PIP benefit - final score

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone know how they calculate the final score for PIP?

I score 12 for a number of the questions, but none at all for some.

How many questions do I have to pass to qualify?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I sent off for this back in October 2013 still waiting to hear from them as they say someone needs to come out and access me, I have Bi-polar which isn't good but you seem to wait such a long time, I am not sure on the points system and would like to know if someone replys to your question, I will follow the discussion ย 
  • Posted

Hi,

If I remember correctly the threshold is 15, so to actually receive any part of DLA/PIP you would need 16 or higher.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Any advice off anyone who has had medical for P.I.P for fibromilgia and been successful I got my medical on 22nd dec I do confrontation to well I suffer anxiety and panic attacks and have all the pain from the horrible diesise please HELP me get prepared thank you ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–
    • Posted

Hi Jackie,

Sorry to hear about the Fibromigia, it easy for me to say, relax - but I have had medicals in the past and tribunals. As long as you're upfront and truthful you should be okay, is there any parts you are for, as in descriptors, mobilty or care or both? My failures in the past were due to my own doctors incompetance, whom filled in the DLA form without even seeing me, it was the DWP doctors that could see that there was a major conflict in reports. I hope what I have written below helps you - partly from my own experience and what I've found out from third parties.

A majority of the PIP, ESA, etc test relies various aspects on your application, however recently PIP, and DLA which effect the ESA, all come under the new sanctions, published recently and more people are receiving the awards without the face-to-face interview. If you fail this time, whatever you do do not give up, that's where many people fail - just because you fail the first time you can appeal and even appeal again, buit usually the first or second tme will be enough.

I would suggest you read a post I made on here last week - I've since heard the DWP are clearing their messy backlog by allowing more people to have DLA or PIP, the ratio has increased in the past month due to a huge backlog, so getting the award anytime now, word be perfect for yourself.

The document I wrote is here:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/advice-on-applying-for-dla-disability-living-allowance--313511

If you need any pointers let me know. smile

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi les thank you so so much for your replie, I took my form to cab to be filled in the man who filled it in hand writing is terrible I can't read it so how them at p.i.p will be able to read it is beyond me I wasn't able fill it in my self as the pain in my hands prevent me from writing, he has just ticked the boxes yes and no but has filled the boxes with the relevant info but like I said not easy to read I have got a photo copy and I have got all my appointment letters to take with me and notes of how fibromilgia effects me and what I can't do is there anything else you would advise me thank you for your help ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–
    • Posted

Hi Jackie,

You're welcome, we are here to help one another. smile

Your main task is to prove that you require PIP, remembering there is a mobility and care component, each one having low and high descriptor rates. To be honest I cannot fill any forms in, I have writiers cramp and arm spasms, so I would be worse than your CAB colleague..lol I can read, but even that's a nightmare - I have bi-focals so trying to read something on paper is just difficult, between 2 magnifications. So, my wife writes what I tell her, ottherwise I would be in some awkward situations.

I read a lot on the internet, so I pick up things - where some people would just read it and carry on (I note things down), then again we are all different. On the PIP Application it is vital that you get across your condition and how it effects you on a daily and nightly basis.

Let's say we had an example question like this:

Does the condition you suffer from cause you any pain when getting out of bed? And let's say you had 2 boxes "YES" or "NO"

Now, by just ticking Yes does not tell them anything else.

So, letโ€™s explain why and how it affects you.

"I ticked โ€œYESโ€ because at first I struggle to find a way of getting out of bed. This can take me 30-45 minutes which is intermittently, from back pain originating from my spine and hips. It is intermittent because on some days I can cope with the pain, if I can. My main problem is being able to get myself up in to a position where I am able to sit, before actually standing and leave the bedroom."

Now, you have told them that you have intermittent problems with being able to get out of bed and it can take you up to 30-45 minutes a day.

If that statement could be backed up by a medical professional e.g. Consultant, Doctor, Social Services, Occuptional Therapist, etc. Make sure you have a recent list of any medications you are on, so they can cross-reference with the information, from your Doctor or Consultant.

