pip claim. second time around

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have had pip for 2 years. It is due to finish next year but as with everyone else I have got my renewal 12 months before. I rushed to get my form filled in and get it back on time. They have now had it almost 6 weeks.

Today I received a text

Thanks for sending us your 'How your disability affects you' form. We may need you to attend a consultation with a health professional before we make our decision. We'll contact you again if we do. Please call us if any of the details you gave us have changed.

The last 6 weeks have made me feel even worse with my illness. And now I have got this I realise that it maybe 7 to 8 weeks at the earliest before I hear anything.

I rung DWP and the lady said that she had never seen this text before so I just have to wait!

Has anyone had this and not been for an assessment

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I've had the assessment and it's a joke, it's done by people at Atos who have No idea what there doing, just make sure u have answered all the questions and the someone with u, my assessor was just a nurse, he was a nice fella but boy did he stab me in the back, the report he did was total bull, and what was said and what happened in the assessment didn't relate too was happened there, just be careful, I was polite and wasn't rude too him, but because it cost me points, I was only 5 points away from the enhanced reward which was a joke, it's all about saving money and NOT about ur health. Just be careful with Atos they will f u over.

• Posted

Thank you. I am just such a mess at the moment. It's making me far worse . I can't concentrate on anything. Then when I got my text I literally was shaking and felt sick.

The last lady I had was a nurse and she was lovely. I can guarantee this won't be the case this time sad

• Posted

Hi Claire all exact the same as what I have just gone through even down to the timescales being 12 months earlier & the text message I had my assessment 3 weeks ago and today I didn't get my PIP I rang them and was told it will be paid but there was an overpayment a letter has been sent to me but not yet received as for my assessment I am still entitled to PIP but at what rare etc they won't say on the phone a letter has been sent about this as well.

• Posted

Hi Emma, I have just had exact same thing happen to me I had my second assessment and was due my normal PIP payment on Weds 5th oct, I never received it I rang them and was told due to a overpayment they had recalled the payment to sort it out, & that a letter had been sent confirming this & also a letter has been sent confirming my new entitlement which as I was on the highest rate for both I can only assume it's gone down ahhhhhhhhhh because of them mentioning this overpayment however the girl did state the overpayment was only by a very small amount so I have no idea what to think say or do......... I wander if anyone else has experienced this and how long did they wait to get there money that they were actually due paid back to them. This has completely taken its told on my health and I am so worried as to where I go from herre I cannot ring them again it costing me so much money in calls. I really appreciate any advice that anyone can offer me on this matter thank you

• Posted

Hi,

It is such a shame that the assessment reports appear to be out and out lies or misrepresentations.

As has been stated on this site previously, don't call anyone who represents the dwp in anyway as liars, or conman/woman.

They are only people doing their job, badly according to some, but a job none the less. A job I would not want for sure. If we believe all the negativity their supervisors are constantly telling them to fail claimants right or wrongly. On the other hand several posts point out that it is inevitable only negative posts get attention.

Thousands of claimants every month must be successful, or not?

Whatever, going to a mr or contacting dwp with complaints of lies or misconstruing will not be tolerated by the powers that be.

Mike.

• Posted

The last time I saw the figures just under 60% fail the assessment process for PIP.So that means that just over 40% get some level of award.
  • Posted

Hi les,

60/40 failure rate, I wonder how much of that is people on dla transferring over to pip.

It would be nice to think,dream, that the new ESA regs regarding reassessments would filter down to pip. Are there any figures regarding people over 65 now, getting dla, being successful with their claims for pip.

Mike

• Posted

New PIP claims

According to the latest figures released by the DWP  just 42% of new claims for PIP were successful.

DLA to PIP reassessment claims

The figures for DLA to PIP reassessments are much higher, but still following a downward trend.

In July 2015, 69% of reassessment claimants got an award of PIP. In June the figure was 71% and in May 73%.

​For those who are 65+ when they are transferred over to PIP there is no difference to those who are under 65.

By far the most likely reason for the continuing fall in success rates is that the DWP are continually issuing new guidance to assessors, encouraging them to interpret the law in a more and more restrictive manner so that fewer claimants get awards.

The Personal Independence Payment Assessment Guide has been updated three times, since it was first published in April 2013. Each time changes have been made which make it harder for claimants to score points.

No doubt this process will continue until the DWP are certain they have reached their stated goal of cutting the cost of disability benefits by 20%

• Posted

Hi les,

Thanks for the information. I wrote an email to the Director General of dwp moaning about constant shifting of goalposts and the way the dwp handle some claims etc.

Got a follow up email yesterday asking for my full name and address with full postcode and dob so that my queiry could be handled properly, I bottled it.

Bear, big stick and poking came to mind. If I start getting phone calls in the night or dla payments going adrift I will let you know.

Mike.

• Posted

I think that you were wise to back off.

