PIP SUCCESS

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

I thought I would post about my experience claiming PIP and hope it will help some people. I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia which has totally changed my life. I have always been fit and healthy until 2 years. Without boring you all with the details, I have struggled with coming to terms with my conditions and knowing that my life will never be the same again. I work 25 hours a week but now I'm struggling to do this. It's the only bit of independence I have left as I need to rely on my husband and daughter to help me with every other aspect of my life. My friend suggested to apply for PIP. I looked into this and decided to apply. The whole process for me took 14 weeks. I was brutally honest on my application form and my assessment. I honestly didn't expect to receive anything. Last week I received the decision and I have been awarded enhanced rate daily living but no mobility. I really should be delighted but I can't help feeling that this proves I have disabilities and this is what I'm struggling with mentally. I just wanted to let people know my experience and help in any way I can for those dealing with this process.

2 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Excellent result, so pleased for you! Hopefully you don't feel as stressed now the process is over, always nice to hear a success story! 

• Posted

Hi Louby, thank you. I definitely don't feel as stressed now! I didn't realise what I was letting myself in for when I first applied for pip. I always tried to put it to the back of my mind but that didn't last long!

• Posted

I am now facing a possible reassessment as it ends in June. I am in two minds. I too started work in December part time mainly so I could be independent so came off the support group ESA which was  a big decision . I have had Fibromyalgia for over ten years and had shoulder surgery a year ago. I still have all the pain, lack of sleep, restless leg syndrome but cannot face whether or not I get a compassionate assessor. I had to take PIPS to  tribunal stage and won. But not sure I can go through all that horrific stress again. 
    • Posted

Hi Poll thanks for your reply. The assesser I had was very sympathetic to my conditions. I explained to her my job and how I get great support at work. I also told her that it was the only piece of independence I have left. She told me straight away that pip isn't means tested and not to worry about my employment. I also told her that I had to reduce my hours from 37 hours to 25 hours as there was no way I could manage working full time and that I am now struggling to do 25 hours. I hope you get a compassionate assesser. I was diagnosed with RA 2 years ago, I was only recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia in January. To be honest I am still trying to find out as much as I can about fibromyalgia as I had never heard of it until I was diagnosed. I had been blaming the RA for all my pain and symptoms now I am so confused as I don't know what is causing what! Good luck in your reassessment x

• Posted

Hi Pollmadoll64  I can well understand the horrific  stress you must have gone through to to take to tribunal stage, Although my hubbys assessor was a lovely young women she did wrongly state hubby could walk more than 20 yards without any difficulty and he drove him selfe there, bith of which were untrue. Unless it was the DWP who came to this conclusion wrongly i dont know. This is probaly why he ended up 2 points less   so ended up with the standard rate but as we have our own car and not the mobility car  it wasnt such a blow so wont be challenging it.  With you did you end up with the enhanced rate or standard after taking them to tribunal?  
    • Posted

The total unfair part of this was I was awarded 16 points a year before they reassessed me. Due to having a compassionate honest assessor who came over to my house. Initially I was awarded PIPS enhanced rate for a year and a half before I had shoulder  surgery but frozen shoulder and Fibromyalgia . The other dishonest assessor basically lied  at my reassessmment about many things which I had to take to tribunal. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw a copy of her report. Due to this I was only awarded 7 points. This was the day I was awarded support groupon ESA  after fighting for my ESA to be reinstated two days after my shoulder surgery. Due to a clerical error they took my ESA off me . After talking to fifty different people at DWP and sending 360 pieces of paper 6 tImes the 30 pieces of documentary evidence that was lost only the one set of 30 got through!!!,, I got three letters of apology from the DWP once my MP GP and Surgeon were involved meanwhile I had two young sons to feed and keep warm as. A single mother!! So I had both ESA and PIPS taken from me it was an utter nightmare not knowing if I would win my fight but I persevered and had to basically become a lawyer overnight!!
    • Posted

It would have been the "he can walk more than 20 yards that lost him the Enhanced part. I had the same with mine and it was clearly stated i could walk more then 20 yards. Certainly wasn't true but the thought of losing everything i had at the time just wasn't worth the risk. Now i have a mobility car i don't know what i'd do without it. My review is in 3 years time, so i'll think of that what the time comes. I have fibromyalgia and many other conditions. Getting the evidence is always and will always be an issue.