There are pro's and con's to getting various rates. With PIP and ESA now, the system works by what points you score for not being able-bodied about something. There are websites that actually help you fill in an Award Application for PIP, what they give you in exchange for cash is a way to fill it in so you will win either both or a few parts of one and another part of the other. Many people use these sites, but they do not guaranteed you will win every time - from what I've seen you have as much chance on your own, if you know how to fill the form so it grabs their attention, and not pushed aside. If you can do that, then you will get somewhere.

With the mobility high descriptor you can surrender it for a brand new car, insured, serviced, taxed for 3 years or while you have the Motability PIP high rate. This is really helpful if you have issues getting around, and it is what I am on, but I have severe mobility issues with muscles, spasms and cramps. You can also apply for a Blue Badge, etc so you can park outside shops in disabled parking spaces, etc.

The Care Component descriptor rates are very different and also depend on your current lifestyle. If you have anyone looking after you then they can be entitled to "mean's tested*" Carers Allowance. If you are on benefits then the sum of the Carers Allowance becomes a taxable income and is taken in to consideration when claiming Child Tax Credits. It also effects Housing Benefit and Council Tax, depending on the rate you are awarded.

An Example:

An example of the Care High Rate Descriptor, is being received by you. If you are married, or have a partner and children living with you, and let's say both children are not in further education or have jobs. Because you are entitled to the Care High Rate Descriptor, means all housing and council benfits are paid in full, regardless if your children started working.

For an assement you would need your appointment letter, if possible a list of all dates of when you visited the hospital, names of consultants or doctors. If you have a bad memory (and this does happen) take a list of notes of how the condition affects your everyday life, and what it prevents you from doing and why. State that you suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, perhaps even how often as well, and the pain you suffer from when going through these.

One question, you mentioned you have a problem with writing, is this what many people call "writer's cramp"? If, this is the case then if no one has informed you before, I would get a second opinion. It sounds like you have a Primary writing tremor which in medical terms is Focal Hand Dystonia - if correct you should be referred by your doctor to see a Consultant Neurologist to be diagnosed correctly. You will find more on this site at this location:

https://patient.info/doctor/writers-cramp

Writers Cramp has been overlooked for many years, some people have it worse than others - yet even these days it still gedts overlooked, and by the way not all Doctors even know about Dystonia and it's many variations. Believe me I have had it for over 30 years - but mine was caused by an accident thats progressed into Generalized Dystonia, which causes seizures, Functional Episodes, Epilepsy, etc. It took top US Neurology Professors to actually diagnose me, back in the 1990's.

If it turn's out you have writers cramp, as most people call it - then it would cause hand/arm tremors, preventing you writing.

I am not a doctor, by the way - let's just say I've had many hours, days and weeks in hospitals since my early 20's. I had cancer, I'm still in remission until February 2015, I've nearly died 2 other times were I was dying from the inside out (that took me nearly 10 months to get over). I guess in some respects I'm lucky with 3 children, 2 boys and a daughter.

I think thats enough to keep you going for awhile, I'm calling it a night - nearly 1:25am! lol

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•โค๏ธโค๏ธ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„thank you so much for the advise I'll take it on board im just not good and not got the confidence in things like this but I'll do my best I can't bend to pick anything off the floor I can't lift hot pans or peel or prepare meals as I can't stand for long as I get lower back pain and I feel dizzy I have really bad pain in my arms and my hands and I drop things with sharp pains in my arms I can't open packets or open screw bottles my hands hurt too much I colloapsed the other day with the pain I blacked out and had a fit so I was told I can't remember much about it my memory is not good at all I forget things I'm really bad I don't like leaving house as I cant use public transport as ive got ibs and my bowels can explode and it's very embarressing so I won't use public transport as I get anxiety and panic attacks im in so much pain all the time I feel like I'm a very old lady ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–
    • Posted

Hi Jackie,

Early bird eh? Lol youโ€™re welcomeโ€ฆ You have certainly made me think there is more going on than just anxiety and panic attacks. Panic Attacks, can be treated to a degree, thus releasing problems associated with Anxiety Attacks. Low confidence, Anxiety Attacks and Panic Attacks, all have one thing in common, you lack assertiveness, which would account for a possible failure in a face-to-face interview. I am not saying not to go at all โ€“ do you have a family member that knows you well that could go with you?

