pip decision

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

I said i would update everyone that has followed by posts. Well here goes. It's not good and I'm a very distressed so excuse me if I ramble on.

I was due to have my renewal for PIP. I got informed that I was having a home assessment.

The lady seem pleasant enough but didn't give me much eye contact . She was too busy typing and wouldn't let me explain some things. When I asked about my condition she said she didn't know.

I am currently on standard care and higher mobility.

I am waiting on a decision but I have received my report.

She has only awarded me 4 points for mobility so I stand to loose all my money. My condition is life long with no improvement .

She has talked about my difficulties but then contradicted herself when scoring me.

Can I ring up and ask them to look into this before they make a decision

0 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Clare,whether it is the correct approach or not I completely understand you getting your MP involved.It is so stressful and not easy to wait patiently.I just hope your payment isn't stopped and things go back to normal for you.

Anne

• Posted

Thanks Anne. It's been very stressful. A lady at the dwp was annoyed that I had receive the report before my decision. She more or less said get everything ready for my M.R. and she couldn't believe I had the report already. She told me to get anything I could and send it in now. ( this lady was a decision maker)

• Posted

This doesn't really make any sense to me. You can't ask for an MR until you have the decision, which you haven't yet had.

• Posted

A decision maker have me a call. She said although there hasn't been a decision yet . By looking at the assessment she advised me to go get some more information and get advise how to do the M.R ready for when I get my letter. Not sure if she I ew something and wasn't saying but she told me to get prepared x

• Posted

I had taken my report down to a group that helps process claims on our behalf . They said that the report I have is really not filled in correctly and we need to get as much evidence in now. He also said they have caused distress by sending this out before my decision . So though I asked for a report the dwp should have sent it afterwards. So he has asked me to speak to my mo as well. The mp are just writing a letter explaining this and asking that while any decision is being made that they leave me with the car as my award is still supposed to be with me while next July. My mp has accepted how hard it is where i love to be without it and how much it would cost in taxis.

They have advised me that they are having to carry this out alot at the minute. So I've gone with their advise

• Posted

Hi, I have seen on this and other sites complaints from claimants that the assessors report is being sent out after the decision has been made and too late for it to be used in the MR process. This is the first time that I have seen someone complain that it was sent out too early!

Still you have the document now and will be in a much better position than most to be able to use it for the MR.

?As soon as a new decision is made it overwrites any previous decision.Hence even though your existing award shows as expiring in July it will cease when the new decision is made.

I would also mention that all 'timed' PIP awards are extended by the DWP for a period of 12 months when awarded.

?So in effect if you were given a 5 year award you would be reassessed at the 4 year marker. The award was really for 4 years but the DWP added on another 1 year to take into account the time it would take to re-assess you and that you would not be out of pocket until that new re-assessed decision is made.In a way you are having the benefit of an extension as your award should have finished in July of this year!

As regards keeping the car during the MR and appeal process, it would be very interesting to see if this happens as the whole shooting bang will erupt for everybody else who is in a similar position.

?I'm just trying to be practical and explain what could/might/will happen when the decision is made. I am certainly not having a go at you and I don't want you to be misled thinking that you are being given special status it just won't happen. 

• Posted

There's been many times since i joined this group that i have disagreed with what you've said Les, however at this time i agree with you. Although a decision still hasn't been made for Clare yet so there's still hope. If she does lose her car it does clearly state on the motability website that a car can't be given without an award of PIP enhanced mobility or DLA high rate mobility. I can't possibly see them allowing you to keep your car whilst you wait for the MR ( if you need to go for this) Indeed it's extremely sad when a person loses something they clearly rely on, if this does happen to you. With the assessment reports if a person asks for DWP to send out a copy of this, this is normally done as soon as the DWP recieve it. I've never heard of them waiting until a decision has been made. It's the claimants personal choice if they choose to ask for a copy of this before a decision has been made. Clare made the choice to ask for this report and it was sent to you. I know how stressful it is and fully understand since you've had the report how upset you are Clare. I'm certainly not getting at you either it's just all of this seems rather advanced since you haven't yet had the decision.

