PIP tribunal hearing next month for anxiety and depression- any advice as I'm scared?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have a PIP tribunal hearing next month for anxiety and depression- any advice as I'm scared?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sweepie

Approach the Tribunal from this angle. They need to build a mental picture of how your daily life is affected by your mental illness.

There are specific descriptors which deal with MH illness and those are the ones you should concentrate on. Generally we are talking about Supervision/Prompting and Assistance with a range of daily activities from cooking, washing, dressing, monitoring a health condition, toilet needs, social interaction, communication and budgeting.

Explain your difficulties and why getting help is required. Remember it is not enough to simply say 'I suffer with depression'.

Opposite to some advice already given I would definitely take someone with you for support as the Tribunal would expect this.

• Posted

Been exactly where you are earlier this year with stress depression and people anxiety

They are kind at the tribunal, but i took my Mum my husband and a chap from CAB with me who were all aloud in, I would suggest you have similar support.

Family to give details if needed, and CAB or similar to watch the rules are followed.

I would say if a question seems to be a trip say not sure and get your supporters to answer.

At thetribunal I got basic level  on mobility and was 2 points short of higher level with higher level on the other section. Initially i only got 4 and 2points on both sections  from assessor.

Be brave , be polite and take plenty of support

good luckxx

• Posted

A good suggestion, but you were thankfully one of the few that could get professional representation at the Tribunal.

I am so surprised that the CAB are still attending in person to represent.

The last and only time that I went, the hearing was set down for a half day.

I had no professional support nor did I have any moral support.

I had to deal with the case on the basis that I was a professional advisor. I was expected to understand the law, regulations and case law that related to my appeal.

To say that I spent many nights reading up on the judges directions/decisions on previous cases.

Over 4 hours of battling without a break saw me utterly drained. I decided there and then that I would never go to another Tribunal although I did win my one and only one.  

• Posted

Les 

I simpathise , I started out doing the app myself embarassed to tell anybody how bad my condition was getting hiding and avoiding symptoms.

I then needed to request a reconsideration ad let husbad in, My Mother eventually became aware and got CAB advice.

I have said many times that this sistem is rubbish and no way could anybody with out a medium to relativly high IQ and family support ever manage to get PIP with any form of stress , phobia or metal illness. But then treatment is equally hard to get in this sector !

Bangs head against brick wall 

I was awarded three years PIP back dated to application date at the tribunal in May 2016 which lasts until january 2017 . Yes those dates are correct i initially applied in 2014. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply- I will take a support person with me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.