Pins and needles

Posted , 19 users are following.

Just a quickie, I'm due to have a 2 level ACDF in March. Most of my symptons/pain have been in my left shoulder, arm and hand, along with headaches and shivers. However, just lately I have been getting pins and needles, which wake me at night, in my right hand.

Do you think this is significant or just more of the same?

Sandra

1 like, 283 replies

283 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Not been on here much recently, but thought I would try to update best I could.

Given up with the NHS and arguing with them.

Looks like i am destined to be in pain for the rest of my life, as I am getting the impression that I am thought of by the Hospital, DLA, GP, etc that I am wasting everyone's time.

Started to suffer a bit recently with depression again and severe insomnia, but whenever I try to get seen by my GP, I am fobbed off and told not to worry!!!! Even going to the hospital after blacking out, I was made to feel that I was not worthy of being seen.

I doubt now that I will be around much as simply got nothing to be around for in all honesty as there is only so much that reading about things actually does!!!!

Looks like I am about to lose my wife & kids fully now because of all this, so not the best start to any New Year at all.

All because the System cannot do it's fricking job properly I have to suffer the consequences!!!!!!

Heads would roll, but cannot put myself any more lower than how I feel at the moment;

• Posted

Hey Jules,

Have fun Monday, and yeah u have to keep writing on here else I wont know if what I experience is normal :-)

Will update once I have seen consultant on Thursday....

And as I always say.....NO REGRETS

Russ x

• Posted

thanx russ

yeh kind of puts my mind at rest that other peps are having the same symptoms, as you say if it wasnt normal then we wouldnt be having the same aches and pains, glad your getting into work occationally, i suppose these things do take time specially if i,ve had the prolapse for over 2 yrs its going to take a while,thanx again gail

p.s let us know what your surgeon has to say.

• Posted

all the best jules!!!

hope you dont get too exhausted on mon, it must have been a good feeling to hand a back to work note into incapacity benefit, ohhhhhhhh i cant wait, about the match well errrrrr think i,ll keep my eyes shut for most of it lol, given up thinking wales could do as well as the old teams.

hope all goes well for your appointment on mon too, let us know eh. again best of luck gail :magic: :blackcat:

• Posted

hi darren

im so sorry that things are not improving for you, its bound to effect your mental well being, please dont think you,ve nothing to imput into the site you,ve been around as long as me and i do look forward to your posts, maybe you,ve exhausted most of the possibilitys but have you enquired about a help group for cs and the long term affects on your life. there must be other people out there in very similar situations to yourself, im sorry i cant be of much use on that medical side of it, but maybe self help groups could be beneficial to your wife and family as well, it must be difficult for you all. i felt terribly guilty during this last 2yrs or so as i was unable to do the things that i should have been doing and yes it does affect how you feel about your partner, but you,ve not been so lucky YET and cant see the light at the end of the tunnel, but dont give up your a fighter, and im sure you,ll find the answer somewhere, best of luckgail

• Posted

Will let u know what he says and ditto, slipped my 2 discs November 18th 2005, so just over two years ago now.

Doesnt time flywhen u cant do much.....NOT :-)

As my wife keeps telling me, for over two years the nerve has been rested on so naturally it iwll be bruised and the op was a minor \"major\" op on the back so its noyt just gonna be straightforward and just to take it day by day.....

Will let u know how it goes and let us know if u get any other aches and pains by the way

Russ

• Posted

Hi Gail,

I've been trying to do the exercises given to me on Wednesday at home but it's bloody killing me :cry: , my backs hurting even more than before. Do I keep on doing them, will it eventually get easier? I've only tried the once, it took me ages to get down on the floor. I think I might try doing them when I'm laid in bed how many times a day do your do the exercises?

I was worried about the issue of once you've had an Op to remove the damaged disc does it weaken your back eventually over time leading to having more and more Ops to relieve the pain. I've read alot of reports where people have had 2/3 Ops. I'm 5'6\" if this happens I'll end up 4' (Ha Ha).

Bye for now.

Angela

• Posted

Hi Jules,

Good news, take things easy and have a couple of drinks tonight or tomorrow to celebrate. It's been a long long struggle.

