Plantar Fascitis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Had this for 4 months now in my right foot and it's getting worse, it's now affecting my toes too and I'm in constant pain, try to elevate and been rolling my foot over a can, putting gel on it etc to no avail.  It's taken over my life as I can't go out for long.   Has anyone got any advice for me?  It would be very much appreciated.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Chris,

Can sympathise as I have had it for 6 months and it was stopping my walks with the dog. I was told there wasnothing for it oter than exercises and a night leg brace but the exercses did not work and I have been waiting for an appointment at the hospital to find out more about the leg brace and aqua punture. I  a fer gel heel pads andthey did help a bitbut then y other knee started etting verypainfl due to arthritis that I have sterroid injection for but this time they do ot appear to be working. I started taking painkillers that I habeen given for th Knee and the pain in the knee eased but the Plantar fasciitis pain dissipeared and has not given me any pain for the last week s would be worthou giving them a try. The painkillers  are Indmetacin and shouild be available from your doctor OK as they are for arthritis and ligament or tendon painC which plantar fasciitis is.

• Posted

Thanks for yor advice, doctor's seem to think we should just put up with it, would be interesting to see how they'd cope!  I have fibromyalgia as well so am limited with that but find this so frustrating I'm used to going out every day but now can't do that and if I do go out it gets worse and is now affecting my toes!
  • Posted

Hi Chris,

I appear to have a brain problem as well now, I will try again INDOMETACIN think I have spelt it right this time, spelling never was my strong point.

• Posted

I have had PF in my right foot for going on 4 years now.  Sometimes it is better than others, but it is a very difficult injury to treat.  I have done exercises, had shock wave therapy, had inserts for my shoes, but none of these have solved the problem.  I am now saving up to have something called (I think) PRP which is where they take some blood, spin it round and inject it into the foot.  However it is expensive, costs four figures, and involves staying off your feet for a time.  I haven't looked into it in any depth, so don't take it as gospel.  I am not sure what practical advice to give you as   I've struggled to get myself right;  shock wave therapy did work for a time, but the. It regressed, so not a permanent solution for me. I personally would not rely on tablets as to my mind they will just act as pain relief and not give a long term solution to the problem, although if they give you a break from the pain, then I suppose that's something. I have never heard of Indometican, so can't give any feedback on these tablets.  I do hope I haven't sounded too negative in this post.  I would really love someone to come along and say this is a definite cure, but still waiting for that I'm afraid!
    • Posted

Blimey 4 years!!  Sounds like you've tried everything that PRP seems strange and very expensive couldn't afford that on my pension.  Wish GP's would take it more seriously as I feel at the moment it's controlling my life!  Thanks for your respose
  • Posted

Hi Chris it really is awful.  I am new to this site too and have had mine for about 8 weeks.  Elevating doesnt do anything for me.  The only relief i have had this christmas is taking paracetamol and ibrufen - i take 2 paracetamol then about 6 hours later take ibrufen,  then paracetamol again.  But you must take it regular to build up a pain resistance.  It has eased the constant pain to a more manageable level, but the sharp pain, i am yet to find anything to stop that.  Try not to stay on your feet too long, it really does make it worse!  Be careful how you walk.  I cant put my foot flat to the ground at the moment and any sudden movement is excrutiating!  So it is a hobble for now.  I am waiting to see the physio - will let you know how helpful it is.  You have my empathy - had my first nights proper sleep in weeks last night with this regime, hope it is helpful for you.  Best of luck Chris
    • Posted

Hi JiIl,

Sorry to say physio did not help with me but he did say gel heel pads would help and they certainly do ease it but in my case the INDOMETACIN has worked really well whereas NAPROXEN did not do a thing other than upset my stomach. Careful with the paracetamol as they are bad for the liver if taken long term or in quantity.

I am waiting for a hospital appointment to advise on night leg baces and aquapunture treatment but in the UK its a long wait as they do not consider it a serious condition.

