PKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 8wks out bilateral pkr. Roller coaster emotionally/physically. This forum saved me at 3wks out. I walked 1st day po. Had some bleeding complications but iced and elevated NONSTOP. I used the CPM all night, never in day, for 3weeks. Each time i got up to bathroom, i swapped cpm to other leg. I had a lot of scar tissue. Finally week4 most of it broke loose-endless rubbing and wriggling it around like an obsessive crazy person,lol. I quit walker at 3 weeks. Pain meds 24/7first 2 weeks, night only for next 2.5wks. Advil only now. 0/-1 extentions and 124/128 readings at 6wks. I'd lose flexion after workouts because of swelling. PT 2x/wk. BUT i push at home, small bike peddles ($20 i started day 3), already owned a treadmill (.5-1mile 2x a day started at wk 6) and i use a stretchy band for leg AND hip exercises. I spend more time stretching than exercising. All the grabby, toothache feelings in my knees usually feel better AFTER exercises even if swelling persists. I've cried through MANY sessions knowing it was the SCAR tissue that i was breaking up and if i didnt do it now, later would be worse...I used saran wrap around knees at night(only) a few times when the sensitivity was so bad the sheets made me crazy. The nerve gets cut and as sensitivity returns-sometimes it never comes back- it seems SUPER-sensitive! LACK OF SLEEP night after night made me nuts, irritable, frustrated and magnified ALL the recovery process. When i slept, i was "normal". Sleep in 3hr blocks didnt come until week 6. All the swelling in my legs, wks 0-6, would shift when i laid down at night and make me have to go to the bathroom every 1-1.5hr!

My endurance is better. Week one i could barely put the pillowcases on wo being tired. I now can do 2 loads of wash, change the sheets, bake cookies, wash the floors and do my exercises. BUT I have to rest and elevate (legs still get some swelling) for 20-30 min increments. I still get tight muscles and soreness and aches in knees,hips and pelvis but I've come to realize THE MORE I DO, THE MORE I ENGAGE MORE MUSCLES that were not used and got VERY WEAK very fast.

Sorry so long. But everything you guys wrote SAVED me mentally. I got so depressed and even when i knew the surgery was necessary, i cursed it, cried and wanted to quit. It seemed like most people said the 5-6 week period things improved. They do, but NOT PERFECT EVERY DAY!!! Know this. But the good days get more, and the strength gets better. I still cant go down stairs normally but i can go up!

I hope i gave someone hope like you all did me. Ps. I lost 34lbs b4 my surgery, i was still overwt but the doc knew i could do it. Find someone who lets you vent, believes in you and BELIEVE IN YOURSELF! We can do it!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Thank u for your long message, lots of info. You sound like super woman, even baking cookies. U are so much better than me. I lay around all day and only get up for exercises, ice, leg on pillows above heart. I am old (70) and husband does the wash. I am usually tired, not much sleep at night: I am TKR at 6 weeks and two days. I'm depressed 😔

• Posted

Hi Nancy, just read your reply to AuntEG.

So sorry to hear you are depressed, have a look back at Chico Marx on the subject of depression after TKR.

He gives good advice.

Remember you are not alone! We have & are going through this, so let's go together?!

Keep your sense of humour, you need it. Life's too short to be down. Hard as it is, you will get through it!

You can always find a sympathetic ear on here, so use us all!

All the best on your recovery.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Im 52 and an RN. I have said MULTIPLE times during my recovery, " How do the older people do it when im having such a hard time?" As Marilyn said, "Use us!!" You're my hero to go thru it. Just keep doing your exercises and know you're not alone. The lack of sleep contributes to our depression. The last 2 nights have been hard ones for me.

We're here for you! Godspeed in recovery!

• Posted

Hi Nancy, I'm nearly 6 weeks from R TKJR & was seriously thinking I shouldn't have had it done, I was heading for depression. Then I posted on here and realised there were lots of others out there going through same and offering support. I'm also stubborn and thought this isn't going to beat me, even more so because I had to use my savings to pay for the operation. I live in New Zealand and unless I couldn't walk at all had no chance of having it done. So decided no way was I going to waste all that money and last week put more effort in and became more positive. It all has helped a lot. I do understand you feeling so tired and depressed but this time will pass and you'll get there, just be gentle with yourself but stick to the exercises etc and keep in touch with everyone here. By the way you definitely AREN'T old, I'm 70 too and there's lots more living to do with a new Knee! Take care Maggie.

• Posted

Hi Maggie,

I was so touched by your message. I'm so sorry you had to use your savings to pay for your operation. I live in the USA and have Kaiser and didn't have to pay anything. I had no idea I was so lucky. Using your savings probably helps you to be strong and determined. It's very good for me to read from you and others on this forum. Sometimes I tend to be a baby I think, even though I have this advanced age of 70 ha ha.

It's easy to see we're all in this together and I love reading the posts of people Who are further along than us and tell us it will get better they promise. I'm gonna believe them!

Keep up your good work and reaching out to others.

• Posted

Hello AuntEG

I'm so glad you're beating this! What a great person you are. Taking this op & kicking it into touch!!

It takes perseverance & guts to do what you did. The scar tissue must have been excruciating when moving& exercising.

It is good to hear from those that have gone through it & come out the other side.

I must agree with you on the postings here being inspirational. Between week 1&3 I felt really bad, wished I'd never had the TKR but reading that others were going through the same as me made me realise I wasn't alone in this!

I am now getting on for 13 weeks, have gone back to work & am getting up & down stairs (albeit not very prettily!). My bend still needs work, but straightening doing well. I now consider myself fortunate to have been given another chance. To be able to walk, sit etc without pain! Wonderful. Yes I still get niggles, pain at op site, but it isn't arthritis pain!

I think people like OFG & Chico inspirational, they know so much! I would genuinely like to say to OFG how marvellous I think he is considering all he's gone through!

Thanks guys & thank you AuntEG for your inspiration.

Good luck all

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Dear AuntEG,

Thank you for sharing your story! You are truly an inspiration!

Tammy

• Posted

YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!  Everything you talked about is completely normal...we've all gone through (or are going through) all of it.  Here's a big post...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

You will recognize a lot of it but read the Post-Op Depression section.  It might help.  With your ROM that good, it's time to rebuild quads, glutes and core...gotta get your strength back.  Slow and steady progress.  This takes a year...period.  Lose all your expectations and just do the work.  It will all pay off!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.