Pirad 4 in prostate MRI

Posted , 8 users are following.

so my husband had an mri which showed several benign nodulesand then 1 tumor in pariphreal area of prostate. he sees dr. next week to talk about biopsy. OF COURSE we r nervous ( me esp. for him) pirad 4 is what showed. IF AFTER Biopsy this is proven to b cancer, what would next step likely be? IM worrying myself sick...

thank you

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I had virtually the same diagnosis about 3 months ago.

I then had a regular biopsy where they stick 12 needles and it came back no cancer - I then learnt those biopsy's are random and often miss cancer. I then asked for an "MRI guided biopsy" which is a biopsy directly into the tumor. That biopsy confirmed cancer. I am now going for surgery and have been told there is a 98% likeliness that will cure it - so don't worry.

Make sure you discuss an MRI Guided Biopsy directly into the tumour as that is the only way to know for sure what grade he has.

You can't decide on the best treatment until you know what stage the cancer is at.

Also talk to others locally who've had it and see what they did as it a very common cancer these days and I found lots of friends had been treated.

Best of luck.

Regards

Damon

• Posted

hi Damon

I wish you the best of luck

surgery is not for everybody I hope you weighed out all your side effects

thing depend on age and how you feel physically

hope all goes well

Henry C

• Posted

HI patty

You have to weigh alot out with this

you never mention how old your husband is or health wise

there are a lot of factors out there so do your research out there

I wish you the best of luck

Henry C

• Posted

my husband is 61 and his dad has prostate cancer years ago. my husband has also been thru double bypass surgery about 2 years ago_ also something his dad had!

• Posted

please do not worry the biopsy is uncomfortable but i was diagnosed with prostate cancer 12 years ago i had bracytherapy and radio therapy it also returned twice an once it spread to my glands but with treatment and medication i am still able to get on with life if at slower pace and more tired my PSA is down to 0.11

• Posted

thank you. just curious how you chose those treatments and how bad were side effects?

• Posted

Patty please be aware of the effect that the treatments can have on your husband's ability in the bedroom. Whilst not dieing is obviously top of both of your concerns at this time you need to consider really carefully the long term possible side effects. I had treatment three years ago and so far my PSA reading is almost zero.

Best of good luck for your husband. Richard

• Posted

no idea what treatment is best. but absolutely my main concern is HIS health. thank you

• Posted

My brother was diagnosed with prostate cancer recently although he had no symptoms. He decided to go for the complete removal of the prostate. He said the best thing was his surgeon actually said "I can cure you".

• Posted

I hope his surgeon will employ nerve sparing surgery but even this does not guarantee that there will be no downsides as many have subsequently found.

When I found that I had PC my first reaction was to get rid of the prostrate but further discussions resulted in a different approach. Everyone is different so it is best to discuss this with the people looking after you ans if uncertain ask for a second and third opinion. Also do check,out the Cancer UK site for lots of useful help. Cheers, Richard

• Posted

My brother just wanted to get rid of the cancer. His wife died of bowel cancer at 52 years old. There was a problem with a nerve as the cancer was high up near the end, he did know this in advance. He had the Da Vinci machine to help with the op.

• Posted

Many guys have the attitude to just get rid of the PCa.

But this is not the scientific way to look at the issue.

A friend of mine was diagnosed with a Gleason 6 and had his prostate

removed. he wanted no cancer in him.

He is now having side effects he need not have because statistically a Gleason 6 has little chance of killing him in the long term and almost no chance of doing so in the short term,

• Posted

I completely agree with you. My first reaction was to get as much distance as possible from the cancer but after lengthy discussions I decided against surgery and went the hormone and RT route. There are downsides to all treatments and very careful consideration needs to be given! Cheers, Richard

• Posted

I don't think you can criticise your friend. You don't know what could have happened if he did not go down the path that he decided upon. Statistically he may have been very unlikely to have problems but nothing is 100%.

• Posted

You are correct. Nothing is 100%. If he were young ie <55 I would agree with you. However he was Dx'd at 68 with a Gleason 6.

• Posted

You said it: downsides to all treatments. I have had ALL of them and can say that the combination of side effects from surgery+RT+ADT + treatments for other illnesses result in a heck of a lot of downsides which are made up if one's life is lengthened.

Time will tell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.