?Back in the 80's the DWP accused me of conspiring/assisting person or persons to carry out benefit fraud under what was then the Theft Act. It was a complete load of rubbish. So I created one wholly mountain of sh*t and dumped it on their doorstep telling them that they had better be absolutely certain with evidence that I was in any way involved. If they carried on there would be consequences.that they might not like.

?Anyhow that problem grew and grew so I attacked it another way - sarcasm and inuendo. Told them to prove everything or I go to the press. Eventually after winding them up they brought the police in who carried out a search at 5am one morning of my home, car and office. Obviously.nothing was found.  Eventually they gave up, no apology was ever given - so my parting comment to the DWP investigator was that they had been looking in the wrong place all these months and i left it at that.

?Subsequently the DWP have made my life a living hell with the benefits that I started to claim in 1995.This has gone on right up until a few weeks ago. I now cannot cope any longer with the vindictiveness so the only option open to me now is not to claim.

So yes if you push their buttons and wind them up - they have a long memory!

• Posted

Update

I have now been informed that all of my information has been sent to ATOS

They will decide if I need to go to an assessment center or have a home visit.

And so the stress drags on

• Posted

Wonder if thier called ATOS as they dont give ATOS!
  • Posted

Finally I have an update. I now have to be assessed. And they are coming to my home. I feel sick and so anxious. It's taken 8 weeks and i don't have a date yet. It just feels like that are coming to look around my house and pick fault then take away anything I've been awarded 😕

• Posted

Hi Clare,

I have just received the same text and am feeling really anxious as well.Did they stop your existing payments while they are reassessing your claim?

I hope it goes well for you.

Anne

• Posted

I too had a home visit for an Attendance Allowance claim a few months back..

?I know that my dealings with the DWP are not the norm and would expect others in similar situations to have a much easier ride than I did.

?Anyhow, two assessors turned up. The older of the two sat with me at the dining table asking questions and trying to put words into my mouth as well as trying to get me to agree to what he was suggesting. The younger one stood up all of the time and wandered around the ground floor of the house looking out of the windows and taking note of the furnishings etc. Every while and again he would comment about how we keep our garden, how nice and expensive our car looks sat on the driveway at the back of the house, and making comments about the various items of art etc on display. He then noted the new house alarm system in the hallway and asked a few questions about it, how it works, cost etc.

?Then he asked if I would show him the upstairs bathroom. It was at this point that I had had enough - I told him that if he was that desperate for the toilet he can use the cloakroom by the front door. He declined and simply said that they now had enough information and would be in touch.

?I saw them to the front door, closed it and made myself a coffee before ringing my wife to come back from across the road where she had been with one of our daughters'.

?Surprise - the decision was that I was not entitled to AA as I didn't have enough or the right type of needs to qualify. 

• Posted

Hi.

Sorry ive only just seen that you replied to me. My payments are carrying on as my claim is meant to be until next year. I have had my home assessment this morning. I feel so anxious now as it is make it break for me with the position that I am in. I shut my business on the advise of several doctors and I've had to retrain. This pip is helping support me as i can't work as many hours . If they stop it now then I'm going to be in a nightmare.

The lady was very nice. She didn't ask to see my bathroom or any other rooms . I am now in 2 thoughts . Either she can see how bad i am and she's going to say that obviously there is no cure so that's why she didn't ask as much as I thought. Or she's just going to make up her own answers and leave me in dia straits . What stage are you at now Anne?

I hope that you are coping ok x

• Posted

My claim was supposed to be until next year as well and I will find it very difficult if I lose the money.I haven't heard anything since the first text which was 10 days ago.I have cancer and a poor prognosis and I think it is disgusting the way we are treated by the DWP.I have enough stress in my life.

I do hope your claim is successful Clare.I know exactly how anxious you must feel.

Anne

• Posted

Thank you Anne. That is very kind of you. I'm so Sorry to hear that you are so unwell. Its terrible. You shouldnt even have an assessment. I really hope you get your result very soon x

• Posted

Thank you Claire but unless you can prove you are very likely to die within 6 months it is difficult to get PIP even with advanced cancers.They interpret disability on how your illness affects you in a physical way focussing on activities and mobility.I have advanced cancer for which there is no cure,have had 3 debilitating major surgeries but they seem to think this has little effect.

Anyway at least until the review process is over I seem to be getting the PIP.

What a nightmare!

Do let me know how you get on Clare.I really hope it is good news and you can live without the unnecessary stress.

Anne

• Posted

Thank you very much Anne . I will let you know hopefully soon. You take care of yourself x
    • Posted

This is exactly what I have been saying elsewhere on this site – if you had anxiety or depression or any form of arthritis you stand a better chance of receiving a PIP award.

For any complex or life threatening condition you are more likely to have difficulties in getting any award.

The reason seems to be that the assessors find more difficulty in understanding the implications of these more serious & complex conditions – hence why they opt for the easy way out instead of seeking further evidence.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.