PIP

Posted , 6 users are following.

Good Morning all,

I have messaged a few times on here so please accept my apoligises if i repeat myself.

When i was a child i recieved DLA as i am a dwarf and had always had difficulties in day to day life.

I use to go to GOSH and Central Middlesex yearly regarding this and i was on growth hormones.

I am now 26 years old and suffer even more now ive become an adult... Walking ability is close to none on bad days and good days well..... its rougly 20 metres then having to stop.

I always need help at home to which i get from my family as i live at home... in this time ive had a walk in shower built at home as getting in and out the bath as it redeem to dangerous for me. My siblings and parents cook my food as the hob stands at face height and with pots and pans on top i cannot see what i am doing, i use to use a step to cook but that was until i slipped off the step and dropped the pan on the floor and burnt a hole in the lino.

I applied on 14th Oct for PIP as i want the independence to learn to drive but that isnt possible unless i have an adapted car which is required from mobility allowance.

I have no evidence nor do i have medication or treatments.

My GP is willing to write a letter explaining my good and bad days regarding my walking ability and the pain it causes everyday including constant back pain.

My inner thighs chaf together all the time due to my limbs which makes it ever more upsetting.

I write this asking roughly how long is the wait from them receiving the forms and me being asked for an assesment.

Ive never kept a day to day diary of this because i have always just got on with it... until the point where i cannot.

please advise.

Thank you

Natalie.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just wondering why I need to have a doctor to do a  reassessment for ESA support group home visit? I have had Fibromyalgia for ten years, had two falls on the head two years ago, had shoulder surgery a year ago after four years of frozen shoulder?
    • Posted

Hi if they have said they are going to get your medical assessment done by a Dr then maybe its because ESA support group rules are different, no idea but I'm sure there's a good reason.

I had a Dr for my PIP, think its maybe the luck of the draw, personally I was glad they sent a Dr at least she could understand what certain of my ailments were because one is extremely rare so it helped.

At least she will know what she/he is looking for.

• Posted

This highlights how incompetent the DWP are. I was denied ESA with 0 points due to an assessment they did without a doctor one month before I had shoulder surgery even with sick notes etc. I fought to be reinstated and was. So surely I had still had the falls on the head a year before as the negative assessment was done with those conditions to consider. I was then sent to Salisbury an hour from me by taxi that he had  come an hour away and sent to the wrong address which nearly meant I missed my appointment. We got there just in time to then be told as they had no doctor they could not see me. I now want to work and feeling a bit stronger than before but have not been signed off yet as fit to work. So  I wait patiently not knowing what will be decided by the doctor. If they decide I am fit to work I need a job up my sleeve. The stress is doing my head in!!i
    • Posted

Try not too let it get you down because that will not change a thing but will make you ill.

My first appointment with DLA was up a load of stairs with hand rail, I was unable to get up safely because I was in the middle of my first flare of rheumatoid arthritis and couldn't grip a thing as all knuckles and joints were so badly swollen and painful, my feet were both also swollen and I had slippers on, did look a ducky, when I walked in it thankfully was a Dr who was very considerate and spent ten minutes talking to me and sent me home.

Thank god that was the worst flare I ever had, it lasted nearly 18 months and then settled into what I now class as the norm.

So to me a Dr is the best to have as an accessories, that was 20+ years ago though.

• Posted

No no no not assessories, accesser ? That doesn't look right either

• Posted

20 years ago? 1996. Yes that would have been correct, they were still using the Medical Board as DLA had only started 4 years earlier.

?The Medical Board changed to Medical Services but Doctors were still the norm. It's when ESA came out in 1998 that the private company (ATOS) were asked to get involved. Because of what ATOS managed to do - get people off sick benefit, the government decided to bring out PIP, get rid of the doctors and use ATOS & CAPITA instead. The hope was that they would get enough off DLA and refuse potential new PIP claimants that they would save a lot of money.

?The rest is history - you have to blame the Labour government for thinking up this scheme of getting rid of proper professionals in late 1996/early 1998 and replacing them with profiteers. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.