Best wishes,

Angela

• Posted

Hi Darren,

Sorry to hear that things are not looking up for you. It's only natural that every knock back affects you mental state. Keep on at your Doctors until someone actually listens to you and does something. Ask them how they would deal with being in so much pain day after day! If all else fails threaten to go to the Papers and tell them how unfair it is to be kept waiting for month after month in severe pain.

It must be difficult for you and your family, somedays I had to force myself to get out of bed and get dressed, I went for days without eating anything and I was sleeping most of the day in a sound sleep. I felt so down and worthless and kept asking myself why me but I had to get up and do it for my children as they were really worried about me.

You cannot give up fighting for your rights, hopefully someone will listen to you and help you. Keep your chin up don't let the B------s get you down.

Keep informing us all of your progress, it really has helped me and I think it helps if you let everything out and we all can try to help you.

Bye for now,

Angela

• Posted

hi angela

yeh my exercises did hurt at first but day by day i was turning my head a little more (cervical discectomy) the worst exercise is moving my arms, i still have quite a sensative area around the shoulder blade but as she told me im not damaging anything by touch, so this has improved, i did find doing my neck and head exercises were more comfortable laying down, so maybe you could find a position that is more comfortable to do the exercises. my physio did state though only to do as much as that the pain wasnt to much, mind you i did find i had to take pain meds after! i would only do what is comfortable for you at the moment, then have a word with your physio if it hurts too much maybe he/shes expecting too much. im still having pain about a 3 at night though at the back of my neck where the fuse has been established, rome wasnt built in a day so i suppose we just have to be patient eh. good luck gail

• Posted

Hey Jules thats great news, enjoy having your life back you will appriciate things so much more after what you hvae been through!

Take care and dont push yourself too much at first, Lorraine xx

• Posted

Hi

I was diagnosed with a prolapsed L3 (I think) about 3 years ago and suffered vary severe sciatic pain before having a caudal epidural to treat it. Three years later I still suffer from intermittent lower back pain a sometimes flashes of severe pain when I bend down also very occasionally I feel very slight sensations which are sciatic related.

My first born is due in July and I want to be able to do all the normal things a Dad should do without suffering from my back pain.

I would be very grateful if anyone has had a similar experience to me and if they can give me any ideas on how to deal with it.

Kinds regards

Leigh

• Posted

Hi everyone

Just to let you know that I've been to see my Consultant this morning. Examine and talked through everything and an operation seems to be the only option. Didn't offer another MRI scan, didn't think it would help. We've given it 3 months for any inflammation to go down so that won't be causing the problem.

He looked at my last MRI scan and called it a secretated (sp?) disc, unlikely to change over time.

Operation booked for 9th April :shock: however if I let him do the op, it will be open surgery :shock: . I would have to go to another hospital for a microdiscectomy. He said it takes longer to recover from the 'open' operation because it's a bigger cut but by 6 weeks the recovery will be the same. Any views on that anyone? :? :?

My Consultant is going to ask the Consultant at the other hospital to write to me so I can chat to him about Micro surgery but that appointment may potentially only come through after the 9th April and I don't know what the waiting list is at the other hospital either so I'm thinking I should just get it over and done with on the 9th April :?.

My Consultant said he wouldn't even offer me the operation if he didn't think I needed it and I do believe him, he seems a trustworthy sort rather than a knife brandishing one :lol:

Anyway that's my news. Hope everyone else is coping/recovering well. Any words of wisdom from you guys would be gratefully appreciated.

Love

Jude xxx

• Posted

Hi Jude,

Great News about the Op date, but I'm not sure about the Open Surgery it's a case of how bad your pain is I suppose, me personally I would have done anything to relieve my pain.

Hope this is some help.

Angela

• Posted

Hi Jude

Just to let u know, I didnt have microdiscectomy but mine was called spinal canal decompression and removal of L5/S1 disc bulge, it was to remove the bulge from the sciatic nerve... anyway, I am four months post op, the feeling of NOT having \"THAT\" pain anymore just cannot be put into words.... I know it is easy for me to say now but I didnt even question what type of op I was having, the fact I was having one was good enough for me, and now I ache in my back but no real pain like pre op, I ma driving to work twice a week, which is an hour and a half drive and slowly but surely getting back to normal, BUT as I always say, if I had to have the op again tomorrow, I would without a second though, Microdiscectomy or not.

Hope all goes well for you and if I can be of any help, please feel free to ask

Russ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.