Pip assessment

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I am new to this site so a little nervous.

I had my pip assessment at home as I have some difficulty getting around both inside and outside

The health professional who did the assessment was really nice and polite and listened to what I said

Due to reading on this site and others I decided to ask DWP for a copy of my assessment report the day after the assessment and received this on the 9th Feb.

The report in the main was good I think and upon using the self pip test and using the discriptors the hp ticked I have scored 12 points both for care and mobility sections but am not to sure what this all means I am just hoping that I get a favourable decision from the decision maker to be honest

I had my f2f in January and still waiting decision

Mike

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI Mick,

12 points in both mean Enhanced for both Daily living and mobility. This is the maximum award you can have. It also gives you the opportunity to have a mobility car through motobility. If you choose this option the mobility part of the award would be paid to motability for the car. Payments include everything except fuel. You can see the range of cars by googling motability.

Mostly the decision maker goes with the assessment report and will award like for like, it's rare for them to go against that report. Once you have the decision letter at the bottom it will tell you how long the award is for and when your review is. Reviews are done 1 year before the award is due to run out.

If you claim an Income Related benefit then you could claim more money. Of course the amount you recieve will depend on circumstances. Good luck with that deciison and i'm sure everything will be fine.

• Posted

Thank you for the info denise15811 it is very informative I hope I don’t have to wait much longer and that I do get like for like as you suggest

Mick

• Posted

You're welcome. To be honest i've only ever heard of them going against the report a few times. Odds are in your favour in my opinion. You can always ring DWP and ask if a decision is made, if it is then they'll tell you.

• Posted

I phoned them yesterday, told me there was no decision yet as still with decision maker so all I can do is hope

Mike

• Posted

Hi Denise

Got a letter today saying that they have all the information they need to make a decision

How long do you think it will be before I get the final decision letter any idea?

• Posted

HI,

I really couldn't tell you the answer to that. I'd give them a call and ask if a decision has been made, it may have. As i said there's no timescales to decisions. I know it's stressful, hopefully not long now.

• Posted

Called them today no decision as yet but thanks for getting back in touch it is appreciated
    • Posted

Hi Denise

Just thought I would let you know after all your help I still have not received decision letter but took your advice and gave them a ring and was told over the phone that a decision has been made on my pip claim and I have been awarded enhanced for both components and a letter was posted Saturday 

• Posted

Hi,

Great news. As i said, it's very rare for them to go against that report. Well done and thanks for posting back.

• Posted

Hi Their been following what been going on I was in same situation original award was till November  2018 had new assessment done then got same letter we have all information what a waste of time that letter is. waited like yourself watched your time hoping mine was same got letter this morning saying I have original award but with time limit increased till July 2002 Overwhelming relief. I'm not going to get better but I am thankful for small mercy. At least I knew I was not alone Take care 

• Posted

Hi Thomas

Just to let you know that I got decision letter and I have been awarded pip so releaved

Mike

• Posted

it all depends on the Asser tbh with you I was on enhance rate mobility due to all my issues and I had to have another f2f as they didn't think it would last longer than 6months  which ive had my problems since I was 12 in now 27 and there getting worse and the new Asser I saw decided I was able todo more than what I achley can   and also said I could do stuff he never even tested me for ie  on the daily living part there are meant to test your reading skills which he didn't and then said I done fine which if he achley tested me properly he would of seen I would of had great differcalty due to my learning disability's it same with doing maths or telling time . and due to his asumtions I how now been down grated to standard rate and have been made house bound as I had to give my mobiltly car back(I have asked for a reconsideration but for me the mean time I now cant leave the house without having someone to drive me about). if you don't get the result you was hopeing for make sure you go through it with a fine tooth comb as you might find they haven't given you points for things they haven't even tested you on. as like yourself I did the self assement before I even claimed and it said id be looking at enached for both which achely isn't the case as they don't test for it all.

• Posted

Hi there,  from what MICK001 say's in the above post, enhanced for both components has been awarded with a letter in the post  to confirm it .  smile 

• Posted

Hi Sukes

Yes you are correct telephoned Monday and was advised that I had been awarded both enhanced rates and letter in post which I am hoping comes today, but got to say claiming pip is extreamly stressful and all the waiting time does not help

• Posted

One thing forgot to mention Mick is do you claim any other Income related benefits? If so then this PIP award could entitle you to other money as well. I'll glad you help you further if you tell me what else you claim, who you live with etc.

Don't forget there's the mobility car available to you, in exchange for the mobility payment each week. Free road tax also and a blue badge if you scored at least 8 points in the moving around part of mobility PIP. If so then this automatically qualifies you for the badge. You will either need to contact your local council for a form or it can be done online.

• Posted

Hi Denise

I currently also get ESA and am in the support group, I live with parents who are both pensioners

• Posted

Ah because yoou live with your parents unless they both claim a qualifying benefit like DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance allowance then you won't be enititled to the Severe disability premium. Being in the Support group you should already be claiming the enhanced disability premium of £15.90 extra per week on top of the ESA.

