PIP

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, i recently went for my pip assessment by ATOS. After reading many horror stories i was very worried it was going to be a tragic experience. Luckily i got seen straight away by i nice lady who listened to my problems and wrote down everything i told her. I had to stop the physical part of it straight away as the pain was unbearable. I am applying for pip mostly for the daily struggles i face with arthritis in my elbows,back and legs and asthma and diabetes. Just wondering if anyone has been awarded pip for arthritis. thanks x

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You have more chance of being awarded PIP at the enhanced levels if you suffer from any form of need or difficulty due to any type of Arthritis than for any other condition, including severe mental health problems, Parkinson’s, MS, Dementia and even Motor Neuro Disease.

The reason is that it is far easier to qualify under the descriptors. The descriptors are geared away from the needs and difficulties that arise from the more serious and life changing conditions.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, hopefully this is the outcome I get.
    • Posted

Les 

you want to try living with the pain of arthritis in all your joints and then say that it is not serious and life changing

• Posted

I don’t like comparing one condition with another. But from first-hand experience my wife suffers from arthritis of some variety in her neck, fingers, hands, wrists, shoulders, hips, knees and feet. I know how she suffers.

But what I was trying to point out is that the difficulties/needs created by Arthritis are more likely than not to be more readily recognised by the PIP descriptors than they are for any other needs/difficulties caused any other condition including some very serious life changing and life threatening illnesses. It is well known that the PIP descriptors do little for those with mental health problems. For amputees of one leg are less likely to get the enhanced rate of Mobility than if they had Arthritis. For those that suffer from Motor Neuro Disease who are fed artificially via tube and require a breathing machine fastened to their face nightly as they cannot expand their chest themselves face a mountainous effort to get any level of PIP award. Even those who have been certified by their GP that they have less than 6 months to live only get the award for 6 months – they are then re-assessed for living longer than expected.

Being as that we are both over 65, my wife’s needs caused by Arthritis resulted in her receiving the highest rate of award for Attendance Allowance (day and night time care needs). Whilst she does suffer, she surely won’t die from the disease. Yet when I attempted to claim Attendance Allowance for the care needs and difficulties faced due to acquired brain injury (frontal lobe damage), early onset dementia, PTSD, Chronic Pancreatitis, Peripheral Arterial Disease, upper and lower spinal damage, an Aneurism in the wall of my stomach, Splenic Vein thrombosis plus a whole load of more rubbish I was told that my needs are insignificant. Remarkable that it is my wife that looks after me in all and many ways yet I am the one that is recognised by the DWP  as caring for her!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.