Plate & screw removal from broken wrist

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi, for anybody out there who has broken their wrist resulting in plate & screws being inserted. After 10 months of intense physio I am still unable to bend my wrist forward or backwards & can only move a few fingers but cannot make a fist.

?I am due for an op tomorrow to have the plate & screws removed & wondered if anybody else has gone through this & what was the outcome.

I am extremely nervous as this will be done by local anaesthetic.

?I was told to prepare myself for a lot of pain once the nerve block for my arm wears off. However, if anybody found this op a great relief & experienced much more movement after intense physio again I would appreciate any info or advice please.

Regards

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

did any of you guys have nerve pain? tingling and numbess in your fingers? i had a volar plate removed from my wrist and a tendon repair on my thumb 14 days ago and now im having excruciating nerve pain in my fingers. specifically my index finger, middle finger, half of my ring finger and thumb. and i cant make a full fist because my index and middle finger are swollen with nerve pain.
  • Posted

Elaine - do you have an update?  I was just told by my surgeon that I will probably need my radial plate and screws removed.  They were put in 1/25.  The removal surgery scares me since the first surgery was beyond painful.  I'd like to know how yours went and how your recovery has been.

• Posted

Hi Jean,

My plate & screws were removed last Sept' & I had MUA under local anaesthetic. I was hoping that it would have been the end. It all went ok & I was in dressing for almost 2 wks. I had stitches removed & physio started immediately.

However, my fingets & wrist were so stiff they only performed the necessary on my fingers.

I can bend them but not make a full fist.

My wrist however had to be done at a later date so not to cause too much trauma or set off CRPS. I have my 3rd op on April 6th to hopefully get movement back in my wrist which is permanently rigid.

With fingers crossed I pray it will be a success.

Do remember to ask questions before the op, such as what exactly they will be doing, when will physio start etc.

Good luck & keep me posted as I will do...

• Posted

Thanks for the update. Good luck next week!  I hope this finally does it for you
  • Posted

Hi elaine . It's bad news that your plate removal did not work out well.I am 6 months post wrist surgery with volar plate n 6 screws inside. I can now make a fist and also drive my car. However there is a constant but mild pain in hand. Do not know if removal surgery will make it better. Pls suggest.

Good luck for your surgery this week.

• Posted

Hi Harshita,

Its been 17 months from initial break. Apparently the plate & screws insertion was a good job done but for me it was decided to remove because of the inability to move my fingers & wrist. I did have a lot of pain in varying degrees with the plate/screws in & had to resort to painkillers.

I know we all have different tolerances to pain, but having discomfort day in day out does get you down. It was my physio who told me to see my surgeon about removal as she was not getting far with my treatment.

Even after intense physio, the improvements were so slight that I had hoped removal was the answer for a full recovery.

I eventually had MUA which helped with movement of my fingers slightly, but physio was 2 weeks after all removal & I feel that was a bit too long as scar tissue sets in so quick.

This next op is again MUA to release whatever is hampering the movement of my wrist.

The discomfort is just bearable but any slight knock can be painful.

I can only explain it as if someone has put a metal glove on me tightly. My fingers are still feeling tight to bend even though they are better. I am also able to drive & have been back at work a year now with a week off after having my 1st MUA...on light duties.

I hope I will not be off work for more than 2 weeks this time as it is more invasive & my son gets married in 4 weeks!!

Thank you your best wishes. Do ask your surgeon questions if anything worries you...

Best wishes...

• Posted

Hi Elaine, Thanks for your answer. What is MUA? Best wishes for your surgery.

Regards, Harshita

• Posted

Hi Harshita,

MUA is manipulation under anaesthetic. I will have an injection....nerve block.... to completely numb my arm ready for an incision in my wrist. Right at this moment I am so ready for it as my hand & wrist are quite painful tonight.

Thanks for your best wishes...will keep you updated.

Tbh, if you are able to bend your wrist & make a fist without pain after further physio I would think twice about removal.

My plate never gave me any real pain, I put it down to the scar adhesions & possibly delay in starting my physio.

But whatever you decide, good luck in your recovery. It all takes time as we heal at different rates.

• Posted

How long it took for you to start moving wrist and what was it like first time moving ? Have you tried on your own or PT/OT helped with wrist movements. I’m a bit skeptical because my surgeon told not to try wrist movements yet and also turned down my request to send me to a therapist on my 4 wks appointment, I’m close to my 8 wks appointment next week and kept my fingers crossed. 

Please keep me posted about your plans to get the stuff removed as I have similar pl. thank you.

• Posted

I found this discussion quite useful and thought of sharing my condition.

