Pityriasis Rosea - started to clear after 3 weeks

Posted , 21 users are following.

If you are reading this then you probably have PR.

I too am suffering from this nasty rash. I first noticed the herald patch on my collar bone and initially thought it looked like ring worm. A few days later the rash had spread to my upper chest and was driving me crazy with the itch which was burning and stinging. I've had chicken pox as an adult and this rash was so much worse! When it spread to my legs, back and arms I went to the GP who diagnosed PR. I had never heard of it so started looking up blogs for help as GP said there was no real cure and it could take up to 12 weeks to disappear.  I followed every hint and tip I could find from fellow sufferers and thankfully after 3 weeks it seems to be going. I still have the rash on my arms and legs - the itch is bearable.  I don't know exactly what seems to be working but hopefully it is definitely on the way out.  My regime is: luke warm shower twice a day washing with head and shoulders then moisturise with Aveeno lotion. The GP prescribed two weeks of antibiotics which he said seems to work for 70% of people - I'm still taking along with antihistamines. I'm also taking Vitamin C and zinc supplements to try to boost my immune system.  The most significant difference I noticed was after a sunbed session. I'm not an advocate of sunbeds but being desperate to rid myself of this nasty rash I was prepared to try anything. The rash seemed worse straight after the session but after my third session all the spots on my torso disappeared the next day. I was amazed as I was completely covered in spots. These are flaking now.  As I said earlier I still have spots on my arms and legs so I will have one more session at the sunbed in the hope that I get rid of this once and for all.  Incidently when I mentioned the sunbeds to my GP he said that although there is no real cure there is evidence to suggest that UV light, natural or not, can speed up recovery. I don't usually contribute to blogs but I felt I had to share my regime in the hope that my experience helps a fellow sufferer. Good luck! 

_ 0 votes F Report g Share < reply>

6 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi i have also had this horrible rash and its cleared now just before xmas - i still have a small what i think is a herald patch that is still there. has anyone esle still got a patch.

also i have read the artiles that people have used head a shoulders, is this the same stuff that you can buy for your hair? im in the uk and confused as to whetger thuis is what everyone is talking about?

thanks

• Posted

Yes, it's Head and Shoulders shampoo.  Mine has completely cleared up now with no herald patch
  • Posted

Firstly, thanks karen for this post! 

I had a weird spot (only 1cm big) appear on my stomach, which I ignored. About 2 weeks later I started getting little red bumps all over my body. I went to a GP when I had about 20, and they (mis)diagnosed me as having molluscum... Another viral rash that lasts anywhere from 12 months to 5 years!!

Anyway I sat at home very upset, covering up my whole body whenevr I left the house. Each night I would cover myself in Sudocrem as I thought it would help. It did dry the spots out a bit however I noticed within a week that the rash had gotten worse (40 spots per arm, leg, stomach, couldnt count my back!) which was uncommon in molluscum (thanks google).

I went back to the GP and she said that it was actually PR. Which I was relieved to hear as that is the better of the two rashes. She gave me some hydrocortisone cream (although my spots werent itchy) and the cream didnt make much of a difference. 

Ive had this rash for 6 weeks total now and I only started noticing a substantial improvement after using the sunbed! I read this post and went straight to the tanning salon. I went on the first day for 4 minutes on Monday, then again for 6 minutes on Wednesday. Immediately after tanning the spots go red and look worse (but dont get a fright!) and the next day the redness is gone and the patches are dryer and closer to the colour of my skin. Can barely notice it!

Sorry for long post but thought Id share my story and help others like karen did!

• Posted

I'm going to try sunbeds. The itching is insane!!!

• Posted

Hi l98622...I'm so glad this worked for you. It's 3 years since I had PR and wouldn't hesitate to go back to a tanning salon should it re-occur. Hope you are totally cleared up now. Take care.

• Posted

Hi Karen, I hope you or others are still active on this thread.

And another case of Pityriasis Rosea.. (London, UK)

Herald patch appeared on my back on Sunday 4 Sept, by Sunday 17 Sept, the breakout had happened over my stomach -chiefly-, on my inner elbows, on my inner arms near my armpits, on my chest, on my back, and around my neck. 

Using antihistamine & an emollient, the first few days of the week commencing 18 Sep showed a slow-down in new patches, only 2 days ago (that's 3 weeks post-herald patch), more and more rash is appearing on my breasts, neck -up to my chin, stomach, bikini line, and thighs. A few have also appeared on my calves this morning. 

