PIP

Posted , 6 users are following.

Good Morning all,

I have messaged a few times on here so please accept my apoligises if i repeat myself.

When i was a child i recieved DLA as i am a dwarf and had always had difficulties in day to day life.

I use to go to GOSH and Central Middlesex yearly regarding this and i was on growth hormones.

I am now 26 years old and suffer even more now ive become an adult... Walking ability is close to none on bad days and good days well..... its rougly 20 metres then having to stop.

I always need help at home to which i get from my family as i live at home... in this time ive had a walk in shower built at home as getting in and out the bath as it redeem to dangerous for me. My siblings and parents cook my food as the hob stands at face height and with pots and pans on top i cannot see what i am doing, i use to use a step to cook but that was until i slipped off the step and dropped the pan on the floor and burnt a hole in the lino.

I applied on 14th Oct for PIP as i want the independence to learn to drive but that isnt possible unless i have an adapted car which is required from mobility allowance.

I have no evidence nor do i have medication or treatments.

My GP is willing to write a letter explaining my good and bad days regarding my walking ability and the pain it causes everyday including constant back pain.

My inner thighs chaf together all the time due to my limbs which makes it ever more upsetting.

I write this asking roughly how long is the wait from them receiving the forms and me being asked for an assesment.

Ive never kept a day to day diary of this because i have always just got on with it... until the point where i cannot.

please advise.

Thank you

Natalie.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think I heard within a week of sending my form and my first appointment was about two weeks later.  If your appointment is with ATOS they won't consider any special requirements for your assessment before they send the first appointment.  It'll be computer generated and can be up to 90 mintues away.  You can contact them to change this once and specify a closer centre and time of day that you would prefer.  

It does seem that you've been waiting a while now.  It might be worth contacting your assessor to check what is happening.  Some people have had their claim returned to the DWP because they didn't attend an appointment when they never received the appointment letter.  I'm not saying this is what's happened to you, it's possible that your area is just a behind at present and appointments are taking longer than where I am.  Best to put your mind at rest.

The DWP won't necessarily request information from your GP.  If your GP has offered to write a letter I'd take them up on this offer and send this in now.

• Posted

Thank you for your response.

This whole process is scary... My situation has not changed from childhood, well in fact it has got worse.

I live in Hampshire.

If i am successful in receiving living allowance and mobility will they both be back dated from when i started the claim?

Thank you.

• Posted

I think from what you've posted before that you're not on DLA or PIP at present.  If that's correct then both elements of PIP will be backdated to your claim date, that's the date you phoned them I think, not the date you returned the form.

I know what you mean about the whole process being scary.  It's all I can think about and I'm not sleeping.  I've got my assessment next week.  I just hope it goes ahead as I've had some cancelled at short notice.  The stress of one would have been bad enough but the build up stress and then a cancellation is affecting me very badly. 

• Posted

Yes you are correct i am not receiving DLA or PIP at the moment.

Its good you have your assesment soon and that will be soon out the way... but i can understand how you must be feeling. I am finding it hard to try get evidence on myself. If you look up my condition (Dwarfism) or even look at me you can see i have difficulties with everyday life... its like a fully grown person walking around on their knees. Good luck for your assessment.

Please give feedback after if possible x

• Posted

I would request a home visit. Your GP needs to send a letterbox the DWP to request this . Any medical documents saying how your condition affects you day to day will be very helpful towards your claim
  • Posted

I hate that you cannot edit on this site after you have sent the text. I meant your GP needs to send a letter to the DWP explaining why you should have a home visit
  • Posted

Hi Natalie, I would have thought you would have heard something by now if only a text to say they had received you claim form, I would definitely give them a ring, also I hope you took note and copied all your forms and any supporting documents you sent in, also that you sent it registered or recorded delivery then at least you have it was sent.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response,

Yes i took copies of all.

From roughly when they recieve the forms when would i get contact regarding an assesment?

• Posted

I think about 3 weeks for me but couldn't attend first one as too far for me to get there so they changed it to home visit, then four weeks from assessment on 13th September I was informed I had been granted it.

So it could be that it slower because its a new claim or just that they are having to catch up on backlog, still think you should ring to make sure its been received, you should at least have had a text.

Its a free phone number so nothing to lose.

• Posted

Texts can only be recieved if a mobile number was added to the form. Some don't like doing this.

• Posted

I called up and got told the forms had been recieved on 7th November yet they didnt send me a text message to say.
  • Posted

It's only been 1 month since you sent your form back to them. Assessment times vary widely depending on what backlogs there are in various parts of the country. If you put your mobile number down when you filled out the form, i'm surprised you haven't had a text yet telling you, they've recieved your form.

• Posted

I would think from Natalie's previous posts that she would have put her mobile number down, but not sure until she comes back and confirms it, I would still think that its time she had confirmation its arrived even if she has to wait for the assessment date, which as you say could take a while, if they do award pip it will be back dated to date of claim, if they "haven't" received it then it will be a later date for payment to go back too.

Best to ask sooner than later I would think.

• Posted

Unless a mobile number is put down they don't send letter's to confirm the forms have arrived. I would ring them though just to ask if they've been recieved.

• Posted

Hi, I replied on an earlier comment. I have called up and they stated they had received the forms on 7th Nov. Yes i did put my number down on the form.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.