I’m 42 , male. Fractured right wrist due road bike fall.the fracture is at the left edge of radius bone(middle of right hand wrist).Per surgeon My wrist was operated and fixed with a plate and 7 screws.My fall was on 2/28/18 and surgery on 2/20/18. I’m currently on splint which changed from cast about 2 weeks ago.Right now I can move all the fingers with exception to little finger which is still locked and doesn’t stretch fully, there is no fracture and dr told it must have been sprained .i can also do a weak fist. Surgeon advised not to move my wrist for the time being and I’m awaiting for my next visit which is in a week and I hope he will suggest OT soon.My wrist feels good during day times and early hrs are worst and not sure if it’s common but if I leave my hand downwards for sometime it still swells a bit and I could feel liquids moving.,excep for my little finger and wrist movements I’m good.

Finally I hope everything gets better with time, this seems to be a slower process though. I’m also thinking about removing the stuff after an year .

• Posted

Good luck with your recovery. It is a slow process. My injury is similar, but left radius, plus fractures in the ulna.  Surgery was 1/25 so I'm about a month ahead of you.  Mornings are definitely the worst from disuse during the night.  I've been in therapy since 5 days post-op and had the cast removed then (a little early but the swelling was so bad the cast was cutting circulation to the hand).  I've been told to expect swelling for at least 6 months.  Keep your arm moving though, as disuse can lead to shoulder pain.  If you can find a very soft, soft ball to squeezed periodically throughout the day this can help.  If not, be sure to flex and fist your hand 5-10 times, and do this up to 10 times a day.  Do not push your weight limit and keep that arm elevated - especially during the night.  Good luck 

• Posted

Hi elaine93514, I broken my wrist and had it screwed and plated 3wks ago today, I had a nerve block for the operation. The pain after the nerve block wore off was intense but if you take your painkillers before the pain starts you’ll be fine .. I was given paracetamol, ibuprofen, and codine... the codine worked well asleep most of time thought it but didn’t feel the pain while sleeping , after the first 24hrs after my op the pain was less and just a niggling plain, hope this helps ... I was more scared of being put to sleep than having the block, your arm will feel cold all though it’s warm have no feeing and feel heavy ... to me it was worth it but we’re all not the same or have same pain threshold... 
    • Posted

Hello Wally,

My break happened 17mths ago. After having plate & screws inserted under general & endless physio I had them removed last Sept under local.

Endless pain having developed CRPS from initial break to present day. I had MUA under local again which wasnt a problem. No feeling at all after procedure until 3hrs later when the pain hit me badly.

I am on Paracetamol & Ibuprofen. Need something stronger & I generally will not take pain relief.

Due to see physio this Friday....very very little change in movement.

My hopes get dashed after each procedure....thanks for your wishes...hope you are on the mend...

• Posted

Hi Elaine, I broke my wrist last November, was riding a mule, she went right and I went left. I got back on her (with a broken wrist) and came off again. Anyway, I had a plate and screws put in to repair my wrist, went in to PT after two weeks. Have been having poking pain in the wrist and arm. Ex-rays show that at least two screws have gone through the bone on the opposite side. Dr is saying that we will have to remove the plate and screws, but wants to wait until it has been at least 10 months from the break. I am just wondering if the pain will go away as scar tissue forms around the points of the screws. Kind of hesitant on another surgery.
    • Posted

Oh Mary I can feel your pain. It was Nov 10th 2016 I badly broke my dominant..right wrist. Plate & screws inserted but movement was almost impossible bending wrist back or forwards.

I had plate & screws removed 10mths later...last Sept. This was done under local nerve block where they manipulated my fingers as I could not make a fist at all.

To this date I can bend my fingers buy not able to make a fist.

Wrist never recovered to any form of movement so last Friday I had MUA again using local nerve block to bend wrist both ways.

They managed to get it bent but swelling & bruising stopped me being able to move it at all.

Movement within days is vitally important because scar tissue sets so soon & attaches to tendons, ligaments & bones causing restricted use.

The pain I am experiencing atm is relentless. My wrist feels as though a brillo pad is wrapped around it & rubbing with every movement. I have been attempting physio at home, little movenents but every little counts.

PT put me through it today & I have to repeat this at least 4 times a day along with painkillers.

You have had a very bad outing with your break especially where the screws ended up. Such a shame you have to wait a few months more before they are removed. That must be horrendously painful.

Did they mention CRPS...chronic pain syndrome? I had it from 1st op....not nice at all.

Also I developed FS through lack of arm movement which had a knock on effect with my wrist. Do keep a check on that! Its the scar adhesions that cause the stiffening but I dnt regret having my metalwork removed.

Keep exercising unless its too painful but certainly let your surgeon know.

Pain wears you down...

I wish you good luck in your recovery as it seems endless...ask all the questions you can think of & write them down...I did!

Best wishes & feel free to ask me anything you find may be of help with your injury...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.