PIP SUCCESS

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

I thought I would post about my experience claiming PIP and hope it will help some people. I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia which has totally changed my life. I have always been fit and healthy until 2 years. Without boring you all with the details, I have struggled with coming to terms with my conditions and knowing that my life will never be the same again. I work 25 hours a week but now I'm struggling to do this. It's the only bit of independence I have left as I need to rely on my husband and daughter to help me with every other aspect of my life. My friend suggested to apply for PIP. I looked into this and decided to apply. The whole process for me took 14 weeks. I was brutally honest on my application form and my assessment. I honestly didn't expect to receive anything. Last week I received the decision and I have been awarded enhanced rate daily living but no mobility. I really should be delighted but I can't help feeling that this proves I have disabilities and this is what I'm struggling with mentally. I just wanted to let people know my experience and help in any way I can for those dealing with this process.

2 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thanks for posting your story Millie as l am sure many of us can totally understand your experiences totally on many many levels in regards to PIP and your illnesses and how it affects you so badly now..
    • Posted

Thanks belgravia. I have been reading all the comments on here for the past few months regarding the pip process and found a lot of useful information. It is extremely stressful and nerve racking!
  • Posted

Hello that's fantastic news my mum is ill with fibromyalgia and loads of other illnesses I have seen a massive change in my mum s health etc but that's fantastic news for you even though it does not change fact you still have it God bless

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Morag. I hope ur mum is ok. I have seen a big difference in myself over the past year both physically and mentally. Thank you x
  • Posted

Hi Millie  thanks for posting, very interesting as i have M.E. which gives me the fibromyalgia  and hubby has rheumatoid arthritis. He had his results this morning, like you never expected to get anything at all but got standard rate  for daily living and standard rate for mobility. Thankfully never had a mobility car any way so just as well as would be having to return it.  Wont be challenging the outcome as he is lucky to get what he has i think. Has a very nice and obviously honest assesser and a fair DWP person as many get nothing at all. 

Sue 

• Posted

Oh and he missed out on enhanced rate of mobility by 2 points!  question about weather he attended alone, he did, bad mistake but it was said he drove himselfe there, he never, our son took him there. Strange one as our son also lost out on 2 points and with him it was said he drove himselfe there when a friend drove him too! 
    • Posted

Hi Susan, thanks for the reply. I was lucky enough to have a good accesser and the assessment went well but with all the horror stories I read, I didn't know what to think! Like your husband, I won't be challenging the decision either as I don't think I could handle any more stress. It must be very hard for you and your family with the conditions you have. Take care x

• Posted

I also missed on on Enhanced mobility the first time i applied by 2 points. Decided against the MR as didn't need the extra stress. Waited until review and told them my mobility had got worse. Went for another assessment an was award Enhanced mobility. At the time i thought the same as you "at least i got something" Great news for you and your hubby smile

• Posted

Hi Denise, thanks for the reply. I am in the exact same situation u were in. Don't need the added stress. My hubby is delighted and now wants me to reduce more hours at work. He sees the pain I am in every morning and night before and after work. I am not mentally ready to reduce hours yet as I feel work is the only piece of independence I have left of my "old" life. Well done on your review!

• Posted

Hi Millie, like you been reading so many horror stories which is why we thought he would get nothing at all. It wasnt till yesterday evening that we saw the added notes which were written on the back of the reply letter that we realised he missed out on keeping his road tax by 2 points. As you say more stress which we could both do without. in challenging their decision. Hubby said if it meant him losing a mobility car though for the sake of 2 points he probably would have challenged it maybe.  Take care too x
    • Posted

Hi Denise, it seems many are losing out on 2 points of getting the enhanced mobility, strange that!  A good idea i think, wait till the time this one runs out and then by then he probably will be worse.. so state he has got worse in the next review. As i said to Millie Hubby said if it meant him losing a mobility car though for the sake of 2 points he probably would have challenged it maybe. As it stands  we still have a car, just lost the free road tax but daughter in law told us last night that if you get the standard rate of Mobility one can still get their road tax halfed. So we printed out the appropiate forms and he will be applying for this. All helps. Wonder if i will be as lucky with applying for PIP myself, still waiting for my brown envelope!  Nice to read some positive stories isnt.  Take care x 
    • Posted

The experiences that other people have went through applying for pip are disgraceful. I think we are some of the lucky ones to be awarded something. Also read previously that you could lose your award if you appeal the decision. It's definitely not worth the added stress x

• Posted

No it isnt worth risking losing what we got by appealing the decision  i agree. Did you get standard on care and mobilty or just one of them may i ask? x
    • Posted

I got enhanced daily care but nothing for mobility.
    • Posted

Hi Susan, if he scored 10 points in the "moving around part" he's get 50% reducation in road tax and a Blue Badge.

• Posted

Oh we found out about the 50% reduction in road tax but never knew about the blue badge!  Thanks for that .Yes he got 10 points.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.