• Posted

Hi Jill thanks for this you have my sympathy it's so painful and seems to have taken over my life limiting what I can do; much worse walking outdoors than in and that's bad enough.   My GP didn't offer any treatment other than elevating, painkillers and gel basically live with it!  Like to see him try!  Let me know about phusion please and good luck
  • Posted

Hi 

PF gives rise to the most excrusiating pain, I believe gout can be worse but much the same.

I am in the UK and now the weather is colder, I find sittting on the bath edge with my foot in a bowl and the shower head contantly flowing cold water into it helps. Not comfortable and must be done for about 30 minutes but can reduce inflammation and give some relief. Ok I know with the foot pain it is difficult to do this but it does help.

Drugs like Indometacin and Naproxen can really help but OTC stuff like Ibuprofin doesn't do much, nor do gels.

Foot rolling on frozen tubes can help as can stretching.but as I have said on a previous post, I don't think the medics really know how to deal with this. I get it it on a recurrant basis, between times I am fine and then...aaagh...the slight pain that gets worse and worse and I know I am out of action for at least the next week.

Sorry if I sound a bit gloomy but PF is really nasty and affects so many people in different ways.

• Posted

I agree the pain is dreadful and it's 24/7 too, my partner had gout which I know is painful but he's on medication for it and has been pain/symptom free for over 2 years.   It's so limiting and seems to control my life - it's difficult to walk at home and always is with a limp but if I go out anywhere and walk on hard pavements it gets much worse and swells even more.  Wish medics took it more seriously am sure they would if they got it!  Good luck
  • Posted

Sorry I should have doctors and medics do NOT know how to deal with PF.

It is one those non-life threatening, merely 'troublesome' conditions that we have to deal and live with.

Little do they appreciate the excruciating pain, lack of mobility, and debilitating consequences it can have.

• Posted

Hi David,

Were you there when my doctor said almost those same words, makes you want to say 'you try having it then and see how painful it is. As I also have gout I can agree the painlevel is about the same, my gout was in the big toe and the ball of the foot which would both swell up and go red where with PF it is just in front of the heel on the instep side but there is no swelling or redness.

I to do not like taking tablets but have to take allopurinul for the gout and that is OK now and then the INDOMETACIN for my Knee arthritis 25mg 3 times a day but now the pain has gone I will try cutting them down to one a day. Try looking them up on google and you will find they are for arthritis, gout and ligament?tendon pain so as I have all three it sounds ideal for me. Not advised if you have heart problems or stomach problems so go to your doctor to check before getting them.

• Posted

Will enquire about INDOMETICAN,  My PF is the whole foot including ankle and now toes and is permanently swollen it's driving me mad and limiting what I can do so very frustrating!  Good luck
  • Posted

I can really sympathise, I've been there! What I found helped was doing the calf stretching exercise as often as possible during the day, making sure the foot is stretched flat on the floor, for 20 seconds at a time. Also resting the foot as much as possible, stretching the foot before getting out of bed, stretching the foot whilst sitting at a computer, as often as possible.  Not carrying anything too heavy wherever possible, not walking fast, certainly not running. Mine gradually improved once I did these things to help the damaged tissue inside the foot to repair itself.  It can take a long time, you have to be patient as well as persistent. The first 6 months was the worst, then it very gradually got better over the next 18 months.  Respect the foot and help it as much as possible.     
    • Posted

Thanks Rob I'm doing what the GP suggested ie elevating; rolling foot on a can; using gel and taking painkillers not really helping though in fact it seems to be getting worse and is affecting my toes.  I'm limited in walking especially outside.   Can't believe so many people have this condition and nothing can be done!  Will try your seggestions and thanks!
    • Posted

Hi Rob

I can really identify with your response to chris.  The stretch exercises are good, but you do have to be persistant with it, ive been doing this the last week and it has helped.  Love your last sentence - very true!  I find your response both realistic and optomistic! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.