• Posted

Yes Denise your right but we wrote on form 15 yards with severe pain and he was dropped right outside the building as well. Son couldnt go in with him as he had to drop of his dad and find a place to park. So  you got the enhanced rate hence a  mobility car as well.  Oh good for you. 
    • Posted

That must have been a terrible ordeal for you pollmadoll as well as raising 2 young kids on your own as well. I hope and pray your next review isn't as stressful as your last one x

• Posted

The assesser asked me how many minutes I could walk for. I answered 5-10 mins at my own pace as I can't walk fast due to damage on my feet caused by RA. This is where I have failed on mobility. I also explained I used to power walk all the time and now struggle to walk far distances due to pain and lack of energy. The only evidence I had was letters from employer, occupational health and a letter from rheumatology stating my diagnosed conditions. I also took all my medication with me and appointment letters to prove how often I'm at rheumatology.

• Posted

I went alone to both my assessments but was taken by a friend. It's hard to know if that went against me at the time and also for your hubby. It's more on the criteria and them not thinking it applies more than anything. Of course you can ask for the MR but you do risk losing everything by doing this. Most MR's remain the same but 65% of Appeal Tribunals are successful. It's a long process too.

• Posted

OMG how utterly awfull for you, what a total unfair nightmare to say the least,. They should have given you compenasation as well. How could the other assessor  give you only 7 points and lie like that and after having surgery as well too. How on earth did you survive. How long you got it for this time?

Sue 

• Posted

I'm quite happy with the decision, I wasn't expecting to get anything and I don't want to risk losing my award. I wouldn't be able to handle the stress of it all again! My hubby came with me and we were lucky enough to get a parking space right next to the building. I am just so glad it's over with. My heart goes out to everyone who has really bad experiences with the process.

• Posted

Denise he wont be bothering to ask for a MR  as he is under no consultant, when our son rang up and said the assessor lied on two counts with him all he was told was well take it to court then!  Theres clearly something wrong when two different assessors can come up with totaly different out comes, especially when the claimant is clearly worse than before as well.  As you say along proccess, no thanks. 
    • Posted

Millie how can you fail on mobilty whent the RA clearly affects your feet! 5-10 mins though in pain, i dont get it! You say only evidence you had being employer, occupational health worket and letters from rheumatology, thats quite a good few,   More than what hubby had so its a miracle he ended up with the standard rate of both.His paperwork and last rheumatology consulatant was many yeras ago. I think what helped is he found original paperwork stating what damge there was to his back back then and could name the consultants he saw. Also he is taken a lot of medication, un like me no meds, and under no one. Hope when its my turn i can find the original letter stating i was diagnised with M.E. that was like 19 years ago, doubt i kept it, silly me. 
    • Posted

Sorry it's took so long to reply, I was so tired yesterday. I failed because I said I could walk for 5-10 mins, I did explain that it was at my own pace as my feet are always sore. I only had one letter from rheumatologist stating what I have been diagnosed with. There was nothing else on the letter. I don't want to rock the boat by asking for a MR incase I lose the award altogether. It's not worth the added stress either. I've took Denise's advice on board and just going to wait til the review. When is your review Sue? X

• Posted

Millie i have no review, im still getting the DLA at the moment, im expecting the dreaded letter to apply for PIP any day now. Its my hubby who got the standard rate for both going from DLA to PIP.  That was a trick question to ask you how long you can walk for as it could be a brisk 5 minute walk or a slow struggling one. Like you hubby isnt going to rock the boat asking for a MR incase he loses what he has been awarded.  But he clearly was the 2 points short he needed to get the enhanced rate due to 2 questions not having the accurate answers he said.  He failed to get the enhanced rate because the assessor said he got him self their which was totaly untrue and another one, i cant record right now what it was but it was enough to lose them 2 points he needed. x x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.