plantar fasciitis and gastrocnemius recession - My experience + Surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

There's so much discussion about plantar fasciitis that I thought I would add my opinion.

I dealt with the pain in both feet for two year - shoes - inserts etc.  As a martial artist I tried to stretch over and over again. I was in pain all day long, but mornings was the worst. I took a trip to Washington DC in October 2017 and that was the clincher.

Finally in October 2017,  I sought treatment.  I had the shots and physical therapy.  By January 2018 i was mostly pain free.  Despite the constant stretching and karate, in March 2018, the pain was back with a vengeance in my right foot. 

Back to the doctor for another shot, but the Dr. ordered an MRI instead.  The weekend before the appt to review the test, i started having pain in my Achilles tendon.  The MRI showed multiple tears in the plantar fasciitis and surgery was scheduled.  Because of the new pain in the Achilles tendon, we decided to do the gastroncnemius procedure as well.

Like most people i read everything on the procedure and was beginning to have  doubts.  The problem with the net is everyone is always willing to post negative comments and the success stories not so much.

I had the procedure on April 15, 2018.  I was in the surgery center for only a few hours.  I think the procedures took less than 20-25 minutes.  I was sent home in a walking boot with crutches.

Day 1 - I have a very high tolerance for pain - probably because of the karate.  I took one Oxycontin as the gastrocnemius was causing the most pain.  the plantar faciitisomy  was barely noticeable. Lots of ice and Motrin

Day 2 - I took another Oxycontin and lot's of Motrin and icing.

Day 3 - 10  I stopped the Oxycontin and kept up with the Icing and Motrin.  By day 10 I no longer needed both crutches.  One was fine.  I progressively, as recommended by the Dr, increased the weight on my foot.

Day 14 - Ditched the boot for a sketcher shoe and the one crutch. took steps one at a time and started PT.

Day 21 - stitches removed and used a cane.  I could walk short distances without a cane.

Between day 21 and June 30, i was diligent about my PT.  I was walking 3/4 to a mile everyday by the middle of June walked two miles.

I never really had any pain in the heel again. It's all in the calf below the incision.  It's June 30, and i can still feel it when i stretch and do my PT at home.  I've sprinted 40 yards with no pain, but the therapist said to hold off until i don't feel the tightness in my calf.

I've been walking around in bare feet for the past month.  Do I feel tightness in the am?  yes, sometimes, but it works itself out after a minute.

Yesterday was my last day of physical therapy.  They were really impressed in how fast i progressed, but that's what happens when you do your PT every day, sometimes three times a day.  It will be another 3-4 months before that tightness goes away, but I plan on starting back my Karate in two weeks. 

You read a lot about inserts and this type of shoe and that type of shoe. I've come to realize that all that does is treat the symptoms, and not the problem. 

I am so glad I had the procedures.  I thought i could never walk around in bare feet again.  For me the shot was all i needed in the left foot and the surgery in the other.

My experience was positive and if the other foot ever causes me problems, i would not hesitate having the surgery.  But, i cannot understate the importance of PT.

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi All,

It's been 1 year since my surgery, so I thought I'd post a follow up.

If you asked me today would I have the surgery again, I would say yes. I don't miss the painful cramps that would wake me up 2-3 times a night with my foot trying to curl under, but there are some residual effects that I feel I should mention.

Some days, after spending all day on my feet in boots, my feet do ache. I say ache because it's not the same pain as before -- nothing like before. Maybe a better word is tender. I stretch almost every day and I think that helps it a lot.

The GR still feels tight sometimes and if I point my foot like a ballerina, I can feel the scaring tissue, but it's not painful at all and it's been diminishing with time.

It was not an easy decision and the healing time was longer than I expected, but I train karate in my bare feet and i'm back to normal training in that aspect.

I wish every one well, and keep stretching!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.