Pip questioner

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi.. I recently received a letter from dwp stating my dla was stopping and i needed to make a claim for pip, wating for appointment with cab to help fill them in. In the meantime I have had a look through the forms and it says i should forward any xray /scans etc, i contatced my gp, s surgery requesting the ubove but was told there was no need for me to have them as dwp would request them if they need them.. Should i insist that gp give me copies or will dwp rquest them do you think. I have also had cortisone injections etc but dont have proof. Do the dwp automatically request medical records as i have very little evidence in writing myself.

Thanks

appointment with cab to fill them in. In the meantime i have had a look t

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kim,

No, it's rare for DWP or the assessment providers to ask any medical professional for any evidence, the onus is on the claimant to provide the evidence. Some GP's will refuse or charge for any letters they write. Your GP should refuse your medical records though as you're within your rights to request them, there may also be a charge for this.

• Posted

mmmm. forms do state not to wait for dr reports etc, as it may delay the claim.and they wont need hospital appointment letters..they did ask me over the phone in my initial call to them if I agreed to them accessing my medical records.
    • Posted

Speaking from a lot of experience with PIP and ESA claims they very rarely ask anyone for evidence. There's a list of evidence they accept with the form you had.  It's your choice whether youu take this chance but your chances of success if you don't send it is much less.

• Posted

ok...just rang gp again and have been informed it may take upto 40from request to actually getting them.
    • Posted

Types of evidence needed is how your condition affects you daily. If you can get evidence to prove those descriptors apply to you then even better. For example, a diary written by yourself, Consultant reports, Occupational therapist reports, letter from someone that knows you well, up to date list of all current medication, any of this alongside the scans etc.
    • Posted

When I rang the doctors and requested a copy of my medical records it only took 2 days.  Cost me £50. cool

• Posted

Will ring them again tomorrow how lo g did your records go back please.
    • Posted

Hi Kim,

as others have stated, PIP is not about the problems you have, it is about the way the condition affects you.  Don't give yes or no answers,  when I did mine, I sent in a seperate sheet of paper for each question and going into great detail.  If you need help with getting dressed / undressed, say why and explain what would happen if you tried to do things without help.  If you are unsteady on your feet and at risk of falling, or to bend to put on socks, shoes etc causes you pain and a chance of falling, then say so.   If you are a danger to yourself when preparing a meal, using a knife for example or lifting heavy pans, then say why you are at risk etc.  

As Denise  said, a diary by yourself about your daily struggles will be a big help in filling out the forms.

We often don't want to admit even to ourselves how bad things are, but you have to get it over to the DWP,  I know I repeated myself several times.  I am unable to grip a pen or type for very long, so a friend typed everything for me, using my words.  Good luck and please come back with any questions and to let us know how it goes. smile

• Posted

My medical records went back 68 years.  Even had my first inoculations. Best £50 I ever spent. Made interesting reading.  eek

• Posted

Wow... Bet there was stuff on there you didnt even know, must have taken hrs for you to sort out the relevant stuff... Going to ring gp again tomorrow. Kim
  • Posted

Hi Kim

The DWP will not request them from your doctor.

You will need to provide all the details of your medication your part of the prescription repeat form will be enough for that. Attending appointments i.e. letter etc are not really relevant.

PIP is all about how your illness/disability effect your daily life not what the condition/s are- this totally different to the measure for getting DLA.

The CAN will help you they are usually very good. You need to make sure you give as much information on the form about how you are effected e.g. bathing,dressing, preparing good etc.

Have a look at the PIP self test on line to see how you score yourself.

Take care

Wendy x

• Posted

Haha wendy, done the self test and got enhanceded rate for both... Got copy of repeat script. Will give gp another ring tomorrow and request records
    • Posted

please bear in mind that the PIP self test is just a guide to what you could score. Those points will totally depend on the evidence you send to support your claim.
  • Posted

Yes i, m more than aware of that Denise having gone through lots of f2f assessments before thats why i put haha. Kim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.