• Posted

It's only what I've been told by a decision maker that called me on Monday. She said she hasn't been assigned to my case but she was a decision maker

• Posted

I think you are doing all you can do Clare.I would do exactly the same in your situation particularly since that is the advice that experts have given.

Just sorry it hasn't been more straightforward for you.

• Posted

Thank you Anne. I have never been in this situation before. The man who is helping me is really confident that if and when this letter comes with what we are expecting them he can win the appeal. He said I have way too much evidence for them to argue with. Also he will argue the destress it has caused from sending the report without the decision. This is what he does everyday. Day in day out. My mp has also said they speak to the dwp on my behalf to put requests in. Then if they need to they will step in with letters to support me for appeal. They haven't out any pressure on the civil servants. They have made requests. Which I don't think is a bad thing. It's been going on long enough now. 5 month to get to this stage is way to long

• Posted

I agree that it is too long.I am glad that you have got what sounds like good help and support.
    • Posted

Thank you. The man I saw yesterday was really nice and very knowledgeable. He couldn't believe my report and said he was looking foward to fighting this for me. So I have all my faith in him. I will let you know how I get on. I understand it can take a while as my condition is complex and rate but they have just let it sit their on the pile and now they are trying to make a decision it's not as straight foward. The decision maker I spoke to this week said i should hear within a few days. It's been 5 days now so im expecting to hear any time. Then I have to take the letter to the group that's helping me . He will do what he has to do from there x

• Posted

As I have said above, Clare is not out of pocket even if it takes 12 months for the DWP to make a decision. What people assume isn't the whole picture. A 'timed' award is extended by 12 months by the DWP to take into account the re-assessment period.

?In Clare's case her award actually should have ceased in July this year. However the DWP are extended it for up to 12 months so that she does not lose out financially until the new decision is made.

• Posted

The way that is is opening up, someone somewhere is confused.

?The facts are that the decision has not been made so the current award continues until that decision is made.

?If the new decision is that Clare does not get awarded the Enhanced rate for Mobility then the car WILL go back after about 6 weeks.

?On the other hand, and if by some miracle Clare puts in a MR request AND that the award is then changed within that 6 week period then that becomes another new decison.If all of that happens it is highly likely that the car will stay with her.

?Given that MR's are taking many weeks if not months AND the decision was that she has lost her ERM but say 2/3 months down the line her MR is sucessful and she gets ERM back, the car would have gone back but she can then go and get another car - a new car.

?It's far too early to do anything. Clare will have to wait to see what the DWP decide and take it from there.I can see what she is trying to achieve - hang on to her car no matter what the decision is. At the end of the day Motability will want to be paid for the car she has. If the DWP decide that she isn't entitled to the Enhanced Rate Mobility then with all of the will in the world the DWP will not pay Motability anymore money - no money - no car! 

• Posted

I don't think you understand what I am saying. I know the facts that you keep trying to point out. And I'm not saying I'm special in the way that I have the right to keep the car.

The group that are helping me are trying to get ready for the M.R so that if and when it arises they can do it and maybe get an answer before the car goes back. If not I have asked for a price to buy the car as i can't afford to not have one. ( I don't want a new one as I paid a large deposit on this and it suits me . I find it easier than other cars that I've had) I am trying to make provisions for this as it's not just a few pound. And I don't want to be left around Christmas time when everywhere is shut so I cannot sort it out. I'm also due to go away in December so I don't want to miss anytime if my letter arrives then.

I understand what you are saying. And I'm not disagreeing. I'm just saying what I've been told by a DM . My local MP. And the group that is helping me. Like I said before I'm not here to argue with you and you keep saying the same things to me. I won't be posting anymore updates as all I get is people saying I'm wrong and everything in doing is wrong. I'm doing what i can to make sure I can.get to my clinics and work. If that means jumping in early. Then so be it

Thanks.

