Pinworms help

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have been reading people on this saying that ovex has never gotten rid of pinworms and im getting really scared and worked up, will i ever get rid of pinworms like ive been getting them off and on for around 10 years and i havent get managed to get rid of them for more than a year

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi louise I know there are alot of horror stories about threadworms on the internet , I know as i googled when i got them 3 years ago i had them in march 2017 also my daughter who was 5 at the time. then caught them again in sep 19 so 18 months later then again oct 2019 so just over a yr later. I am 42 and had only ever had them once when I was about 10 yrs. how far apart are you seeing them and how are you treating them? Im almost certain we got rid as Im so paranoid now that I check at the slightest itch so im sure I would have noticed if they never went. trouble is they are so easy to catch especially if you are around children.

• Posted

i saw one in september and before i could treat them i didnt feel or see anymore worms untill december and same happened only found 2 and that was it i felt or saw no more untill recently

• Posted

also what is your situation at home have you told your parents do you have any younger brothers or sisters? with threadworm it is very importantant to treat everyone in the family as it is very easily spread so reinfection could go on and on. it is possible for people to have it and not show symptoms but i imagine it would have to be quite a mild case for it to go unnoticed.

• Posted

i didnt take medicine and yes my mum knows and said the next time i find a worm we will go to the doctors and get the medicine and i dont have any siblings

• Posted

i ordered this product off amazon called D.E which apparently helps get rid of parasites

• Posted

first of all threadroom are very common, more so in children from preschool up to 18 but i particularly between ages 5-10 however it spreads quite easily this happens by swallowing threadworm eggs which can happen if you touch something that is contaminated then put hands in mouth. things get contaminated by someone who is infected and scratched bottom eggs get cought on fingernails this is why more common in children bum scratchers nose pickers thumbsuckers not washing hands etc. people in close contact with children who have it are at just as much risk. the treatment is mebendazol everyone in your household must take one tablet at same time then again in 2 weeks as precaution. this can be bought over the counter no need for docs it is also very important to wash all bedding and towels at time of medication and have a good clean hoover and damp dust door handles remotes light switches etc incase of any contamination. this all sounds horrifying but honestly it is really common if you google on mumsnet you will see. for facts go to nhs best not to read all stories on this site they are possibly the worst! I said ni need for docs but it may reassure you to see a gp.

• Posted

threadworm🙈 not room 🤣 also wash bedding and towels on a hot wash its also best not to share towels and to wash towels after use and most important of all always wash hands before eating and avoid putting hands in mouth. I hope this has helped you.

• Posted

I should have just sent a link with facts i missed important part the threadworm only live for 6 weeks then the female comes out of bottom to lay eggs before they die this is what causes itchyness. the cycle of the worm is probaly also the reason you dont see anything for about 6-8 weeks as it can take this long once infected for them to come out so i think as you havent treated it you are just reinfecting yourself.

• Posted

thank you! i have been getting pinworms since a very young age and ive taken ovex and they always seem to come back but im fed up of them and im trying to to read all these things and worry myself i just dont want them anymore as they make me feel dirty and i have had them on and off since around the age of 5. i will be more strict with my hygene and pray they dont come back

• Posted

when you have treated with ovex have you followed up with second dose two weeks later? you may need to ask parents this, also it is important to change bedding towels etc and of course handwashing etc. but please do not feel dirty it does'nt mean you are dirty at all!!! it does help to know the facts on them to help eradicate the horrible little things.

• Posted

wash hands with soap and warm water antibac gels are not good enough. a nail brush is useful. makesure normal detergants in for washing towels and bedding are fine but its recommended a hot wash also dont put knickers towels sheets with other washing in basket. dont shake bedding and towels as eggs can waft in air spreading it more. damp dust surfaces and throw away cloth again hoy soapy water is recommended but i wipe things down with antibac wipes this doesnt kill them but it will wipe them off as long as careful not to just spread around. its also good to wash bottom in the mornings as worm lays eggs at night i did this for first 3 days with daughter then just wiped bum in morning with wipes. did you find out if you had a second dose when having ovex

• Posted

sorry if did'nt make much sense was a little rushed that last message.

• Posted

most times yes i did, for the past week i have washed my bed sheets twice, deep cleaned my bathroom and the family bathroom with bleech and bathroom cleaner and door and light switches with damp cloth and bleach and ive showered in the morning and change pjs and underwear e.g everyday and hoovered every carpet

• Posted

mother will buy ovex when i next find a worm, can ovex stop working after taking it so much and i might be catching these worms from others

• Posted

i can not say anything that is 100 certain as im not a doctor but just from my experience and people i have spoke to about it I would say it is important to do both the meds and cleaning all the cleaning is great but that wont kill any worms inside only get rid of eggs on body and around the home. however it does say you can put an end to the cycle if you are strict for 6 weeks but if you take meds its only 2 weeks tbh im strict for about 6 weeks with meds. as far as i know the thread worm doesnt become resistent to meds many people worm their children every 3 months, something im considering. I really think you should do the meds with the cleaning. I hope you are ok I know how stressful it is.

• Posted

i am just in a very stressful time in my life with my mock assignments and applying for uni's i will get the medicines and take the 2 doses and deep clean for as long as possible, i have always been bothered with pinworms as a young kid but now i want to clamp down and end the cycle. I am a very easily worried person reading people talk about them never getting rid of them and i panic and get worked up

• Posted

just a little tip dont over wash down there that can cause alot of itchness. also once you have changed bedding after first dose of meds as long as you are wearing tight knickers and pjs there is no need to change bedding for at least a week as there shouldnt be any eggs on them. so just change as normal. once you have done a big clean if you are being careful even if you have it you shouldnt be spreading eggs so no need to go crazy with cleaning constantly. good luck and let me know how you get on.

• Posted

hi lucy, as far as I know it isnt a harmful medication probably not a good idea to take too often but i have read many comments from parents that take every 3 months or a couple of times a year. obviously this couldnt guarantee not catching it as you could infect pick it up at a time when the meds are out of your system but i suppose it would lower your chances or stop it getting worse. for now i think you should just take the two doses and follow hygiene and see how you go. do your parents know what they have to do too and supporting you?

• Posted

hi you can buy ovex over the counter i use boots own brand which is the same mefication I take it you live in the uk

• Posted

its important that everybody takes it, does your mum know how much this is bothering you?

• Posted

at the pharmacy right now my mum is buying the medicine and i will take it tommorow morning and wash my bedding and hoover and clean tonight and tommorow

• Posted

hi sorry i just replied but missed this message. thats great all i will say is the sooner you take meds the sooner it will kill the worms we have always taken as soon as worm found i keep box in med cabinet so prepared as we have had twice since march 2017 then 3rd bout this january 😫 be careful for next few days and wear knickers and pjs in bed then you dont have to change beds again. good luck louise I hope thats the last you see of them. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.