Plantar Plate Repair with Osteotomy - Recovery

Posted , 22 users are following.

I'm three weeks out from plantar plate repair with 2nd toe osteotomy. I'm not taking any pain medication at this point, but I'm concerned because I still get throbbing pains in my second toe and pulling, tingling sensations in the area that was repaired. I'm in a walking boot - weight bearing on the heel - and sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's really uncomfortable. Has anyone here had a similar surgery? How long did it take until your foot started to feel better than it did before the surgery?

1 like, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

File size is too bigHi my second that was dislocated was pinned not quite straight but better then before the operation I still had pain in the second metatarsal as it developed arthritis I've had a steroid injections which seem to have helped so far four months down the line I didn't get any physio for my foot had to to do it all myself I massaged my scars and its came out good good luck with your recovery File size is too big

• Posted

File size is too bigHi my second that was dislocated was pinned not quite straight but better then before the operation I still had pain in the second metatarsal as it developed arthritis I've had a steroid injections which seem to have helped so far four months down the line I didn't get any physio for my foot had to to do it all myself I massaged my scars and its came out good good luck with your recovery File size is too big

• Posted

hi

i am scheduled for plantar plate repair in 3 weeks. i do not have any pain but have a second toe that is drifting toward my big toe and slightly bending up. i went to a local ortho doctor who told me that i may not want to do surgery if i don't have pain but gave me a referral to a surgeon who specializes in plantar plate repair. i then felt surgery should be the option as the toe crossing could progress. what do you all think. would you do surgery if you had no pre op pain but needed to tape your toe down to wear shoes?

Thank you

• Posted

I had very minimal pain before my surgery, but my toe was drifting as well. My surgeon said I could tape them together and wear a boot, but that the end result would still be corrective surgery. I have to say that I do not regret having this surgery. My advice to others is to have physical therapy as soon as possible after surgery.

• Posted

Hi

It is nearly 5 weeks since the repair on my right plantar plate and over 18 months since the same op on my left foot.

i have to say that I wouldn't have had the surgeries if I wasn't in pain.

The surgery is a big thing - no weight bearing exercise for months.

My toes are a worse shape after my operations (they are both becoming hammer toes due to the scarring)

I had to do it because the pain was affecting every day life and preventing me from playing badminton.

For me though - no pain, no surgery.......

Good luck

• Posted

i had plantar plate repair surgery and 2nd toe osteotomy 3 weeks ago. i have screws. I'm in a boot and will stay in boot for 6 weeks. I use a knee scooter and crutches. They want me to start heel weight bearing which hurts so i only do that sometimes. My second toe feels so tight on top of my foot. The doctor didn't recommend physical therapy. What exercises have people done to help with the stiffness. i do straight leg and quad lifts without bending knee. Are we supposed to be bending/stretching toes?

• Posted

Hello joAnn1014 - I had the same surgery in early December 2016. The protocol my doctor specified for my recovery was much different. I was totally non-weight bearing for 6 or 8 weeks; then in a boot and starting physical therapy; then in a tennis shoe and continuing physical therapy. My doctor wouldn't perform the surgery until I signed a pledge to go to physical therapy when he said to go and to continue it until I was released. He said there is a short window of time during the healing process to begin PT so as not to build scar tissue and so as to regain proper mobility. My outcome has been excellent. Call your doctor and get a prescription for PT when it's time - somewhere in the 6-8 weeks post-surgery. PT is not pleasant - but it's essential for regaining full pain-free mobility. Good luck!

• Posted

I have a follow up appointment at 6 weeks. I will definitely address PT then. I was surprised at my last appointment when he said start weight bearing and i won't be needing PT. Thanks for responding

• Posted

Hi, I know this is an older post, but just checking in. I’m also thinking of having plantar plate surgery on my 2nd toe left foot.

• Posted

My Ortho thinks I have torn my plantar plate. Was in a boot for 3 weeks and not better so getting an MRI. If I have to have surgery how long till I can drive? I have driven in a boot before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.