting back to work..I knew you could do it :D

So, as of Monday, life will again descend into chaos with not enough hours in the day again...but this will be good..

Gail...it may be that Occy Health will look at a phased return to work, especially as you're full time...if they don't mention it, ask them about it..

Take care,

PS also seeing my consultant on Mon so we can all compare notes :D

• Posted

I'm sooo pleased for you Jules :ok: :ok: :bubbly: :bubbly:

I hope you enjoy this weekend, celebrate in some way before the chaos starts :lol:

Life getting back normal, how lovely :D :D

You probably won't be on here much anymore, that's the only sad thing sad

Take care of yourself

Love

Jude xxx

• Posted

Hi Jude,

Thank you for your kind words and support :hug:

Although I will have lots to do...I am going to try to come on here most days, as my coursework will have me online most days also.

This site has been a lifeline for me and I would like to think that I can give something back :D

Won't be on here tomorrow afternoon though...England vs Wales rugby, and we all know that Wales will win, dont we Gail...lol

Take care,

• Posted

I'm glad that you gonna stay on here Jules, you were the one that first posted back to me on here and it meant a lot, plus your symptoms were so similar to what mine are now and it gives me hope :D. As you can tell, these tablets coupled with pain make me all emotional :lol: :lol:

From reading posts from other people though, you would be really missed if you stopped coming on here :D

Good luck on Monday, bet you'll be ready for an early night on Monday night :D

Love

Jude xxx

• Posted

Pins & Needles is due to nerve trappage or irritation. If it has just started to happen, get it looked into and don't take no for an answer else it could cause longterm damage if the nerve is affected for too long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.