pip assessment

Posted , 8 users are following.

had my pip assessment yesterday went ok i think they didnt ask me to stand but was asked to do movements sitting in chair eg lift arms put arms behind back look right look left and up and down and lift my legs up i could only do the movement a small bit hopefullu i get a good out come

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Elaine,

hopefully now the assessment is over, you will be able to relax a little bit.  

I sent for a copy of the report after 5 days which arrived quite quickly, this gave me an idea how the assessment went.  I received a letter after about 3 weeks saying that they had all they needed to make a decision, I rang a few days later and was told the decision over the phone.  Probably no more than 5 weeks after the assessment.   I hope you hear soon. x

• Posted

thank sukes i just hope it went well for me its very nervous time at assessment and waiting on decision
  • Posted

I did exercises sitting down and the assessor did say he was reluctant to have me doing any at all but I said I would try. I got my result about four weeks later, but it is amazing how they watch you and you are not aware until you read the report. 
    • Posted

Yes they draw opinion about what they see. If they were just to accept what is claimed - everyone would be getting good awards! It is one of the first rules in interviewing techniques - watch what they do - body language and sub conscious movements of the body tell a lot.

​I still do it when I am (forced by my wife) to watch the Jeremy Kyle show. My opinion of their guilt or otherwise is very accurate just by watching their body language.

• Posted

Had my PIP assessment yesterday and the assessor had me doing a lot of movement sitting down. Then she asked me to read a hand chart of various sized script then stand at the end of the room and read a wall chart. What the hell had reading all that got to do with a balance (mobility) problem? If she was trying to catch me out with walking to the door it didn't work because I had to walk around her desk and had to use it for support. My walker wasn't accessible. She asked: if I gave you a microwave meal would you know how to cook it? Der....yes...I would read the instructions. I have a mobility problem NOT an eyesight problem. She diud ask me to stand and reach down and touch my toes (crikey she made that look easy) I politely declined as I would have head butted the wall. I am quite confident that I will not be granted PIP because she didn't touch on walking distance she just asked me how long I could walk before needing to stop. How is all that an assessment on mobility?

• Posted

hi dawn i only had to do movements while sitting down she asked if she took me to a supermarket could i walk all way round it i said no then she said could i walk down an aisle i said yes but would be in agony doing it
    • Posted

I am not in any pain but my balance is very bad and I fall a lot. I rarely go out alone now because of it but I honestly don't think I will qualify.

• Posted

Hi Elaine, I've got balance problems too and just waiting for my PIP application form. Would you be able to tell me more about the questions you were asked during your assessment. Do you think it's best to answer not safely or without discomfort to most questions you are asked and then explain why. I found with my ESA assessment if I answered yes but, and then went on to explain the difficulties, it was almost always decided that I could do the actvity.I don't know about you but I find it very difficult explaining the effects of dizziness and balance problems and getting them to understand just how much it affects me.

Hope your claim is successful.

• Posted

You can explain as much as your heart is content. The assessor will inevitably have their own agenda and opinion which generally will be miles away from what you tell them.
    • Posted

It's not their questions you need worry about, just answer truthfully. It's the things they ask you to do that they mainly grade you on. I was asked, due to several conditions, to do various movements some I could do others I couldn't. In hindsight I can now see 'why' I won't be entitled if I go by their 'capability' requirements. I have balance issues too and BPPV which is exacerbated by my balance problem but I can Cook with a microwave and take a shower sitting down. Basic needs covered in their eyes. As for walking, seems I can do it with a walker albeit slow. If I fall over it's tough basically. That's how the assessor made me feel

• Posted

Thanks for the replies.Dawn could you tell me more about the the movements you were asked to do? I failed the ESA assessment a couple of years ago but wasn't examined or asked to do anything.

• Posted

The movements I was asked to do were relating to the dexterity of my hands and arms as I have issues with these. Gripping, stretching arm out etc.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. Did they try to test for your balance problems at all?
    • Posted

I think they could see I could barely walk without veering. I have left canal weakness. But I was asked how long I could walk for before I struggled. I have COPD too which makes walking quite exhausting when trying to stay upright.
  • Posted

Hi I just received my assessment report and it's not bad I think is it true for each section that you have a dot in box is two points

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.