• Posted

Hi Denise

Now I am a little worried, I got my ESA Payment in my bank today and although the amount is correct it has gone in my bank as JSA, I am worried now in case they have took me off EESA because of pip claim as I really am not fit to work

• Posted

Hi,

It was most likely a manual payment this time. Payment could have been late being made so it was done manually. Your PIP award won't affect your ESA award because they're totally different benefits. They also can NOT find you fit for work without a face 2 face assessment. Next payment should say what it always says next to it.

If you're still worried, for extra re-assurance then give ESA a ring. Everything will be fine. Relax and enjoy that PIP award.

• Posted

Hi Denise

Rang DWP was a manual payment as you suggested they said claim is active and ongoing no probs

Still have not received letter regarding pip maybe today

• Posted

Hi Denise

I got the letter today from the DWP regarding my pip claim and I have been awarded enhanced rate for both components

DLA will end on the 20th March and PIP starts on 21st March with first PIP payment 12th April and then every 4 weeks

Thank you for all your help

• Posted

I’m facing the same I was distraught on the phone, I was born with a spinal defect and developed scoliosis which because of all that has given me arthritis in most my joints. They said I have a letter saying I lost motobility but get standard care. He said I can appeal once letter arrives but I’m just so scared that I’m going to def loose my car and won’t be able to get out. I just at a loss don’t know what to think just terrified 
    • Posted

Hi Chrissie,

Are you transfering from DLA or is this a PIP review? If you've been told what the decision is and you haven't been awarded Enhanced mobility then i'm afraid you will lose your car, if it's a mobility car.

Motability will be in contact with you to arrange for your car to be returned, it will be a few weeks when you will need to return your car. If you're transfering from DLA they could be a transitional support package available to you, but this will depend on how long you have had a motability car for. If you're not transfering from DLA then unfortunately there won't be this transitional support package available.

Once you have the decision letter you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR. You will need to put this request in writing stating what you disagree with and what points you think you should have been awarded. If you have a copy of the assessment report it will help you with the MR letter request, if you don't have it then i'd advice you ring DWP to ask them to send you a copy.

Did you send in evidence to support your claim? They very rare contact anyone for evidence, it's your responsibility to send this in. I'd advice you gather some evidence to send with the MR letter.

Only 20% of MRs are successful so be prepared to take it to Tribunal. 65% of those who appear at their Tribunal have a decision in their favour. It's a very long process but i'm afraid in the meantime you will lose your car. If you need any further advice i'll be happy to advice you. Good luck.

• Posted

Transfer from Dla I’ve been motobility for 7 years so will get help but that’s not much consolation. I only had the car November it’s really made me rethink things on motobility. I will send for paperwork I didn’t send nothing in but have copies of my mri scans showing the duffle mayors in spin think the doctor could write anything to support me? I see a Physio too anything they can do to help me? Thank you for reply. 

Even if I win this I think I will never have another Motability car in fear of loosing it, it’s meant to help but it’s going to take away my life and my work 

• Posted

Typo sorry *duffle mayors that should say difformaties 
    • Posted

If you became a Scheme customer by 31 December 2012 and return the car to the dealership in good condition and within eight weeks of the DLA payments stopping, you will be eligible for a one-off £2,000 transitional support payment. However, to give you more time to consider alternative mobility arrangements you can choose to keep the vehicle for 26 weeks after the DLA payments stop, but if you choose this option your transitional support payment will be reduced to £500.

Ah not sending in any supporting evidence didn't help you with your claim. Never ever leave it to them to contact anyone because they very rarely do this.

Evidence thats good is, MRI scan yes, letter from your GP but there maybe a charge for this, or some GPs even refuse completely. You can certainly ask your Physio but they may also refuse, but no harm in asking. You can write a diary, ask someone that knows you well to write a letter for you. Ask your GP if they have any evidence you can use from your medical records, again there will most likely be a charge for this. Recent prescription print out of all current medication. Future appointments dates.times aren't classed as evidence. Print outs from the internet about your diagnosis are also not classed as evidence.

The evidence should show the struggle you have daily. PIP is all about how those conditions affect you daily rather than a diagnosis.

I won't lie to you, the process is very long and if you do have to take it to Tribunal the backlog in all areas is huge and some are waiting almost 1 year for a date for their hearing.

I would advice you to get some help with all this if possible. CAB are very good at helping sort this out. They will write letters etc for you.

Good luck!

• Posted

He hasn’t printed evidence off showing diagnosis and notes for 9 years not much but informative and names spina bifida issues with foot and all details from mri scans. Also states server scoliosis so I can explain how this affects me daily in detail. Doctor has written a letter stating I can’t walk more than 12ft without stopping in pain. All meds details printed off I will detail everything just wish I’d have don’t tbis before but not felt withthis since 1995 when first awarded which was indefinite. Thank you for advice though I do feel a little more confident now 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.