• Posted

Claire, I can sense your upset about what's going on regarding your claim, I also think that this is a forum and no matter what if you post on it then you will get lots of differing opinions, that's the nature of the beast, everyone on here will have gone through situations some like yours some not, but they have all dealt with the DWP and will all have a story to tell and it want always be a good outcome, no one gets a guarantee, I can see lots of answers but honestly don't think anyone doesn't want you to get the benefit just trying to soften the blow if you don't.

That's fine but no one can say for definite yet what will happen, well maybe those who make the decision of course, we would hope so, any way you and your advisers know best what help and advice they can give you, so every one I'm sure wishes you all the best and hope the outcome is to your advantage.

• Posted

Yes Alexandria, i was just trying to understand it all as nothing really made any sense. I certainly wasn't being nasty and i wish Clare as the best and really do hope the outcome is possitive of course.

• Posted

I know just what you mean, when new information appears on the site that non of us has heard before we question it, its human nature.

I don't know the answers either but like everyone else I do have my own personal opinions which are related to my own claim.

Which I must say was very straight forward.

What I would like to have clarified for me is the question of the Motability contract.

In my paperwork which I got two weeks ago it says that the car must be returned if my benefit stops.

So who knows the answer please.

I think we all need to know and also can we purchase the car direct or would we need to go and buy it from the auction which is where they send them

• Posted

You are allowed to purchase the car. It has to be at the RRP what a garage would sell at. No offers accepted. It has to be paid in full. Once you get your letter you can ring the mobility up. They will get you the price then. Not a day before as i have already asked. Then once the DWP send info to the mobility scheme you will have the car for 3 weeks. Again there is no room for discussion on this.

This is what i meant. I have asked everyone I can do I understand what is meant to happen but the help in getting have had the odd case wavered. I hope this helps

• Posted

Thank you its always good to know as I have paid a fair amount out to have a particular car with certain adaptation, probably as much as I could afford for a car and I hope that there doesn't come a time when I can no longer have it on Motability because we non of us know what's round the corner and I would love to think that I would one day walk again but that I could buy my car as she suits me and my condition.

Good to know

• Posted

I know how you feel. I paid a fair amount on mine too. So even if I went to a tribuneral and for another car the point is the we could loose the one that we have invested in. I'm hoping for a decent price but I've been quoted by my local garage and it could be more than I hoped. I have been talking very nicely to my dad which may lend me the money. I hope things go your way. I totally understand the upset and sorry this is causing. It's not just a car. It's one that helps you and the one you can manage x

• Posted

I agree, the way things are going no one knows, I have only been on pip about 2 weeks so in theory I'm OK for two years but things change so I'm prepared.

I hope yours gets sorted very soon and in your favour

• Posted

I do know that if someone's benefit does stop and they have the car, this car must be returned within 6 weeks of the date of the decision. As for purchasing the car, i have no idea. I agree it is a worry for all of us who have decided to take the car option.

• Posted

Thank you. I can say hand on my heart that is what happens with the car. I have checked. Checked and checked again. If you let them know as soon as you know they don't do anything. But then as DWP let them know it's 3 weeks. But it can take a couple of weeks for Dwp to inform mobility so it could be almost 6 weeks in total.

If I had known this I wouldn't have gone down this route. And if I'm successful again i won't be falling into the same trap. It's been far too destressing x

• Posted

Clare, I know what you mean by your last paragraph.

​I had a Motability car one that I too had paid quite a bit of money up front - this was in Novemeber 2011. In June 2013 when I knew that PIP had started and that I had just turned 65 I would have just one chance of going from DLA over to PIP. My heart told me to keep it and take a chance but my head told me that keeping the car was a risk as it was highly unlikely that I would get Enhanced Mobility only because I had a report that talked about 50 metres and the new limit was now 20 metres.So I sent the car back, got a proportion of my up front payment back and bought my own car. That way no matter what would happen they could not take my car off me.

