I've just been prescribed Tramadol ....and I'm not sure how to take it

i. Read that you let it dissolve in your mouth 

has anyone else had this medication?

2 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jean,

I had Tramadol in hospital, but just had a glass of water.

Would you mind me asking why it has been prescribed?  It is quite a powerful synthetic opium.

• Posted

I've just developed sciatica on the same side as my TKR....I haven't slept for more than an hour at a time since knee op ...but this added thing is driving me crazy ...I don't like bothering the Doctors but 

I couldn't stand it any longer and needed some help  hence the Tramadol 

• Posted

Sounds awful, but please take care.  This is a controlled drug.

• Posted

I presume the GP thought it was the best thing for me 

but I must admit reading all the posts about it scares me 

• Posted

Jean, You've developed sciatica since your TKR?

Sounds awful for you. Just to let you know Tramadol work best with paracetamol. I used to take 1 Tramadol 1 paracetamol every 6 hrs. 

I have my TKR next Friday I've learnt lots of things since joining this blog. 

• Posted

Jean, You've developed sciatica since your TKR?

Sounds awful for you. Just to let you know Tramadol work best with paracetamol. I used to take 1 Tramadol 1 paracetamol every 6 hrs. 

I have my TKR next Friday I've learnt lots of things since joining this blog. 

• Posted

Hi Christine 

the GP said I could take paracetamol with them ....I will try it later and see if I manage to sleep better tonight 

• Posted

They helped me Jean after my motorbike accident I had 8 broken bones and torn ligaments in my knees. The pain was excruciating but the Tramadol,  paracetamol,  helped a lot along with 4 other drugs and injections.

When the pain eased after a few months I only took Tramadol/Paracetamol & MST

• Posted

I just need some sleep and if the Tramadol helps ease the pain I should then be able to sleep

i have a problem with my spine so I suppose a combination of that and the TKR brought on the sciatica 

• Posted

Hello Jean,

My husband takes Tramadol for his back pain. He just swallows the tablet with water.

My doctor suggested today that I take Tramadol, but I had a bad experience with it a few years back, I am loath to take it again.

Caz 8 weeks post op - Australia

• Posted

Hi Joan I've been taking tramadol for a while now and no it doesn't desolve in ur mouth at all put them in have a glass of water ready to go and swallow as normal.. The only way they will is if one is broken which u don't take it or if u happen ti bit it which I've done and it's not very placenta at al but u have nothing to warrie about take as I said glass of water off u go.... Good luck 
    • Posted

Thank you for clarifying that for me

....the doctor said they would help me to sleep.  Fingers crossed 

• Posted

Hi sorry I also forgot to tell u if its  a 50 mg tablet u can take up to 400mg per day BUT if there a 100 SR ( slow relice ) u can only take them every 12 hours not before. If ur on both slow relice pluse the 50mg one the MAXIUM DOES FOR THE DAY IS 400 mg IN TOTAL FOR THE DAY and yes to strat with they my help u sleep so it's just more the driving u need to be careful about I'm now just taking the 50 mg so im fine but I've also been taking for a very long period of time as I said best of luck hopefully this will work with ur pain 
    • Posted

Thank you 

probably without the pain I will sleep for longer than an hour at a time

i don't want to take them during the day as I've driven my car for the first time today ....I didn't go far but it's a start 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.