Going by what you have said in your last message, I would think the PIP Care Low rate would be awarded to start with. I canโ€™t prepare food, carry it, even the kettle is impossible! Seizures can come under Epilepsy or Functional Episodes, both are entirely different though. Epilepsy is more prone to body spasms and can be monitored by an E.C.G, whereas Functional Episodes do not produce any form of E.C.G and you are awake, but unable to respond or move, these are normally brought on by Anxiety and Panic Attacks. Epileptic attacks can be very dangerous depending on the type, at the top end of the scale, which I rarely have now I used to be injected with Diazepam into a vein, but this is no longer done this way, it was at one stage given in the rectum โ€“ but people were being told how to administer it, needless to say this became dangerous to the patient if the seizure was still in force. It is now given orally, itโ€™s a Class C drug and sealed twice, if either seal is broken you do not use it.

Just out a matter of interest how old are you? You donโ€™t have to answer that if you do not wish to.

IBS โ€“ I suffer from that as well. I went to my daughters parents evening and could feel the griping pains and cramps in my stomach. What I normally do is take a medication if I am going out, to stop IBS for a few hours, that way I can go to the cinema with 2 of my kids, the eldest one is too old, lol and lives with his girlfriend. I personally have not used public transport for over a few decades, I like to get what I need, and get back home ASAP. My wife and I, prefer to shop online for most things, it is very rare I would go in to the centre of town.

I would certainly get a second opinion from another doctor though, and ask to see a Neurologist Consultant, I think youโ€™ll find there is more to your case than meets the eye. If you find that a Neurologist gives you a different diagnosis, then that can be either added to your current Application for DLA. If you get on with your current doctor then ask him/her to refer you to see a Neurologist, because your symptoms are more based on a neurologist problem than anything else.

The pain I wake up to every morning is to the extreme, and I am Tramadol (these are Class C) medication, and require you to sign twice on the back of prescription, on top of them I take 2 x Amitriptyline at night. Then on top of all them I have to have 5 x Botox Injections every 10 weeks, each time I go they up the dosage and lower the time period between each session. And all that is for pain, and every morning it can take up to 45-60 minutes just to get out of bed.

If you do lose the case for PIP, remember you have 28 days to submit an appeal โ€“ if you need extra time to gather up further information, they will grant this on occasions if you feel there should be more that you should have informed them about. If you can get a Consultant Neurologist on your side, note his name, he will be specialized in all neurological disorders and will probably give you a full body check, including any scans if he thinks they are relevant. His diagnosis would override any normal doctors input, so it would be of benefit to you in the long run.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Thanks les I'm going doctors tomorrow so I will ask her when I go I just feel like a lead weight all over my arms are heavy my hands hurt, my back can't take the lower back pain and I'm 49 Hunny this last 12 months it's took over my life ๐Ÿ’–
    • Posted

Hi les my fibro friend big upset today got letter off doctors results off my ct scan they have advised I go back for a MEI scan im so worried ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ and I got appointment Liverpool broad green Hospitail for CFS/ME things finally moving so scared that something really bad with me ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–
  • Posted

๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบthank you to all my fibro friends giving me advise on my medical les Steph Karen and anyone else who has helped me I need advise on how to write my dairy coz I Belive you need to take a dairy on how it effects your daily living not got a clue how to write it down im not good at things like this ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ฉ
  • Posted

Good morning to my fibro friends up early can't sleep lots of pain as usuall,went bed last night my skin burning horrible feeling, tension in my neck shoulders and my lower back its killing me ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.