Pirad 4 in prostate MRI

Posted , 8 users are following.

so my husband had an mri which showed several benign nodulesand then 1 tumor in pariphreal area of prostate. he sees dr. next week to talk about biopsy. OF COURSE we r nervous ( me esp. for him) pirad 4 is what showed. IF AFTER Biopsy this is proven to b cancer, what would next step likely be? IM worrying myself sick...

thank you

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a MRI a couple of years ago and it showed a Pirads 4 lesion. Still have not gotten around to a biopsy and doubt I ever will. I'm content to watch and wait until, if ever, I become symptomatic.

I think how an individual is "wired" plays a big role in the choice of treatment. For some the thought that cancer may be growing in their body is so disturbing that they just want it out side effects be damned at the other end of the spectrum are people like me who view quality of life as paramount and are willing to possible sacrifice quantity of life to preserve ones present quality of life.

In the end this is a individual decision that, as much as you care, is your husbands alone. Good luck to you and your husband....

• Posted

1. The key is to have the mri read by a radiologist experienced in reading prostate scans. A "generalist" radiologist who reads all parts of the body is not what you need;
    2. A PIRADs 4 is what I had. The scale goes to 5. "4" means that the likelihood of cancer is significant;
    3. If an experienced prostate radiologist reported in the mri then a biopsy should be considered. I recommend what I had: mri guided biospy that targets the tumor in the prostate and doesn't fire needles randomly and that the mri be transperineal and not trans rectal as the former has shown to lead to LESS infections.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.