Pityriasis Rosea - started to clear after 3 weeks

Posted , 21 users are following.

If you are reading this then you probably have PR.

I too am suffering from this nasty rash. I first noticed the herald patch on my collar bone and initially thought it looked like ring worm. A few days later the rash had spread to my upper chest and was driving me crazy with the itch which was burning and stinging. I've had chicken pox as an adult and this rash was so much worse! When it spread to my legs, back and arms I went to the GP who diagnosed PR. I had never heard of it so started looking up blogs for help as GP said there was no real cure and it could take up to 12 weeks to disappear.  I followed every hint and tip I could find from fellow sufferers and thankfully after 3 weeks it seems to be going. I still have the rash on my arms and legs - the itch is bearable.  I don't know exactly what seems to be working but hopefully it is definitely on the way out.  My regime is: luke warm shower twice a day washing with head and shoulders then moisturise with Aveeno lotion. The GP prescribed two weeks of antibiotics which he said seems to work for 70% of people - I'm still taking along with antihistamines. I'm also taking Vitamin C and zinc supplements to try to boost my immune system.  The most significant difference I noticed was after a sunbed session. I'm not an advocate of sunbeds but being desperate to rid myself of this nasty rash I was prepared to try anything. The rash seemed worse straight after the session but after my third session all the spots on my torso disappeared the next day. I was amazed as I was completely covered in spots. These are flaking now.  As I said earlier I still have spots on my arms and legs so I will have one more session at the sunbed in the hope that I get rid of this once and for all.  Incidently when I mentioned the sunbeds to my GP he said that although there is no real cure there is evidence to suggest that UV light, natural or not, can speed up recovery. I don't usually contribute to blogs but I felt I had to share my regime in the hope that my experience helps a fellow sufferer. Good luck! 

_ 0 votes F Report g Share < reply>

6 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Do you know which kind of antibiotic you were given?
    • Posted

Sorry for late reply regina...I've not been on fot a while. The antibiotics were erthromycin. It's worth a try but honestly don't know which part of my regime worked. I hope you've had some relief from this nasty rash. Take care.

• Posted

Antibiotics are for bacterial infections, and the research has shown that PR is not a bacterial infection.Wish it was!!!!! That would be easy to get rid of.
  • Posted

I have the same problem and i have sun tan also. On thesun tanning  skin i used dermalmd skin lighten serum.i got amazing result.Genuine Item as described. Satisfied with it
    • Posted

You used the serum to lighten your skin? Not to treat the PR though, or did it?
  • Posted

Hi there. I'm from australia and in my city, sun beds are banned - they have been for a number of years after a number of skin cancer deaths. Do you think a UV light that can be purchased from a hardware store would work (like the ones used to kill bugs)? Do you know if it is UVA or UVB that's needed?

• Posted

Hello Karen do you remember if you used a sunbed cream when using the sunbeds? Or did you just go in with clean dry skin?

Thanks in advance.

• Posted

Hi Karen sorry to bother you, I know it's been 3 years for you. But did you you any creams when using the sunbed? Or just clean dry skin? I have this horrible rash and would like to give sunbed a go. W x

• Posted

I live in south Texas, and work outdoors painting houses. Is that close enough to a tanning bed? I still had PR for 14 months. Yes, it was on areas where the sun shone ad it did not help in the least.
  • Posted

Hi, I was wondering how often and long you went in the tanning beds 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.