• Posted

Yea I can see the scenario can be pretty bad and I'm not convinced yet that there is any real structure to the system, if there was it would be black and white, no deviations and we would all be singing from the same gym book or whatever the saying is

• Posted

Got to laugh hymn book, maybe should be gym book LOL
    • Posted

That's what I was planning on doing next year. When I thought my 3 year was up I was going to buy the car. Which Is why I put a large deposit down because I knew I wanted to buy it. This was even before i knew the whole farce of a system. I was new to it. Never had DLA. I didn't know they reassessed people. Nothing was explained. It was my doctor that told me to apply.

In hind sight if i had been told the whole proscess i would never have sold my other car. This one has been so much better for me so i am trying to raise the money to keep it. I. Nkt bothered aboyt having a new one evwry 3 year year. I just want one that is easier for me.

But its hard when nobody will tell me a figure of how much I neeed to raise until i get my letter. Once I get my letter I have less time to raise the money. This is why im panicing more. I'm doing my best to keep myself in the road for work. If I don't work in even worse off.

I don't get the £2000 payment that people get it they were on DLA and loose pip.

I only get a couple of hundred back on my deposit too. So nothing sustantial. Unfortunately it's this time of a year too that is costly and it's my son's birthday the best Christmas.

I'm back at the doctors This morning. She rung me Monday and wanted to see me today. So maybe she can help me feel a little better.

I have had alot of other stress at this time. Very upsetting news and some very hard things to sort out. This has just topped it off really.

So as much as people say I'm being premature. I have had to do what I can . I can only try and see what happens. I was willing to do anything that is recommended to me with how much I have going off at This moment in time.

This is why im trying to put things in place.

If I did keep my award while next year then that would be fine. I could buy the car from them and they could do what they like. I probably wouldn't even apply again for pip. It's not worth the stress. But for this year then i need it

• Posted

I now fully understand your motives and reasons for your actions.

?You can buy your car at anytime. You just tell Motability that you are going to hand the car back and want to buy it. The garage will give you a figure that is in line with what they would sell it for.

?Motability used to offer finance (hire purchase) to enable you to do this but that disappeared a few years back.

?To get an idea of what it would cost you you can do a search on 'Autotrader' for similar cars of a similar age, you can also do a search for a price on 'Parkers'.

• Posted

Thank you. I have done this and also contacted my local dealer. If it's at the lower and I could just scrape the money together with help from my family. If its higher and then i won't be able to. This is another reason I'm so up on the air with it all. But thank you

• Posted

Actually Le's the garages don't sell them, every car that's purchased by Motability and returned for whatever reason and whether its a week or 3 years it goes to auction but on checking you can contact Motability and purchase it direct from them for whatever it would fetch at said auction.

• Posted

In reality the cars are left with the dealer when returned. If you make it clear that you want to buy it Motability will tell you how much they want for the car. The car will remain with the dealer for the short time that it would take to get the money together to pay Motability.

?Yes they are sent to an auction, if you haven't told Motability that you want to buy it from them.

Otherwise you would have to find out which auction house the car is at and collect it from there. These auctions aren't local ones, the car could be hundreds of miles away.

• Posted

Most people decide that they want to buy the car whilst it is in their possession. The car is never returned - money changes hands and you keep the car on the drive.
    • Posted

It is handed into the dealer for them to do the good condition check ( if that is before the 3 year) which then you would receive £250 back. If it's after 3 year you would have someone to collect. Whether it be the dealer or someone from motability. They also do the check which is a good condition check ( but under a different name if its before the 3 year) . The dealer told me that they never but then from motability as they wouldnt pay full price. So they go to the auctions. And thats how they make their money. A salesman in my local garage who I have become to know quite well had given me the advise. He deals with motability. Hes alsi given me advise on what i should pay and what not to pay of motability ask too much. He's the one that will help me of I need to find another car of the worst is to happen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.