The weird part is that the new breakout is not completely in line with the previous shape of wide, oval pink/brown patches but it's, mostly, in the form of spots (like pin-head spots) and they are everywhere, as mentioned. Anyone else can report something similar?

Re. Head & Shoulder, do people use it as a shower gel under the running water, or am I supposed to keep it on my body for 5 minutes and then rinse?

Is this routine supposed to happen more than once a day?

Yesterday (24 Sept), since the itch and -above all- burning has worsened, I started applying a lavender massage oil (Bochéry Nature, Greek brand) on my body and used some on the sole of my feet just now (since soles are highly absorbent). Not sure how useful this will be but I read that lavender has anti-viral qualities. The reason it's massage oil is because I was told the essential oil would be too strong to apply on the skin.

Any reported experiences with lavender (massage) oil?

I cannot wear clothes at all, even when I put cotton clothing on. How have people dealt with having to go to the office and be in a corporate, client-facing role and weeks of this?

I also cannot shave for fear of aggravating my skin.

I read in one, singular comment that the person exercised during their PR bout: has anyone done it and does it heat up the rash or does it help overall?

Standing-up tanning booth: did 5 minutes on 22 Sept and 9 minutes today (3 days on). The frequency of UV exposure, as well as the length of the sessions, seem to vary greatly between people on the net. Some recommend a total of 6 sessions in 4 weeks, some every day, some 5 minutes, some 20! It will be useful to know at what stage of the PR bout (e.g. 1 week post-herald patch) did you start UV sessions and how long after (including frequency and length of time) did you actually see the patch start to fade or reduce?

I am going through an acrimonious separation and know that my stress levels are far too high and my immunity system weak, so I am convinced this is what enabled the virus to activate.

One final thing, a bleach bath was recommended on certain forums (you dilute a cap of bleach in a lukewarm bathtub) but I just can't get myself to do that. Anyone done it?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi natooz. Sorry for the late reply and I hope by now your PR has cleared up. I noticed a significant improvement after first tanning session in a booth. I took the advice from the staff as to how long the session should be according to my skin type. I hope some of my recommemdations in my original post helped you in some way. Take care.
  • Posted

hello! im from Philippines. Im also sufferring from Pityriasis rosea and it started on the last week of july. I consulted my doctor who diagnosed that it was a pityriasis rosea. She gave me cream and told me that I need a regular application of lotion since I'm not a person who apply lotion everyday. Now, I think my rash got worse. May I know what kind of head and shoulders did you use as a bath? I hope it helps me a lot. Thank you!

• Posted

Hello allanis. Sorry for the late reply...it's been three years since I had this. I hope by now your rash has cleared but just in case it was the normal Head and Shoulders I used. Take care

• Posted

I would like to try the sunbed method of treatment, but I would like to know if you(or anyone who's did this and saw positive results) are using tanning lotion.

Thank you

• Posted

no tanning lotion to be used, it will irritate your skin.

I saw improvement with tanning booths definitely, mine tooke about 4 weeks but healing accelerated mid-way when I started the tanning course

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply kait. It's been a while since I had PR but it's the UV light natural or not that seems to help. I hope your rash had cleared by now. Take care.

• Posted

Hi Karen i was searching the internet to try an get some answers about PR. I was diagnosed yesterday and it has completely covered me to the point im in tears every time i get undressed im 26 years old and feel disgusting sad I have been using calamine lotion to help with the unbearable itch. I have seen a couple of posts where people have showered with anti dandruff shampoo etc and it seemed to of helped them i was thinkng about booking some sun bed sessions to see if this helps when i saw your post. Would you reccomend using them? And like you said before, shower then moisturise with some lotion? I am so stunned by this rash that i have never heard of before and theres no cure apart from riding it out sad i noticed my hearald patch about 2 weeks ago and a nurse diagnosed me with ring worm and gave me some cream, a week later i was covered and the cream wasnt touching it. I then went back to the nurse and she said my patch was still ringworm and that i had scabies!!! I was mortified and in bits and spent a fortune on prescription. I later wasnt convinced after i reseached scabies so i went back and demanded to see a GP who straight away diagnosed me with PR and explained to me about it. I have found your post very helpful and would just like to know if yours went pretty soon after your sunbed and moisturiser procedure. Thank you! Fellow PR sufferer smile

• Posted

Hi Kirsty..firstly apologies for not getting back to you sooner. It was 3 years ago I had this horrible rash and know exactly how you are feeling. I hope by now that you have managed to get rid of it but just in case the most dramatic improvement I noticed was after using the sunbeds and moisturising. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.